Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 02:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think you will find it is not that "simple."
It isn't. I left one of mine after he had given up breastfeeding for the most part. Sometimes he would be interested, but not often. I don't know if it was guilt over leaving him, or just bad luck, but within 24 hours of leaving the country, I was engorged, and miserable. I had to request a manual pump via sign language.

eta: but, my son was fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 02:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It isn't. I left one of mine after he had given up breastfeeding for the most part. Sometimes he would be interested, but not often. I don't know if it was guilt over leaving him, or just bad luck, but within 24 hours of leaving the country, I was engorged, and miserable. I had to request a manual pump via sign language.

eta: but, my son was fine!
Aw man... At least he was ok!

I can't imagine why the OP would want to spend a vacation pumping every 4 or so hours. Doesn't sound fun to me.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:07 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Until you have the baby.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Just a little background on me: I'm 5 months pregnant with a planned pregnancy. My main passion in life is travelling. So today I was researching trips to Paris...hotels, things to do etc. I got really really into it. Even though I have no plans to visit anytime soon (difficult pregnancy, need to save money for home purchase and impending baby) I still enjoyed planning out this fantasy trip. So I messaged my mom...she is one of my main travel partners...we have made great memories together travelling.

Me: Been really feeling for a Paris trip

Mom: Hahaha. You will make Paris. WE will call her Paris! Doesn't sound bad at all lol!!

Me: Makes me very sad. To think of this child styming my movements. Maybe I can leave them with DH's parents for our trips (I would like DH to come too on trips)

Mom: Are you crazy?? To say what are saying is insulting and disgraceful and more so SELFISH. Stop it!!!

Me: Well I'm a selfish person I guess then. It is one life that I'm living. I'd like to enjoy it.

Mom: RU mad? Everyone has one life to live!!! not just you!! I don't want to listen to this. Why did you get pregnant???Or married for that matter???

Me: You know if I were a man you wouldn't call me selfish. But women are supposed to be self sacrificing. It is thrust upon them.

Mom: You are getting me VERY annoyed

Me: You cannot combat my logic so it annoys you. And your lack of logical argument annoys me!!
This is coming from someone who never thought they would be married much less have children. Neither were part of my dreams - I mean, they were, in a way but.....anyway, fast forward, during my pregnancy, I had so many emotions but when I actually had her (surprise - I didn't know it was a girl!), all my feelings totally changed. I couldn't imagine that I had this beautiful baby girl and I still melt when I think of those moments. Even though she is an adult now, I'll never forget how I felt and what she did to my life - all in a most positive way.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:50 PM

347 posts, read 695,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Aw man... At least he was ok!

I can't imagine why the OP would want to spend a vacation pumping every 4 or so hours. Doesn't sound fun to me.
Because I really want to go and am prepared to be inconvenienced to make it work.
However I'm still going to be flexible and possibly defer the trip again if it looks like my pumping plan won't work out. I guess I'll see when I'm in the situation.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:18 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
We're being way too judgmental. I live in a semi-ghetto neighborhood, and this is a rich person's problem compared to what kids in this hood have to go through.

She said the dad will stay home and take care of the child, so the conversation is between herself and him. (If I were him I wouldn't be looking forward to it)

Just the fact that there IS a dad and he is in a stable job is huge. Let's all take a step back and not judge the OP that harshly. She sank money into a Paris guided trip. I think, given what she's indicated about her family, that the baby will be fine for the 10 days she's gone.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-26-2014 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: removed racial remarks

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
They have a Ghettos in Bend Oregon?

Old 05-26-2014, 04:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
There are three sides to every situation: yours, mine, and the truth.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:54 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
It's no more acceptable for a man to just leave his child for nights at a time than it is for a woman.
And no LESS so either.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:12 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
At the end of the day the OP is a real person with real desires and is genuinely asking us if there is anything selfish about having them. The fact is there is nothing wrong with taking a week away - assuming she looks after the needs of the child. I think it is harmful to scaremonger her into feeling guilty by suggesting her choice will harm her child - when you can not back up at all the idea it WILL harm the child.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-26-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 05:25 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
At the end of the day the OP is a real person with real desires and is genuinely asking us if there is anything selfish about having them. The fact is there is nothing wrong with taking a week away - assuming she looks after the needs of the child. I think it is harmful to scaremonger her into feeling guilty by suggesting her choice will harm her child - when you can not back up at all the idea it WILL harm the child.
I provided the link to the site I referred. I provided the link to why it's a credible source while you bring nothing to source to back your point. You somehow think it's scaremongering, of which you have provided no evidence for other than your opinion.

eta: and I want to make that point clear. If someone disagrees with a statement, doesn't find a sourced link credible, or content from a site to be on par with current literature then make your case. Calling it fear mongering is not a retort. It's just insulting.

Last edited by Jaded; 05-26-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting