Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
You are backtreading on your "rare" statement then.
I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that in your area middle school students would not have access to their own cell phone.

I note that you still haven't answered my question either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 AM

419 posts, read 846,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that in your area middle school students would not have access to their own cell phone.
I found a source online that states 78% of U.S. kids age 12-17 had a cell phone in 2013. Higher in certain communities and lower in others.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I found a source online that states 78% of U.S. kids age 12-17 had a cell phone in 2013. Possibly higher in certain communities and lower in others.
Okay....but that is still a large majority.

And again, what is your view of school message and bulletin board that are used for classes?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Okay....but that is still a large majority.
The teacher gives a written test to his/her 27 students. But only 21 of them have a pencil (~78%). No child left behind

Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
The teacher gives a written test to his/her 27 students. But only 21 of them have a pencil (~78%). No child left behind
You seem to be under the impression that the teacher wouldn't already know what students have access to what tech in the first place.

I can't tell you how many start of the year surveys that have been filled out with questions such as 'Does your child have access to a computer? ' and 'Do you have internet access at home?' and 'Can you or your child receive text messages?' etc etc etc.

I have also never seen a teacher not provide multiple communication streams to make sure all students were reached.

And again (and again it seems), I ask you, what is your view of school message and bulletin board that are used for classes?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Our two middle school daughters don't have cell phones, have never asked for them and don't need them. They each have their own computers, e mail accounts and dad can get texts.

BTW we live in a community with one of the highest educational areas in the country with more PhDs than almost anywhere else. Their lack of cell phones does not mean they lack tech knowledge or access.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Our two middle school daughters don't have cell phones, have never asked for them and don't need them. They each have their own computers, e mail accounts and dad can get texts.

BTW we live in a community with one of the highest educational areas in the country with more PhDs than almost anywhere else. Their lack of cell phones does not mean they lack tech knowledge or access.
I know where you live.....I am from not far over in Wake County - which also has a very high education rate and more universities and colleges than just UNC-CH if you want to pull that trump card....we have plenty of friends in Chapel Hill.....and yes, all the teens I know from there ( the youngest is.....a raising 7th grader) have cell phones.

Also, cell phone use is really not the argument here....it's a rabbit hole the OP has started to detract from the original premise. It's the use of tech by teachers to keep in touch with students. Some people are claiming that emails and class facebook pages, as well as texts are inappropriate. (I've not yet gotten an opinion on school message boards though I have asked repeatedly.)

Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Teachers texting their minor students is inappropriate. They don't need 24/7 access to each other. A parent should report that immediately to the administration and school board. They will surely put a stop to that. Also, teachers should not be Facebook friends with their students.

I heard that if you pay the dollar (for a child e-mail account) that the e-mail company won't sell that e-mail address to spammers for a few years. No spam, as long as your child doesn't enter it anywhere to be compromised. Might be worth $1 for me to sign up for kids e-mail for myself!
Do you regularly spout off about things you know nothing about?

The Facebook page is a group page related to a club my daughter participated in. There were both public posts and private messages about activities and events.

Same thing about the texts. They are group texts sent to students that say things like "Dress rehearsal for the play will be Wednesday." Oh, how dreadfully inappropriate.

Electronic communication saves time, money and resources like paper. It's time to join the 21st century.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:10 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
I can't see any reason why any child shouldn't have an email account as soon as they can operate a computer.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Same thing about the texts. They are group texts sent to students that say things like "Dress rehearsal for the play will be Wednesday." Oh, how dreadfully inappropriate.
If a teacher calls my home to tell something to a middle school son or daughter of mine, then I first would want to know what it is. No different with a text message from a teacher. That text from the teacher should come to me as a parent and I will pass along the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting