Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier on this thread but I forgot about water guns. My kids have them in their bathroom and in their sand buckets for the beach and our pool bag. The also have Super soakers. They are not allowed to shot at each other if one is not looking and never in the face.

Overall, I think there is too much "What's good for my kid is good for everybody's kid!" and that's simply not true. Denying people, including children, something usually makes it more appealing. I think there should be a website where new toys/games are presented and all registered people can vote on it or make suggestions. If it "passes" and hits the public nobody can come along to try to get it pulled. There are probably hundreds of things I would never let me kid play with. Yet, I have never worried once about what anybody allows their kids to play with. Who has that kind of time and energy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 03:58 AM

501 posts, read 933,194 times
I'd like to add some more comments to my statement that I think toy guns are inappropriate.

I do not believe that playing with guns turns little guns into violent predators later.

I do not believe that playing with guns makes kids more apt to use guns as an adult.

Rather, I believe that guns should always be used in a safe manner with great deference to the very fact that they can cause severe injury or death. I believe that safe gun owners always respect the power of their weapon. Toy guns are never used in a manner that reflects firearm safety - they are used to pretend to shoot other people.

Should a kid who is comfortable with toy guns and enjoys "shooting" his friends with them find a real gun, there is a distinct possibility that the kid may not recognize the significance of the real gun, and then something bad happens.

I think it is great for kids to be involved in shooting sports where they learn correct firearm usage, weapon handling, and gain skills shooting at targets.

I support gun rights.

I do not support handling any firearm, firearm replica, or toy firearm in a unsafe* manner.

* By unsafe, I mean handling it unsafe if it was a real gun.

Last edited by twoincomes; 04-13-2014 at 05:10 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

I'm not aware that any of the boys from my childhood committed any crimes with firearms. I think that today's video games are much more violent. We would grow tired of running through the woods pretending to shoot at each other after an hour or so. Today's kids, teenagers and adults live in a fantasy world with video games where they go without sleep and other social activities to continue playing video games for countless hours and days.
Excellent point about the videos.

We had cap guns too, and later a bb gun. And there were definitely rules!

Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Toy guns are never used in a manner that reflects firearm safety - they are used to pretend to shoot other people.
Never?

My father was a WWII combat vet who knew exactly what guns could do. We had a variety of toy guns from cap shooters to spud guns. We were not allowed to point them at a person or an animal. Ever. We did, however, shoot any plant that looked like the desperado who'd just held up the stage coach.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Never?

My father was a WWII combat vet who knew exactly what guns could do. We had a variety of toy guns from cap shooters to spud guns. We were not allowed to point them at a person or an animal. Ever. We did, however, shoot any plant that looked like the desperado who'd just held up the stage coach.
Well, there you go. You learned gun safety at a young age, and used toy guns appropriately.

I stand corrected.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
I'd like to add some more comments to my statement that I think toy guns are inappropriate.

I do not believe that playing with guns turns little guns into violent predators later.

I do not believe that playing with guns makes kids more apt to use guns as an adult.

Rather, I believe that guns should always be used in a safe manner with great deference to the very fact that they can cause severe injury or death. I believe that safe gun owners always respect the power of their weapon. Toy guns are never used in a manner that reflects firearm safety - they are used to pretend to shoot other people.

Should a kid who is comfortable with toy guns and enjoys "shooting" his friends with them find a real gun, there is a distinct possibility that the kid may not recognize the significance of the real gun, and then something bad happens.

I think it is great for kids to be involved in shooting sports where they learn correct firearm usage, weapon handling, and gain skills shooting at targets.

I support gun rights.

I do not support handling any firearm, firearm replica, or toy firearm in a unsafe* manner.

* By unsafe, I mean handling it unsafe if it was a real gun.
They do not have to be mutually exclusive....most kids are smart enough to know that real guns are dangerous and toy guns are a toy...if a parent fails to teach that to a child..and it doesn't need to be done via a "firearms safety class' then they probably shouldn't have kids....it's pretty simple concept even a 2 year old can understand.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
You learned gun safety at a young age,
That's because my father knew any kid, no matter how bright, was still a kid and capable of going Full-On Stupid for absolutely no reason.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-13-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
They do not have to be mutually exclusive....most kids are smart enough to know that real guns are dangerous and toy guns are a toy...if a parent fails to teach that to a child..and it doesn't need to be done via a "firearms safety class' then they probably shouldn't have kids....it's pretty simple concept even a 2 year old can understand.
This, I disagree.

You cannot hand a real loaded gun to a 2 year old and expect that he knows better than to play with it.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
This, I disagree.

You cannot hand a real loaded gun to a 2 year old and expect that he knows better than to play with it.
Who would hand a loaded gun to a 2 year old?????? That is not the same thing as telling a child that a toy gun is a toy and a real gun is real and can kill people

Old 04-13-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Who would hand a loaded gun to a 2 year old??????
Someone who is drunk. Or high.

You seem to live in a very insular world. There are a lot of REALLY irresponsible adults who are fully capable of reproducing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting