Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^The high in my city yesterday was 32 degrees. Yet, in the pediatric office where I work, a couple sick teen guys came in wearing shorts and sweat shirts, while their parents had on parkas. Teen boys don't like to wear coats.

I was hardly being adamant, and another poster added no hat, gloves or scarf, which was not stated. If the kid had no coat, he likely left home without wearing one.
Well than they're idiots and so are their parents for allowing it.

That's still not the same as being thrown out of a car with no coat. I would bet money there is abuse going on, decent normal parents don't throw their kids out of the car like that and certainly with no coat in cold weather.

Just because you saw a couple of dolts in shorts doesn't mean all kids like to freeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 01:33 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well than they're idiots and so are their parents for allowing it.

That's still not the same as being thrown out of a car with no coat. I would bet money there is abuse going on, decent normal parents don't throw their kids out of the car like that and certainly with no coat in cold weather.

Just because you saw a couple of dolts in shorts doesn't mean all kids like to freeze.
Smart parents pick their battles. Fighting with your teen over a coat? Not worth it, let them go without and suffer the natural consequences, much more effective than anything a parent can say. Not sure how familiar you are with teens but if you go by any high school on a chilly day you will see a good many of them under dressed. My daughter and her friends wore flip flops all year round, because it was the popular thing to do.
Parents have been putting kids out of cars as long as there have been parents with cars, this isn't anything new and it's not an indication of an abusive parent. It's another 'let 'em suffer the consequences of their actions' lesson. There usually isn't anything abusive about making a teen walk somewhere, unless the weather is extreme or the area is dangerous.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Smart parents pick their battles. Fighting with your teen over a coat? Not worth it, let them go without and suffer the natural consequences, much more effective than anything a parent can say. Not sure how familiar you are with teens but if you go by any high school on a chilly day you will see a good many of them under dressed. My daughter and her friends wore flip flops all year round, because it was the popular thing to do.
Parents have been putting kids out of cars as long as there have been parents with cars, this isn't anything new and it's not an indication of an abusive parent. It's another 'let 'em suffer the consequences of their actions' lesson. There usually isn't anything abusive about making a teen walk somewhere, unless the weather is extreme or the area is dangerous.
Agree with this. Unless the kid appeared to be abused or neglected, was walking a long distance or down a dangerous road, the police aren't going to do anything.

At my dd's previous school, there was a little second grade girl who walked to and from school every day, even in the most bitter subzero temperatures or snow so deep she had to wade through it or walk in the street. Often she didn't have proper boots, or no hat or mittens, and would arrive at school for breakfast, always late, her fingers so frozen they wouldn't work until she thawed a little and snot frozen to her face. And we couldn't report it because she lived within 1.5 miles of school. This was a 7-8 year old little girl walking alone in below zero weather, so I really don't see the police or child services getting involved over a 13 year old walking.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
If you have to take your kid to the doctor because they're sick and they're not dressed properly, that is a battle you have. Not only is it your time, but it is your money(most people have to pay at least a co-pay), not to mention sitting in a doctor's office is great way to pick up something. You're sitting in closed quarters around sick people.

So yes, you do speak up.

It might be one thing if they're running around underdressed, but once they get sick and now it involves time and money due them being underdressed, game over.

Whose the parent and who is the child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Agree with this. Unless the kid appeared to be abused or neglected, was walking a long distance or down a dangerous road, the police aren't going to do anything.

At my dd's previous school, there was a little second grade girl who walked to and from school every day, even in the most bitter subzero temperatures or snow so deep she had to wade through it or walk in the street. Often she didn't have proper boots, or no hat or mittens, and would arrive at school for breakfast, always late, her fingers so frozen they wouldn't work until she thawed a little and snot frozen to her face. And we couldn't report it because she lived within 1.5 miles of school. This was a 7-8 year old little girl walking alone in below zero weather, so I really don't see the police or child services getting involved over a 13 year old walking.
How sad that no one in your community did anything. Geez, buy the kid a hat, gloves, and some boots.
Almost hard to believe that no teacher or parent at least did that.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:10 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post

This right here ^^^^makes me say over and over again you should have a license to be a parent end of story ..wow a 7 yr old walking in subzero temps and with a cold too that is sad ...the parents don't deserve a sweet lil girl like that ..I think I still would reported it just in case and let cps tell me they cant do anything okay well let me call channel 7 out here then watch em sweat seems you have to embarrass people in public to get them to move and get up off their arse .

Old 01-03-2015, 02:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^The high in my city yesterday was 32 degrees. Yet, in the pediatric office where I work, a couple sick teen guys came in wearing shorts and sweat shirts, while their parents had on parkas. Teen boys don't like to wear coats.

I was hardly being adamant, and another poster added no hat, gloves or scarf, which was not stated. If the kid had no coat, he likely left home without wearing one.
Its very true, it is really hard to get a teen boy to bundle up. At some point you just figure...they will survive. I ran around without a coat and barefoot in the winter when it was just slightly above freezing...I sometimes still do.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:27 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
If you have to take your kid to the doctor because they're sick and they're not dressed properly, that is a battle you have. Not only is it your time, but it is your money(most people have to pay at least a co-pay), not to mention sitting in a doctor's office is great way to pick up something. You're sitting in closed quarters around sick people.

So yes, you do speak up.

It might be one thing if they're running around underdressed, but once they get sick and now it involves time and money due them being underdressed, game over.

People get sick from being around other people, not from the way they are dressed. The only consequence of under dressing for the weather is discomfort. Lots of kids choose to be uncomfortable in order to fit in with the crowd, rather than give in to their parents. It might be stupid, but for a lot of kids it's a small stab at asserting their independence and it's generally harmless and not worth a big brouhaha. There are more important things to worry about with teenagers.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
I live in Southern CA, it was 43 degrees in my area last night and even colder in other parts of Southern CA, it doesn't have to be below 32 to count as freezing cold. If you put a kid out on the road here at those temps here with no coat, unless they were from Minnesota they would be freezing. I wouldn't want to be walking around in 40 degree temps with no coat.

It was very cold in most of the country, other than FL which had their lowest temps in the 50s and 60s.

My point was to differentiate between feeling uncomfortable vs being in actual danger of losing fingers or toes. Did the mom actually endanger him, or was he made to walk home in uncomfortable weather? There is a difference.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
People get sick from being around other people, not from the way they are dressed. The only consequence of under dressing for the weather is discomfort. Lots of kids choose to be uncomfortable in order to fit in with the crowd, rather than give in to their parents. It might be stupid, but for a lot of kids it's a small stab at asserting their independence and it's generally harmless and not worth a big brouhaha. There are more important things to worry about with teenagers.
Exactly.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:29 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:

So yes, you do speak up.

How sad that no one in your community did anything. Geez, buy the kid a hat, gloves, and some boots.
Almost hard to believe that no teacher or parent at least did that.
She was given hats and gloves. I gave her some myself. And she would STILL show up without them saying she forgot them or lost them. The school secretary would give her unclaimed stuff out the lost and found box. She'd show up again hatless and gloveless. I don't know if the kid was really that careless or not. But I know that a lot of school employees were concerned and tried to help when they could.

That's what's hard about situations like that and the OP. You might feel like something isn't right about a situation, but that just isn't enough. Unless the kid says they're abused, has visible bruises or appears to be malnourished, or you see it with your own eyes, you're at a dead end. The little girl at my dd's school appeared to me and many others to be neglected, and I'm sure teachers as mandated reporters did their part, but her neglect apparently wasn't criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting