Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:21 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times

Advertisements

Back when my two children were babies, there was no such thing as the car seats required today. We could put a baby on the floor if we wanted to. When my daughter was 5 months old, I propped her against my body while I drove. This was fine until one day I had to slam on the brakes and she went tumbling into the floor of the passenger side. She broke her collar bone and fortunately it caused no problems for her. She wore an ace bandage which held her arms back and the break healed quickly.

Children stood in the seat if they wanted to and no one thought much about it.

I think the safety seats currently in use are an improvement. Would you change anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 01:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
It's much safer now and that's good. The only thing that bothers me is that, as in everything, there are always people interfering in what is not their business. When my oldest daughter (now 15) was a baby, we had a pickup. I did not usually drive her in it, but one day I had to do an urgent errand so I hooked up her carseat. On the way home, at a stoplight, the woman in the car next to me made frantic gestures for me to roll down my window, so I did.

"You're supposed to put your baby in the BACK SEAT!" she called.

"Um, I don't have a back seat!"

"But what about the air bag?!"

"This truck doesn't have a passenger side air bag!"

Fortunately, the light turned green then. I know, I know, that the front seat of a pickup is not the safest place for a baby, but I had made it as safe as I could and it was a necessary trip. I suppose there are many people like this woman who would say that if that's the only option, you should just stay home--but that's their opinion and they should keep it to themselves.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:54 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's much safer now and that's good. The only thing that bothers me is that, as in everything, there are always people interfering in what is not their business. When my oldest daughter (now 15) was a baby, we had a pickup. I did not usually drive her in it, but one day I had to do an urgent errand so I hooked up her carseat. On the way home, at a stoplight, the woman in the car next to me made frantic gestures for me to roll down my window, so I did.

Fortunately, the light turned green then. I know, I know, that the front seat of a pickup is not the safest place for a baby, but I had made it as safe as I could and it was a necessary trip. I suppose there are many people like this woman who would say that if that's the only option, you should just stay home--but that's their opinion and they should keep it to themselves.
Well, you could have put her in the truck bed...growing up, that's where we always rode.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

There's often someone who thinks they know your business! As Mnseca posted, she could have been put in the truck bed. LOL

My grandson-in-law was in a hurry and decided he didn't have time to put his 2 year old in her car seat, so she was sitting beside him in the pickup and he had to slam on the brakes. She went to the floorboard and was knocked unconscious. He thought she was dead and was beside himself. He learned his lesson well and 4 children later that's the only accident due to not being in their safety seat. He said never again would he be in that big a hurry.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:59 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
I can't imagine not using a safety seat. At 8 and 9 my kids are still in boosters so the seat belt fits right. I let one sit in front at a time (they both meet the criteria and it keeps the car much, much more quiet) and have had a few comments about it. I feel like its ok.

I am bothered when I see kids outside of safety seats, esp walking around in the car. Its just too dangerious

Old 12-25-2014, 11:36 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Well, you could have put her in the truck bed...growing up, that's where we always rode.
Yeah, you could have..

2 Katy ISD students killed after pickup rolls over in Fort Bend County | News - Home

Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Hopefully you realize that I was being sarcastic and do not actually think the baby should have been in the truck bed (although your post suggests you didn't get it at all).

Old 12-25-2014, 12:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Hopefully you realize that I was being sarcastic and do not actually think the baby should have been in the truck bed (although your post suggests you didn't get it at all).
Of course, I realized it, but people can still do with a warning about this. Here in Texas, it is quite common for kids to still ride in truck beds, though I think it is illegal. Apparently, here it is legal if you are over 18 actually.

Quote:
Chapter 545. Operation and Movement of Vehicles
§ 545.414. Riding in Open Beds; Offense.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates an open-bed pickup truck or an open flatbed truck or draws an open flatbed trailer when a child younger than 18 years of age is occupying the bed of the truck or trailer.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Back when my two children were babies, there was no such thing as the car seats required today. We could put a baby on the floor if we wanted to. When my daughter was 5 months old, I propped her against my body while I drove. This was fine until one day I had to slam on the brakes and she went tumbling into the floor of the passenger side. She broke her collar bone and fortunately it caused no problems for her. She wore an ace bandage which held her arms back and the break healed quickly.

Children stood in the seat if they wanted to and no one thought much about it.

I think the safety seats currently in use are an improvement. Would you change anything?
Such as? Go back to babies flying off seats and kids flying out of truck beds?

Old 12-25-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Such as? Go back to babies flying off seats and kids flying out of truck beds?
Oh, sure, that must be what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting