Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times

Advertisements

If a decision needs to be made for your child concerning their health (for instance deciding on a course of treatment e.g. antibiotics) and you and your partner disagree on what is best for the child how do you end up reaching a decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:17 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times
We follow the physicians advise. We never ever take our own decisions when it comes to health.
Really, why would you even consider otherwise?

Is he disagreeing with the physicians advise?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
That only happened once for us and it was the first time my daughter had a cold. He didn't want me to take her to the doctor but I wanted to and did. She had an ear infection and the doctor prescribed antibiotics.

If there was a legitimate question about treatment, I would listen to what my husband had to say and would also defer to the doctor. But if I thought she needed to go to the doctor for any reason, even a "mother's intuition," I'd take her whether he thought she needed to go or not.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 AM

He's disagreeing with the doctor's advice and wants to get a second opinion (from a doctor he knows will agree with him) which seems ridiculous to me for the issue (antibiotics for strep throat). This happens with pretty much every medical decision so we're trying to figure out guidelines for us so we don't argue every time (he actually called child protection services today over this!)

Old 05-30-2014, 09:47 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Strep can be very dangerous without treatment. Sorry, but that one is a no-brainer.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Strep can be very dangerous without treatment. Sorry, but that one is a no-brainer.
Not really.

It is overdiagnosed and has a very low sequelae rate.

Antibiotics for ear infections...also usually over-prescribed.

I know it is easier for me bc I know when it really is time to take something, but as a physician, I pretty much avoid medicating my family. Especially antibiotics. People get antibiotics bc they are patient pleasers. You have no idea how angry people get if you imply they should let their bodies heal themselves. Or that a virus simply takes time. Not to mention this nonsense about how the snot colors mean something, etc.

In 9 years, my wife has taken abx twice. My son once...and I did not really think it was necessary, but I also refuse to treat my family (I just tell them when it is time to see the pediatrician/their doc).

I hurt myself pretty badly 2 weeks ago. Fell off my bike and my back was so messed up I could not straighten out. I could not sit for more than a minute and every position was uncomfortable. Tears in my eyes painful.

I took cayenne, did stretches, heating pad, used my accupressure mat, and ran a 5k 10 days later.

The answer to op is that they need to find a doctor both parents like and trust and go with the third party tie breaker.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:04 AM

We can't find a doctor we both like and trust, we live separately and she sees my local doctors when she's here (which is whatever doctor is available when its an urgent appointment) and his local doctors when she's there.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
In a court of law (in the U.S.), they would not accept testimony from someone who is not a recognized expert in the field.

So perhaps that might help a bit - find an expert (ear nose and throat doctor?) and follow that advice. And if neither of you have medical degrees, then neither would be considered "experts"!*

*Many "mothers" are considered experts in my area!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
We can't find a doctor we both like and trust, we live separately and she sees my local doctors when she's here (which is whatever doctor is available when its an urgent appointment) and his local doctors when she's there.
Why is she going to the doctor so often that you need two sets of doctors?

Everyone should have a medical home...their one doc or group of docs who knows and follows them for years...who knows them best.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why is she going to the doctor so often that you need two sets of doctors?

Everyone should have a medical home...their one doc or group of docs who knows and follows them for years...who knows them best.
Well she doesn't go to the doctor that often but in the case of sudden illness like strep throat, ear infections etc. she goes to whichever doctor she is near. She has one paediatrician though where I live but that's not for urgent appointments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting