Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:24 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

I just wish they had full size ag boys. My son wants one. He has one of the boy twins, but it's not the same
If you are on facebook, search for American Girl groups- there is one im on and they will re wig the girls to make it a boy.

I dont know why AG hasnt thought to do it, but maybe they will some day.
----------------
We arent huge into AG, I mean my 8yr old was in a reading slump and I said "try these books, they are interesting and short, maybe we can find a doll"...and sure enough near her birthday at a thrift store, there was Kit. Kit has a non AG Bed, non AG high chair, non AG horse and non AG vanity. We actually have non AG clothes too, maybe 2 things. We do finally have Meet Kit book though but bought used (for $1!). I keep trying to find Kits meet outfit but at almost $20, i just cant justify it! Thats almost 1/2 what i paid for her!

As for Jess, I really didnt want to spend as much as I am but i did try to ask her to go lower, so at least I tried! Jess wont have anything, clothes or otherwise so hopefully WW3 wont break out at my house over sharing! At least for now. Really 6yr old doesnt care, she just wants the animals and to do her hair. LOL.

---------
I had dolls growing up, not AG, but it is fun to play with them. I do plan to go to AG store because who wouldnt want to go to a doll store?!

As for the crafty part of me, i may look into re-wigging Jess for longer brown hair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I have Kirsten and was so made when she was retired! I wanted some of her accessories, but never got them. She was given to me because of my love for Little House on the Prairie. I'm so a LHOTP dork, that I attend Laura Ingalls Wilder Days at Genesee Country Village every year and I've met some of the cast.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 AM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times
I LOVED the AG dolls when I was little. I think I was about 9 when I discovered them and asked my parents to buy me the Molly doll (she was the original historical doll from the WWII era) for Christmas and that year I got the doll, the trunk, the bed, the nightstand, the kitchen table and chairs and a bunch of accessories. Like another poster, my sister had to have the same stuff as me so my parents bought her the Samantha doll and a bunch of stuff for her, too. That was at the height of my dad's legal career and from what I've been told, they were good years for him, LOL. I got Kirsten the next year and some neat things for her, too. I just remember taking my dolls with me everywhere and playing with my sister- we had a ton of tea parties for our dolls, as Samantha came with a beautiful pink lemonade set- for hours and hours.

I can't WAIT to buy AG dolls for my kids and if I went into the AG store (we have one in L.A. about an hour away) I think I would go nuts and smoke my credit card out. They are great dolls and just signify true childhood to me- they aren't dressed provocatively or have a ton of slutty makeup, etc. I think it's important to keep your little girls as little girls for as long as possible and I really think that dolls like the AG actually promote that and I'm willing to pay a bit more for toys like them.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:08 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Im looking for molly but I hope to one day find her in a thrift store because she was the only doll from the American girl collection I wanted .

Last edited by phonelady61; 11-26-2014 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 AM

356 posts, read 917,016 times
Default 18 in boy doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

I just wish they had full size ag boys. My son wants one. He has one of the boy twins, but it's not the same
Agreed. Wish AG had a boy doll. When my son wanted a boy doll similar to his sister's AG doll, I found the My Pal/ My Sibling 18 in boy dolls. They are nice but not quite as nice as the AG doll. I recommend them if you are looking for an 18 in boy doll.

My Sibling and My Pal Dolls — American boy dolls - 18 inch boy dolls

Old 11-26-2014, 08:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
Agreed. Wish AG had a boy doll. When my son wanted a boy doll similar to his sister's AG doll, I found the My Pal/ My Sibling 18 in boy dolls. They are nice but not quite as nice as the AG doll. I recommend them if you are looking for an 18 in boy doll.

My Sibling and My Pal Dolls — American boy dolls - 18 inch boy dolls
Thanks, I think I might get one of these for my son.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:31 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
My daughter never played much with dolls (except when she tied naked Barbies to my mother's ceiling fan to watch them fly in circles. Grandma was not happy.) until she and her friends got into American Girl when they were about ten. She has two of them. I forget which ones. They are in my attic. She is grown and lives abroad now but she wanted to keep them.

We bought clothes and horses (she and her friends took riding lesson and hung out at a stables and so did their dolls) from Target because it was so much less expensive than the real AG stuff.

It was just amazing that she played with dolls in her later childhood when she only played with her beanie babies and stuffed animals as a kid. She had two nice baby dolls, a boy and a girl, that she kept on display in her bedroom, but never played with them. And she would play with Barbies the day she got them when they were given as a gift, but then they fell by the wayside except for the occasional creative activity, such as the ceiling fan incident.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:12 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter never played much with dolls (except when she tied naked Barbies to my mother's ceiling fan to watch them fly in circles. Grandma was not happy.) until she and her friends got into American Girl when they were about ten. She has two of them. I forget which ones. They are in my attic. She is grown and lives abroad now but she wanted to keep them.

We bought clothes and horses (she and her friends took riding lesson and hung out at a stables and so did their dolls) from Target because it was so much less expensive than the real AG stuff.

It was just amazing that she played with dolls in her later childhood when she only played with her beanie babies and stuffed animals as a kid. She had two nice baby dolls, a boy and a girl, that she kept on display in her bedroom, but never played with them. And she would play with Barbies the day she got them when they were given as a gift, but then they fell by the wayside except for the occasional creative activity, such as the ceiling fan incident.
Kids are so funny. I wasn't allowed toys but my neighbor got massive amounts of barbie dolls. she just mutilated them...she gave me a couple (I had to hide) with terrible hair cuts. I remember she had a drawer for different body parts.

I never cared about stuffed animals besides the one I had when I was little, my daughter used to play with them non stop. Recently she gave most of them to the dogs (eek! that was a mess) and is into her doll house and her AG dolls.

I just got her AG wish list for her b-day and xmas. Went to the site and tallied it up, 1K. Yep, I will be cutting that list quite a bit!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
My girls like the idea of AG, more than the dolls themselves, though they are still quite young. We have two of the large ones and three "Bitty Babies". Other than occasionally changing their outfits and playing with them once in a while, they just tend to collect dust. The expense of the AG dolls really wasn't worth it versus just any other similar dolls we could have gotten. The older girl, however, did thoroughly enjoy her trip to AG in NYC and the youngest loves her "Bitty Baby" pajamas. I will say that the actual AG clothes for the kids, while expensive, are very high quality.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
I love AG for different reasons; we manufactured--on the side--clothing for them for a while, and it's incredible what people will pay for outfits (and obscene what liscensed branders charge!) We did in-house design and then outsourced the actual textile work. Because they're so small, material costs are tiny, yet we could sell them at boutique prices! Labor is intensive, but--like the licensed branders--it was Chinese and Vietnamese, so it's cheap too. Typical markup for actual clothing is 400%, but with AGD it's more like 800%. It's a freaking gold mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting