Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:13 PM

468 posts, read 583,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Probably not, but you should ask your doctor.

Measels is highly contagious. It is spread through the air, and dangerous to weak immune systems.

So yes everyone should be very worried about an unknown person coughing and spreading the virus.
You just have to be in the same airspace as them. It was incredibly irresponsible to let anyone in the country without putting them through a medical test. Especially from a third world country. But, hey the government officials don't ride mass transit. They don't live in close packed developments so why should they care. They have cheap labor for their maid service and mansions and future voters who are very grateful that Mr. Obama is a nice man letting them live in America and getting them started with free housing free medical care, free school for their children who bought the measles(never had the immunization early) to your kids school, and your mass transportation on their way to their labor exploited job.
Remind me what government is supposed to do for me?

"An extremely serious complication of measles infection is swelling of the brain. Called encephalitis, this can occur up to several weeks after the basic measles symptoms have resolved. About one out of every thousand patients develops this complication, and about 10-15% of these patients die. Symptoms include fever, headache, sleepiness, seizures, and coma. Long-term problems following recovery from measles encephalitis may include seizures and mental retardation" : hat tip free medical dictionary

You have pre: existing medical conditions and weak immune system, no matter how old. You should worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
I see CNN telling adults to get vaccinated. Said if you got the shot before 1990 you should get a 2nd shot and it's covered by most insurance. What do you guys think about that? you guys gonna get the 2nd shot? and if insurance doesn't cover it how much does it cost. actually if you get measles it says it gets better with home care, just rest and stay home it sounds like it's not so bad for adults?
I cannot receive a second shot because of immunomodulatory therapy, but my husband made an appointment for a booster shot this morning.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron1022 View Post
Measels is highly contagious. It is spread through the air, and dangerous to weak immune systems.

So yes everyone should be very worried about an unknown person coughing and spreading the virus.
You just have to be in the same airspace as them. It was incredibly irresponsible to let anyone in the country without putting them through a medical test. Especially from a third world country. But, hey the government officials don't ride mass transit. They don't live in close packed developments so why should they care. They have cheap labor for their maid service and mansions and future voters who are very grateful that Mr. Obama is a nice man letting them live in America and getting them started with free housing free medical care, free school for their children who bought the measles(never had the immunization early) to your kids school, and your mass transportation on their way to their labor exploited job.

"An extremely serious complication of measles infection is swelling of the brain. Called encephalitis, this can occur up to several weeks after the basic measles symptoms have resolved. About one out of every thousand patients develops this complication, and about 10-15% of these patients die. Symptoms include fever, headache, sleepiness, seizures, and coma. Long-term problems following recovery from measles encephalitis may include seizures and mental retardation" : hat tip free medical dictionary

You have pre: existing medical conditions and weak immune system, no matter how old. You should worry.
I meant I didn't think the OP should quarantine himself and worry himself silly when "only" 84 people in 6 states have it, and no known cases in his state. At this moment, the chances of his kid getting it are pretty slim. Yes, the whole thing is worrisome, but not particularly for someone in his location (yet).

Do you have any comprehension of the resources that would be needed to test everyone coming into the country? What do you test for? If you are going to test for measles, you'd have to test for all kinds of other things, too. You'd have to test everyone, too. Not just people you deem unworthy to be here. I don't suppose you'd want to raise taxes for all of this testing, would you. And no need for the dig at Obama. I don't think he's changed any policies on international travel.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
But, hey the government officials don't ride mass transit. They don't live in close packed developments so why should they care. They have cheap labor for their maid service and mansions and future voters who are very grateful that Mr. Obama is a nice man letting them live in America and getting them started with free housing free medical care, free school for their children who bought the measles(never had the immunization early) to your kids school, and your mass transportation on their way to their labor exploited job.
Just a reminder that currently the United States has 102 cases of Measles reported for January 2015, and Mexico has 1 (if that's where this was headed).

Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That is still not forcing parents....they can make other educational plans if they can't follow the requirements and don't have an actual medical issue.
At the time I grew up you didn't have as many home school options and online schooling was pretty slim. Pretty much all schools whether public or private required vaccinations provided there was no physical or spiritual exemptions. Nowadays with all the ischool options even in districts, it is much easier to get around it.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:39 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
...actually if you get measles it says it gets better with home care, just rest and stay home it sounds like it's not so bad for adults?
With all due respect (and I mean that), this sounds a lot like "whistling past the graveyard at night". Let me refer you to my earlier post regarding whether "its not so bad", for kids or adults. With Rubeola, aka "Measles" or "Red Measles", just about the only difference between kids and adults is how much body tissue the virus can infect. Just about the only difference in treatment, between 1952-53 and now, is that they have better ways of treating the symptoms and keeping the fever down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I'm 68, and I got the "Red Measles" -- Rubeola, the big-bad one -- when I was 6. I survived because of early detection/intervention, large doses of antibiotics (!! it was 1952-53), and round-the-clock care to keep the fever down. I remember the parts when I wasn't delirious, and trust me here: I WAS SICK.

Now, with that said, a surprisingly large number of us "measles survivors" have to deal with the long-term consequences of the disease. In my case, the lengthy high fever and etc. caused permanent damage to my vision. I got the measles in the first grade; the changes in my vision weren't detected/corrected until I was in the fourth grade. Heck, I was a kid -- I thought things looked like that to everyone!

My point here is simple. Measles -- "red measles" -- Rubeola -- is a very, very dangerous disease. Even the survivors often have to contend with lifelong sequelia; I did.
And by the way, Mumps (the second M in "MMR") is one whale of a lot more serious in adults than it is in children. Most children survive it, whereas a lot of adults either don't, or have to deal with a lot of "leftover damage" for the rest of their lives.

Once again, just my two cents,

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 02-03-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 PM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The numbers in current outbreaks are still very low, so I probably shouldn't be worried, but I think it's natural for parents to overreact to these sorts of things. I have a 10 month old daughter who isn't scheduled to receive the MMR vaccine for a few months. Is there anything I should do differently to help protect my daughter until then? My wife and I are both vaccinated, as are all the kids at daycare. It's not a problem in Massachusetts yet, but there are lots of locals in Arizona this week for the Superbowl.
Call your doctor and get advice. And stay away from crowded places until two weeks after the shot. I wouldn't personally dwell on it, but I would take reasonable precautions until the shot kicks in. Measles is dangerous.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:16 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:

You just have to be in the same airspace as them. It was incredibly irresponsible to let anyone in the country without putting them through a medical test.
Quote:
Do you have any comprehension of the resources that would be needed to test everyone coming into the country? What do you test for? If you are going to test for measles, you'd have to test for all kinds of other things, too. You'd have to test everyone, too. Not just people you deem unworthy to be here. I don't suppose you'd want to raise taxes for all of this testing, would you. And no need for the dig at Obama. I don't think he's changed any policies on international travel.
Each person could be responsible for documenting his own immunity to measles, either by age (born before 1957), with a medical record, or a titer. I actually like this idea. Even citizens who travel to countries with measles should have to document immunity for re-entry or agree to a three week quarantine.

Right now, Pakistan is the only country with a significant number of polio cases. It would be foolish to go there without being vaccinated for it, but the government might not let you leave without being vaccinated if you cannot prove you already have been. Pakistan does not want to export polio. It's bad enough that vaccination workers are being killed by the Taliban, who oppose the polio vaccine program.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:45 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Each person could be responsible for documenting his own immunity to measles, either by age (born before 1957), with a medical record, or a titer. I actually like this idea. Even citizens who travel to countries with measles should have to document immunity for re-entry or agree to a three week quarantine.

Right now, Pakistan is the only country with a significant number of polio cases. It would be foolish to go there without being vaccinated for it, but the government might not let you leave without being vaccinated if you cannot prove you already have been. Pakistan does not want to export polio. It's bad enough that vaccination workers are being killed by the Taliban, who oppose the polio vaccine program.
The US would still have to pay people to deal with all the documentation.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
The US would still have to pay people to deal with all the documentation.
Require a nurse at every single international airport doing blood draws for all passengers with out documentation? How long would it take for test results to come back? Where would you quarantine all these people in the meantime? This isn't exactly like Ellis Island, you know.

Think about Ebola. Just ONE disease and one country. Travelers would have to have documentation for numerous diseases and from traveling fron all over the globe.

Impossible to implement on that large of a scale, including cost prohibitive,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting