Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Recreational leagues are leagues where the youngest children learn to play the sport. They usually have games, but often these are just scrimmages at the local field. They don't travel for games usually. They often only have practice one day a week if that. Sometimes they even have special needs teams and players. They may be run by the local parks and rec department or a church or a Y rather than the big sports organization the traveling teams are run by. Recreational teams don't have tryouts. Anyone can play. Usually rules require that all players play for at least half the game. Often teams are divided up to match all levels of skill on each team so no team has an advantage. A recreational player is assigned to a team randomly without regard to his skills. The objective is for the children to learn the game and enjoy playing it. Winning is not a big measure of success although there are certain winning and losing teams.
In my area some rec teams travel. It depends on the sport.

For lacrosse they travel. They play other local (within an hour) teams. There are no tryouts. Everyone makes the team. Everyone plays. There is an attempt to even out the teams so that a city with multiple teams has relatively even teams. They practice 2X a week for the younger age groups and 3X a week for the older age groups. They keep score at the games but there are no playoffs of championships. Coaches are volunteer.

Club lacrosse has tryouts and teams travel, sometimes out of state. There is generally a pretty high team fee. There is no guarantee of playing time although a reputable club will not take players who have no chance of playing. Coaches are paid a stipend as well as travel expenses.

Club and rec lacrosse play at different times. It is possible to do rec lacrosse without playing club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 03:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In my area some rec teams travel. It depends on the sport.

For lacrosse they travel. They play other local (within an hour) teams. There are no tryouts. Everyone makes the team. Everyone plays. There is an attempt to even out the teams so that a city with multiple teams has relatively even teams. They practice 2X a week for the younger age groups and 3X a week for the older age groups. They keep score at the games but there are no playoffs of championships. Coaches are volunteer.

Club lacrosse has tryouts and teams travel, sometimes out of state. There is generally a pretty high team fee. There is no guarantee of playing time although a reputable club will not take players who have no chance of playing. Coaches are paid a stipend as well as travel expenses.

Club and rec lacrosse play at different times. It is possible to do rec lacrosse without playing club.
Seriously, I cannot imagine putting a 5 year old in LaCrosse. It's a great sport, but you need a lot of equipment and it is pretty rough. I see there are teams for 4 and 5 year olds, but really, why?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Another vote for perfectly normal, at least normal 20 years ago when I was in "little league"

Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Martial arts tend to be extremely expensive, though, (especially with more than one person to have to pay for). Also, if you want to advance, you'll be expected to go at least two, often three, times a week.
The martial arts offer so many benefits, I think it's worth the extra expense. There are many sports that are much more expensive too. I know first hand about that. Martial arts studios offer family discounts. It's comparable to a family belonging to a gym. When my children took karate, I saw parents taking classes too.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:57 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The martial arts offer so many benefits, I think it's worth the extra expense. There are many sports that are much more expensive too. I know first hand about that. Martial arts studios offer family discounts. It's comparable to a family belonging to a gym. When my children took karate, I saw parents taking classes too.
They do offer great benefits (I did Tae Kwon Do and Karate at different times in my childhood.), but in my area they cost over $100 per month per person. Even with a family discount, it won't be an inexpensive activity. (These activities are often more expensive in my area, so it is likely not as expensive where that poster lives.)

Old 07-16-2014, 05:31 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Another vote for perfectly normal, at least normal 20 years ago when I was in "little league"
Agree. I would like to strangle whoever invented 'travel' team sports. My son is 19 now and still swims in college but I only travel to one meet! We spent half our life on the road, away for 3 day week-ends, beginning in middle school.

Exhausting. BUT - better than doing drugs. That's how I looked at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
They are very low-key leagues that are typically run by the town/city/township Sports and Rec, or sometimes the Parks Department in the area.

They tend to have all teams be 'in house' and really don't keep stats other than win/lose for the teams. They concentrate on skills development and sportsmanship.
The town where he participated in 'rec' league was INSANE - especially when it came to soccer. Life or death - every game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
I don't have children yet, but this thread interests me. I was planning on getting my kid involved in some martial arts classes, rather than soccer, t-ball, etc. Martial arts seem more applicable to the real world, are getting much more popular these days, and it's something I could actually do with my kids, rather than just sit in the bleachers and watch. There are some great dojos near me where both the kid and parent can participate. The kid and adult sessions are right next door, and lots of parents are doing this around here. The whole family can get exercise this way!
Martial arts is cool. Great family exercise.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:17 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
I find this topic interesting, because I've had several discussions/arguments with my friends on the topic.

- HOW do you want to spend time on the weekends with your kids?

I'm lazy. I like to sleep in, go to the Farmers' Market mid morning, maybe go toss a frisbee/nerf boomerang or go for a hike or bike ride or razor scooter ride on Saturday. I DONT like to get up at 6am on Saturday to make it to a game an hour away. It's like teaching your kid it's normal to "work" six days a week.

The cost of some of these organized competitive leagues is obviously a racket with the team uniforms, trophies, souvenier videos/pictures for sale, pizza night and car wash fundraisers, blah blah blah. I just don't feel good feeding into this machine - note that I've *NEVER* bought a Dodgers/Angels/Ducks/Clippers/Lakers/Rams?/Raiders? ticket in my lifetime. YMMV.

I did raise a teenage stepdaughter, and forced her to do cross-country running. That had zero impact on my workweek schedule because practice was at the local school/park and the kids took the school bus to the track meets. stepdaughter did do the LA Marathon, and to the best of my knowledge has never voluntarily run a mile since.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I'm lazy. I like to sleep in, go to the Farmers' Market mid morning, maybe go toss a frisbee/nerf boomerang or go for a hike or bike ride or razor scooter ride on Saturday. I DONT like to get up at 6am on Saturday to make it to a game an hour away. It's like teaching your kid it's normal to "work" six days a week.
It's not teaching that to children. In their minds, it's not "work" to go watch them play a game an hour away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I did raise a teenage stepdaughter, and forced her to do cross-country running. That had zero impact on my workweek schedule because practice was at the local school/park and the kids took the school bus to the track meets. stepdaughter did do the LA Marathon, and to the best of my knowledge has never voluntarily run a mile since.
That's most likely because you forced her. Most parents don't force their children to play sports. I let my children choose what they wanted to do. They still participate in quite a few of the sports they did as children.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM

390 posts, read 824,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Martial arts tend to be extremely expensive, though, (especially with more than one person to have to pay for). Also, if you want to advance, you'll be expected to go at least two, often three, times a week.
There are some great dojos around me that charge less than $100 per month, and give family discounts. Also consider that it would save parents time - not to sound selfish, but I'd rather be spending a few hours a week doing an activity that benefits everyone, not just my kids. I did martial arts as a kid, and loved it - I'd love to get back into it. I did other sports as a kid, but martial arts is the only sport I did that still gives me benefits to this day - I still know how to properly kick, punch, and defend myself to a certain degree. Maybe getting my kids into it would be just the thing! Martial arts taught me discipline, respect, and was great for physical conditioning, balance and dexterity. It would be a great bonding activity for the family as well! With something like football or soccer, I couldn't really participate with my kids.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Seriously, I cannot imagine putting a 5 year old in LaCrosse. It's a great sport, but you need a lot of equipment and it is pretty rough. I see there are teams for 4 and 5 year olds, but really, why?
Because it's FUN! Aren't sports supposed to be fun?

According to US Lacrosse rules there is no hitting below the U13 level. That is consistent with my experience. There was no hitting in elementary school and limited hitting in middle school. Even in high school the trend is towards faster play and less hitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting