Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Yes.....and we never had a problem with inappropriate behavior.....I'd much rather they all crash at my house then be off running around the city. Most of the times they would fall asleep watching movies on the living room floor. If parents are home and supervising. ...I don't see what the problem is.
The problem is that you can never guarantee that the parents are home and supervising. Sure, at MY house I know the kids are being supervised (to the point where I've slept on the sofa while they are spread out in sleeping bags on the floor), but I'm not so sure about other homes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
...My question is not "Should I or shoudn't I let her?" because my husband and I and are not going to let her do this...
Good for you!

Nice to see someone around here with good old fashioned common sense.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Interesting to see that it happens in some areas and not in others.

I did let her spend the night at a coed party that was held at a hotel. The mom was supervising and there was a room for boys and a room for girls. But just piled up in some kid's house--no. And at this particular boy's house, I'm not very confident that his mother would be actively supervising. I know that the boy is not well supervised and when I've talked to her, she has the attitude that he doesn't pay attention to what she says and she's helpless to enforce the rules.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Good for you!

Nice to see someone around here with good old fashioned common sense.
Hope my daughter sees it the same way some day! She is mightily ticked off right now.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
We did boy/girl sleepovers until sometime before puberty. After that, it was only permitted with my supervision for special occasion. But I didn't allow it for regular sleepovers because I had those a couple times a week. For example, during one regular sleepover, one of the girl who spent her childhood sleeping over our house wanted to sleep over when there were 5 guys spending the night here. I told her she was only allowed if she slept in the same room with me. She opted to go home instead. I just saw her a couple of weeks ago. While she was reminiscing about the good-old-days, she brought up that night and told me it was a good mom-call because one of the guys was her boyfriend. Even though I had no idea about the boyfriend at the time, there was NO WAY she was sleeping in the same room with all of those boys at my house. LOL

Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Hope my daughter sees it the same way some day! She is mightily ticked off right now.
My parents did not "know a thing" when I was your daughter's age. But as I grew older, they became smarter and smarter! By the time I was about 30, I realized they had some pretty good advice to offer!

You might try telling her about teen pregnancy and how that can wreck a kid's childhood (having to become an adult suddenly). But that will probably go in one ear and out the other.

You can also teach her about young boy's super strong sex drives and how they will do ANYTHING to get what they want - lie, cheat, steal, and rape. Note my best friend (who is 40) has announced that his teenage daughter is NOT going to be allowed to date period! Ever! (He is worried she will meet someone like him. )

Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
It's definitely a thing here. We would not allow our 17-year-old son to stay overnight at a sleepover after the prom, but we told him he could return in the morning. When he went back, he discovered that the event had been broken up at 3:00 by the police, who made all of the kids call their parents to pick them up. They were drinking and got loud, and the neighbors called the police.

You're welcome, son.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
It's definitely a thing here. We would not allow our 17-year-old son to stay overnight at a sleepover after the prom, but we told him he could return in the morning. When he went back, he discovered that the event had been broken up at 3:00 by the police, who made all of the kids call their parents to pick them up. They were drinking and got loud, and the neighbors called the police.
My children had a sixth sense for leaving parties before the police arrived. I don't know where they acquired this gift, but they always made me proud. LOL

Old 05-19-2014, 10:50 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
The problem is that you can never guarantee that the parents are home and supervising. Sure, at MY house I know the kids are being supervised (to the point where I've slept on the sofa while they are spread out in sleeping bags on the floor), but I'm not so sure about other homes...
I knew my daughter's friends parents...so I never felt that other parents weren't being responsible.

I think parents don't give their teens enough credit...sure teens make mistakes...but they also are pretty awesome when you give them the chance and lay out clear and reasonable expectations.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:02 AM

104 posts, read 241,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My children had a sixth sense for leaving parties before the police arrived. I don't know where they acquired this gift, but they always made me proud. LOL
If they're leaving, I would wonder how they are leaving. I'd rather they face the law than get into a car after they or their friends have been drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting