Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 03:45 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,402,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Discussing the possibility/impossibility of RAD is within the scope of the OP's defined topics.

She specifically asked if leaving her child for 10 days could harm her child mentally.
No. It's not. RAD does not occur in 10 days. Let's leave RAD out if the equation, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
It is totally absolutely necessary to travel kids-free SEVERAL times a year to maintain your sanity and enjoyment of life, if you have good close relatives to leave your baby with. Our kids are our blood suckers, and we need time to regain our strenght. When they are 4-5 years old, it becomes much more fun traveling together, but better wait till they are 7-8.
It is not absolutely necessary. Millions of couples manage to survive with no more than an occasional night out or weekend away, if that.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:58 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,060,098 times
Didn't read the whole thread, just the initial question. This is gonna be harsh but you should've never gotten pregnant and I really feel sorry for that kid when he/she realizes that his/her mom puts herself first. That child is going to have a hard life.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:16 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,388,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It is not absolutely necessary. Millions of couples manage to survive with no more than an occasional night out or weekend away, if that.
And then kick kids out as soon as they finish high school.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:19 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,256,324 times
If you have parents, grandparents, or other relatives that are willing to babysit the kid I say go ahead, spend a week or two in Paris when you want to.

But if they're not willing - the responsibility's on you with that kid. Check the stroller on the plane and take him/her with you if going to Paris is that important. Paris is a 1st world city - you can handle a baby there.

Although I agree with the others - more than 4-5 days away when the baby is <18 months doesn't sound like a good idea. After that a couple weeks with the grandparents is probably fine.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-23-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
And then kick kids out as soon as they finish high school.
or not?

~~~~

I don't know where people find the time to travel as much as some are suggesting with kids or without. Don't they work?

Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
That doesn't mean it's not necessary for some couples. Everyone has different psychological makeup and some children are more draining than others.

Quote:
I don't know where people find the time to travel as much as some are suggesting with kids or without. Don't they work?
It's not difficult for people who have 3 to 5 weeks of vacation or are self employed. We often took 3 vacations a year as a family and my husband and I would do two long weekends a year alone. One vacation was the big vacation, and the other two were camping vacations at various places throughout the country. For families with higher incomes, I'm sure three non-camping vacations would have been possible.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:56 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,210,230 times
I get about 6 weeks a year in total and I'm losing days right and left. My kid has gotten sick a number of times (SAHPs probably don't have to deal with this), so I've used days for that. Then I've been carting her everywhere to see family, which I don't consider a vacation. Then I've taken some mental health days to get myself together (cleaning, laundry, shopping).

I hope we can squeeze some alone family time in.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That doesn't mean it's not necessary for some couples. Everyone has different psychological makeup and some children are more draining than others.

It's not difficult for people who have 3 to 5 weeks of vacation or are self employed. We often took 3 vacations a year as a family and my husband and I would do two long weekends a year alone. One vacation was the big vacation, and the other two were camping vacations at various places throughout the country. For families with higher incomes, I'm sure three non-camping vacations would have been possible.
Give me a break. The poster said it is "absolutely necessary." He didn't say "for some couples." Most people can't afford to vacation at all. Of those who can, most can't take the time to vacation "several times a year." No one is dropping dead from it.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I get about 6 weeks a year in total and I'm losing days right and left. My kid has gotten sick a number of times (SAHPs probably don't have to deal with this), so I've used days for that. Then I've been carting her everywhere to see family, which I don't consider a vacation. Then I've taken some mental health days to get myself together (cleaning, laundry, shopping).

I hope we can squeeze some alone family time in.
My vacation time took a big hit this year. The kids were sick a lot more than usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting