Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should schools close when the temperature is below 0F?
Yes 28 25.69%
No 81 74.31%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times

Advertisements

If you all think you can make better decisions for the safety of the students, maybe you should volunteer to be on the snow team in your area. Every time there is a snow day called here, people complain. Every time there is a delay, people complain. Every time there is a regular schedule with snow on the ground, people complain. There is nothing to argue about here. There are a ton of factors that go into these decisions. Your personal opinions don't mean anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 05:28 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If you all think you can make better decisions for the safety of the students, maybe you should volunteer to be on the snow team in your area. Every time there is a snow day called here, people complain. Every time there is a delay, people complain. Every time there is a regular schedule with snow on the ground, people complain. There is nothing to argue about here. There are a ton of factors that go into these decisions. Your personal opinions don't mean anything.

What is a volunteer snow team? We don't have those.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
What is a volunteer snow team? We don't have those.
I'm sure they'd take the help of anyone willing to get up at 3 am and drive around evaluating the roads and weather to try to make a call.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they'd take the help of anyone willing to get up at 3 am and drive around evaluating the roads and weather to try to make a call.
Done differently here. No volunteers involved in the decision.

Decision made solely by school superintendent.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Done differently here. No volunteers involved in the decision.

Decision made solely by school superintendent.
omg learning to recognize sarcasm would serve you well.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
omg learning to recognize sarcasm would serve you well.
Got me there.

The Chicago schools seem stupid enough about weather to actually do that.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 PM

Awesome these teachers did this!

But, hmmm...

If they could safely get out to do this, why did the schools need to be closed?

Teachers Ensure Poor Kids Are Fed On Snow Days When They Can't Get Free School Lunch

Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
But, hmmm...If they could safely get out to do this, why did the schools need to be closed?
Are you serious? You really don't understand how that can happen?

I have decided you are T-urkey-rolling us, there just can't be any other explanation.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Are you serious? You really don't understand how that can happen?

I have decided you are T-urkey-rolling us, there just can't be any other explanation.

I just hate it when the media comes along with a story illustrating exactly what I've been saying about the importance of keeping the schools open for the poor.

Where did I say I don't understand how it can happen? I don't think it needed to happen in Chicago.

The weather has only been 20 degrees below the norm. That's 0 degrees. Most systems are designed to be able to handle a variance of that degree. School heating systems should be able to handle it (Those in danger of not being able to due to decrepitude should be closed), buses are using a winter diesel at this time of year-they should be able to run without much issue, etc. Heck-I've seen schools open despite temperatures 50 degrees below the norm.

Last edited by Keim; 02-28-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't they? The OP clarifies the only issue is cold, not otherwise unsafe driving conditions.

Regarding food-Around here schools aren't stocked daily anyhow. They already have food on hand.

Heat-Do Chicago schools not have heaters? Those that don't have adequate heating should definitely close (As I've stated before).
Where I live, schools get their food daily. There is no food kept at the school (except the little amount that is in each student's earthquake preparedness kit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting