Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:38 PM

62 posts, read 263,652 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious when and how the method of "time out" for young children was introduced in US.
I never saw "time out" method in my native country and it looks very strange to me.
Since I have a young child and need to think about various discipline methods, it will be helpful to know the origin of this method.
Although I don't have a intention to use it, I'm afraid that this might be uesd to my child in a preschool or elmentary school.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:55 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,988 times
Child time-out - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
It's a rather insipid form of punishment that came in as anti-corporal punishment sentiments became common about two generations ago.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:36 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It's a rather insipid form of punishment that came in as anti-corporal punishment sentiments became common about two generations ago.
Or more commonly referred to as an alternate way of punishing or reprimanding a child for bad behavior.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Thank you for pointing out the reference.
This confirms my guess that there is something artificial or unnatural in "time out" technique.
I think this is only possible in US.
Most other countries have well established traditional methods and adjustment of them based on new developments.
I'm not sure how and why parents in US are adopting this "invented" technique.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
This confirms my guess that there is something artificial or unnatural in "time out" technique.
Most other countries have well established traditional methods and adjustment of them based on new developments.
I think you're right. It's like any fad here. Pop psychology. Some people see it as a one-size fits all kind of punishment instead of following their parental instincts for dealing with their kids.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Sorry, what else are you supposed to do...beat down the kid?

Timeout works pretty well because the child is not getting attention and not allowed to be part of the group (when used in school) until he or she calms down.

Parents can successfully use time out to avoid themselves getting angry at the child.

Often children get hit due to frustration (from both sides). Put the kid in time and walk away.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,805,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
Please explain some of these well established traditional methods that we are missing out on.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,027 times
I don't think it's any new way to deal with kids, it's just a specific label with a specific place pointed out that limited where the child was sent.

Parents have been sending kids away from the action as punishment for misbehavior for decades. Sent to sit on the stoops, sent to their loft, sent to bed, sent to the corner of the room, sent outside, sent to sit on the chair in silence....are all the same concept of time out. The idea was to get the child out of the situation in order for them and/or the parents to calm down and have a minute to think about it.

Even if there was spanking that went on, they were then sent somewhere afterwards, so it was even used in that situation as well as an add on.

Time out just came with a more strict definition. When a kid got sent to their room and had more fun there because of all the toys, it became ineffective. Parents had to find somewhere that wasn't fun. :-)

Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Sorry, what else are you supposed to do...beat down the kid?

Timeout works pretty well because the child is not getting attention and not allowed to be part of the group (when used in school) until he or she calms down.

Parents can successfully use time out to avoid themselves getting angry at the child.

Often children get hit due to frustration (from both sides). Put the kid in time and walk away.
I'm not trying to discuss the best method to discipline children.
I'm no expert on this and still trying to do my best to take care of my only child.
My point was just a cultural observation on the practice of "time out" in US.
My belief is that any method can work as long as the parents give love and care to children.
But I thought the methods tested throug many generations have better chance compared to the invented method with strict rules.
The best thing in US is that anyone can be in but that also means that there is no tradition accepted by everyone.
I thought that this aspect might compell many parents to adopt "scientific" methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting