Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

IN high school, I paid for my own gas, school lunches, groceries, clothes, and school supplies. I don't pay rent or utilities in high school. I had to for my own car insurance in college. I was not on my parents' policy. It was mine and it was thousands of dollars a year. I paid rent to my parents in college as well. I paid my way through college and for my wedding. My parents didn't pay anything towards college or the wedding. Did it suck? Yup! Was it a struggle? Yup. Would I ask my kid to do that? NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 11:27 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
I was not "forced" to get a job in high school and my family was barely getting by financially at that time. We were provided with all the necessities but if I wanted "better" clothes and extra school amenities, then I had to pay for them myself. I was lucky that I did very well in school so I was not overwhelmed by homework. So when I was 15 I got 3 part time jobs: babysitting after school 4 afternoons a week, making sandwiches for a canteen truck Tuesday night and Saturday morning every week, and ironing for a lady on Sundays. My parents did not charge me for rent but I did give them gas money for rides to my jobs. I was able to qualify for a 4 year college scholarship but did not go (that's another story). Anyway, I felt the same way for my own kids. I would never charge them for rent and utilities in high school. I would however not hesitate to get gas money for rides to their job(s). Other than that, depending on what I could afford, I as the parent feel I should pay for everything possible for my children until they are able to contribute financially which is usually after they graduate high school and turn 18.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:31 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I did not but when my kids made $ at part time jobs they didn't cost me as much, so I guess it all evened out.

Pooling resources is fine if it's what keeps the family afloat though.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:18 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I'm just curious, but, is it unusual to make a highschooler pay rent and utilities to a parent? This seems odd to me but maybe I was raised in a bubble.
It is very unusual. Parents are legally obligated to provide food and shelter to their minor children, so eviction for non-payment of rent would be considered neglect. I doubt any court in the land would allow a parent to legally take a minor child's wages, either, so there's no real legal way to force a child to pay rent. That being said I'm sure some parents cajole their children into paying rent.

If it's done out of a desire to teach the child responsibility, or out of total economic necessity, then it's understandable. If it's done so that the parent can spend on his or her own personal luxuries it is abhorrent.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:25 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
High Schoolers are minors and should not have to pay rent and utilities while living in their parents' home. Now, if the parents want them to pay part of some of their other expenses such as cell phone, telephone, car, or computer expenses that makes sense. And could help them learn to budget and really know what things cost,

When i was in college I knew a girl whose parents had each child during their senior high school year, take over paying all the household bills. Now, the student was not actually paying. they were using the parents' money but they participated in stetting the household budget and were (with some supervision of course) responsible for paying the bills on time and staying within budget. I often wish my parents had done something like that.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:30 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
What is this world coming to? My kids lived in our family home as family members. They all worked, starting in their early teens, for pocket money: paper delivery, babysitter, movie theater usher, waiter. We paid for their college educations and gave them financial help, when they needed it, in post-graduate school. And, when emergencies pop up, we still help them financially, as much as we can. You have your kids for life. Not everyone is as fortunate as we were to do these things, but I learned from my parents that my children would be my chief responsibility in life, just as they did.

What's the payback? That you made the financial sacrifices that you could within your means for your children to help them achieve their life goals.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:47 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
I've never heard of anyone doing that, and I think its a terrible idea. While I was in highschool, I worked 30 hours a week and bought my own car, paid for gas, insurance, clothes, outings and I did sometimes help my mother with groceries or other bills. She would have never asked or required it of me, but as a family, we did what we had to do. I have zero issue with kids having some personal responsibility and having part-time jobs; but rent/utilities? That's too far.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:11 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I would want my kids to work, save some money, pay for driving/gas/insurance and extras (make up, clothes more often then I would buy them, etc). Not food or rent. As long as they were in school, college too.

All my money working belonged to my parents when I was a teen. They would like it if it was still that was as an adult. Not a fan.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:11 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default Yes, I did, back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
I'm just curious, but, is it unusual to make a highschooler pay rent and utilities to a parent? This seems odd to me but maybe I was raised in a bubble.
I was working early in life and loved aquariums, which suck electricity. So I kicked in.
I also wanted the exclusive use of the shaded patio for my "wabbits" so I "rented" that as well, plus cut a deal for the lawnmower and trimmer, so I could drag those tools around the neighbourhood, and pay more rent. I mean make money, to pay rent.!!!

I actually didn't even remember until mom reminded me a few weeks ago. Every case is different.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. I'm 62 years old and I have never met, nor have I heard through my children or relatives of anyone who needed to pay rent or utilities (such as electricity and heat) in HS.

I did have some friends in HS whose parents had serious financial problems where the kids "helped out" by paying for most of their own expenses such as buying clothes, school supplies, school lunches, etc.but no one paid rent. Today a very few kids pay for their own cell phone plans.
I know kids who willingly gave their parents money, or took care of some of of their own expenses to help their parents financially. Not many, but a handful. I don't know anyone who charged their HS kids rent. I think it is a parent's responsibility to support their minor children with respect to necessities (food, shelter, clothing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting