Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 02:45 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times

Advertisements

My daughter had several AG dolls (she was born in the early 90's). Her first doll was Samantha, and later Josefina, Kit, Kirsten, and probably a couple of others. I know there was at least one "New" doll that had the same name as my daughter so she has that one. Before people gasp that we spent that much money on dolls, clothes, etc. we bought most of the dolls at a significant discount. Many years ago, the company held a yearly sale of discontinued items, refurbished dolls, books, etc. One gained early admission to the sale if one volunteered at it for a few hours or day. The company donated the proceeds to a children's museum I think. A friend, are daughters, and I did it for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 02:54 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
My daughter has 4 of them. A look a like, Josefina, Kit, and one other...maybe Felicity, I can't remember. She has other books though, too. She is learning the American Revolution in school so we were discussing the Felicity book just the other day. They are probably the most played with toys of hers and she carries one around on nearly every trip we take. We happened to be in Oshkosh, WI about 5 years ago and the outlet store was having a clearance. We hoped she would be playing with them for a while, so we bought a ton of stuff for about 20% of the regular cost. These have been birthday, Easter, and Christmas gifts for the last 5 years. We are just now tapped out on accessories, which is good because she has plenty of stuff.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Before people gasp that we spent that much money on dolls, clothes, etc. we bought most of the dolls at a significant discount.
I wouldn't care if you spent a ton on them, if it is a valued toy, it is worth it. We all spend lots of money on things we think are valuable, that others think are junk.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:41 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, we have a lot. I bought myself a new Kirsten and several of her outfits the year before I got married, so that was 1995. I now also have Addy, Caroline, Felicity, and two modern dolls--one with an "Asian" look, another with medium skin and brown hair/eyes, all of which were bought used on Craigslist or Ebay. One of the modern dolls was $5 at a thrift store. Several years ago I was scouring eBay for clothes and accessories and got quite a lot for much less than the original prices.

Both of my girls were given Bitty Baby when they turned 3.

Later, my older daughter got Josefina (purchased used) and a modern doll from the store.

Younger daughter has another Felicity (again, purchased used), and two modern dolls from the store.

As my girls grew older and played with their dolls less, a friend and I had the idea to offer history workshops incorporating the American Girl historical characters. We now do this several times a year, so all the dolls come out and get to show off their historical costumes, furniture and accessories while we teach a group of young girls about American historical eras and do related crafts and cooking projects.

My daughters are keeping most of their doll things, but they also recently decided to sell some of the modern outfits on eBay. They both got a decent amount of money from that. All in all, the dolls have been a good investment.

I haven't bought much new for several years now. I have to say the quality has gone down and the prices have become ridiculous. The outfits used to be beautifully detailed and include a lot of parts. Now all you get is a skimpy dress, flats, and a hair accessory for $36.

I am also disappointed that AG has never offered a doll with dark skin in their "Girl of the Year" line, which has been going on for 12 years now.

So first this is absolutely not meant as rude, you have dolls? As an adult? I'm asking because my therapist suggested I get a doll or dolls since I wasn't allowed to have them as a kid, or toys after a very young age. I just don't know what I would do with them. But par of me wants one...or 10

Old 11-25-2014, 03:43 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I wouldn't care if you spent a ton on them, if it is a valued toy, it is worth it. We all spend lots of money on things we think are valuable, that others think are junk.
I agree. I sort of feel guilt, but then again, ag toys are made really well and there is something very special about them. My daughter plays with them daily, and asks me to baby sit when she goes to school (I do nothing but if she asks I tell her about the great day the girls had).

I just wish they had full size ag boys. My son wants one. He has one of the boy twins, but it's not the same

Old 11-25-2014, 04:31 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So first this is absolutely not meant as rude, you have dolls? As an adult? I'm asking because my therapist suggested I get a doll or dolls since I wasn't allowed to have them as a kid, or toys after a very young age. I just don't know what I would do with them. But part of me wants one...or 10
I do! I'm 45 and American Girl was not around when I was little. I first saw their catalog when I was in my early 20s. I wanted one as soon as I saw them, but they were expensive and I was "too old," so I didn't... The year before I got married, I unexpectedly came into a little money and my fiance, bless his heart, encouraged me to get a doll if I wanted one so much, so I bought Kirsten.

I figured I would give the doll to my daughter(s), if I ever had any. I ended up with two girls, but I found I was quite unable to turn Kirsten over to them! They got their own dolls and for several years we happily collected doll things together. I was quite sad when they started losing interest.

So, now, my six dolls are up on a high shelf in my room, except when I get them down for one of the AG classes. Every once in a while, my younger daughter helps me change all their clothes.

Doll collecting is a very popular hobby among adults, actually. There are many people who are FAR more into it than I am, and I have met some of them and they are completely nice and normal people. Most of them enjoy the creative aspect of making up a character which is represented by the doll. Some of them sew beautiful clothes and costumes for the dolls. Others write stories with their doll "characters" appearing as real people in the story, or take pictures of scenes with the dolls doing various things.

Some people just have a doll or two standing around, and what's wrong with that!? Your therapist may be on to something. I say if you want one, get one! You can always sell it or give it to a lucky child if you decide you don't need/want it any more.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:43 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
My daughter got a look-alike doll for Christmas last year. This year, she is getting Isabelle (the current doll of the year). Isabelle is all she has talked about for 6 months. She's seen the movies and read the books and really identifies with the doll's character. I got her the matching "big kid" version of Isabelle's shirt so that they can match.

I bought one outfit from the American Girl store because they are selling a Christmas outfit for $12 if you spend more than $50 (and I don't know how you can spend less in that store). The rest of the doll clothes come from Target. The doll bed was bought on sale at Toys R Us (for less than $50).

Honestly, when I entered the American Girl store for the first time, my inner 10-year-old jumped up and yelled "MINE MINE MINE". It was hard not to walk out with one of the historical dolls for me.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:31 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
We have never bought her one, but my daughter saved her money to buy three and she got three more for presents from grandparents. (She started saving at age 5.) she gets one or two a year.

We buy the clothes second hand and through other retailers. She makes furniture and housing.

She has the most out of her friends, but she loves them and it keeps her young.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:37 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I was a tomboy and never liked dolls. I resisted buying an AGD when my daughter requested one because I thought they a waste of money. Then we had neighbor girls move in. They loved their AGDs. We finally broke down and let my daughter get one. It was worth it. She played with doll for about three years with her friends. She requested "McKenna" and we bought her that also. I found clearance priced AGD clothes and books on cyber Monday. We made two visits to AGD stores and bought a few things there. We also had some knockoff items.

My biggest complaint about AGD is the dolls are made in China.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
You can find good deals on the items on ebay too.

My parents never bought me anything AG We were poor growing up, and the only reason I got to read all the books was because our local library had them all. I'd look at that catalog as a little girl and dream of the items, but we never had the money. My parents never gave money as gifts. We had no family around us either, no grandparents, nothing like that. Yeah Holidays were sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting