Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
So, you're okay with them being intimate? I doubt that you would feel the same way if your DD was straight.
My thoughts too, if your 16 year old daughter brought a teenage boy home would you allow them to share a bed and sex in your home.

I know young teens are experiencing intimate relationships but at 16 not under my roof especially with a 12 year old in the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 08:09 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris2011 View Post
Hello - I am a very new member of this forum and hope to get constructive feedback on a dilemma my husband and I have been having. He has a DD and I have a DD - mine is gay and 16 and has a wonderful girlfriend. My husband's DD is 12 and he does not want her to be exposed to gay teen sleeping together as that might give her a message she would hook up with a boy in high school and then possibly get pregnant. I say to him my DD has been open and upfront and asked if it was okay for her and her girlfriend to sleep over whenever her girlfriend comes to visit (she lives in another state, about an hour and half away). I told my husband he needs to sit down and talk with his DD about all of this and it has been sending mixed messages to my DD and her girlfriend. My DD and her girlfriend behave very appropriately and use her bedroom in privacy at night, but my husband fears this is sending a message to his DD it is okay to sleep around. Any feedback? Thanks.

Your husband is absolutely right; it doesn't matter if she's gay or not, she should not be having sleepovers at 16 years old. Just because your daughter can't get pregnant isn't the issue here. What are you thinking?!

Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Thank you! All of this is relatively new territory for my husband and I with my DD as this is very recent. To the poster who asked if I was okay with my DD being intimate with her gf, I advised her I did not want to see any intimate behavior in front of me or my husband. It would apply the same principle if she was dating a guy. Gay or straight.

about what your favorite comic
If it's all new to you, FYI Lesbians are intense

Hence the common "U-Haul" joke. (that women tend to move in together quickly)

It's all good. Plus it makes it even more romantic to a kid when their significant other is not local.

There's also a bit of radfem going on now. (radical feminism). Being mad. Anti-men. Anti gay men especially. A LONG list haha.

Try and keep her out of all that and upbeat and positive if you can. She's in a very confusing culture and the internet fans the flames.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 AM

11 posts, read 10,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
If it's all new to you, FYI Lesbians are intense

Hence the common "U-Haul" joke. (that women tend to move in together quickly)

It's all good. Plus it makes it even more romantic to a kid when their significant other is not local.

There's also a bit of radfem going on now. (radical feminism). Being mad. Anti-men. Anti gay men especially. A LONG list haha.

Try and keep her out of all that and upbeat and positive if you can. She's in a very confusing culture and the internet fans the flames.

Thanks :-) The bottom line is having a younger child at home and dealing with a gay teen DD and her out of town girlfriend - since DD came up to me (someone told me that she was very brave coming up to me telling about herself and that I had to keep an open mind and not be judgmental) and talked to me. All of this is very recent and the effect on my husband's DD has been minimal to my husband's relief. He does support LGBT rights just when it comes to sleepovers, that is a another thing. I personally will not force my DD to be straight or gay, her sexual orientation is her own as long as she does well in school and has a healthy circle of friends which she does. She recently applied to a number of part time jobs and one is interested in hiring her.

I personally know of someone who has a gay DD and has allowed sleepovers in her own home

What was I thinking?!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:02 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
My thoughts too, if your 16 year old daughter brought a teenage boy home would you allow them to share a bed and sex in your home.

I know young teens are experiencing intimate relationships but at 16 not under my roof especially with a 12 year old in the home.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with this! No way would my parents would've let me have a guy sleepover. Over for dinner? Sure. Family BBQ? Sure.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
(someone told me that she was very brave coming up to me telling about herself and that I had to keep an open mind and not be judgmental)
...as long as you remember that "not being judgmental" is not the same as "let her do whatever the heck she wants so I do not appear to be quashing her gayness."

You are still her mom, and it is still your job to guide her decisions toward the healthy side. Doing that is not the same thing as judging.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:

I personally know of someone who has a gay DD and has allowed sleepovers in her own home
Wait ... YOU did this, did you not?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, that's what she said, that they did their business behind closed doors in her bedroom.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 AM

11 posts, read 10,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

NO - another parent who has a gay teen DD (not me) and has allowed sleepovers in her own home -- we have not encouraged regular sleepovers as this is very new to us and we have just had the discussion with my DD.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoting you: "My DD and her girlfriend behave very appropriately and use her bedroom in privacy at night, but my husband fears this is sending a message to his DD it is okay to sleep around."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting