Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should schools close when the temperature is below 0F?
Yes 28 25.69%
No 81 74.31%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Zimbochick-I keep saying 0 because that was the temperature. Please show me correct data if I am wrong. Chicago February Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60608

You are conflating wind chill with temperature. They are two different things. Here is a wind chill definition: a quantity expressing the effective lowering of the air temperature caused by the wind, especially as affecting the rate of heat loss from an object or human body or as perceived by an exposed person. Growing up in Montana we had a saying about wind chill: It is the measure used by people in other states so they can pretend they get as cold as a Montana winter.

I admit to not knowing much about diesel engines. Yep, guilty as charged. Gas engines can easily handle 0 degrees. I don't know for certain when diesel fuel is impacted by the cold. I DO know it is regularly dealt with at 0 (as you can see by the definition above, engines aren't going to be impacted by wind chill.) degrees. And, I do know that 0 is only about 20 degrees outside the norm for a Chicago winter.

Incidentally, I have learned in this thread that most Chicago kids aren't bussed by school busses. So, that negates your bussing argument anyhow. Unless the public bus system went down, that can't be why the district decided to close.

Cold weather? I know plenty. Walked to school when it was well below freezing as an elementary student. Camped multiple times at -20, not including wind chill. Went to school at -30 too many times to count, not including wind chill. Had my school finally close at -65, not including wind chill. (I drove into town and rented some movies for those days.)

When I've made comments or asked questions about the cold in this thread it is because I have dealt with it myself in getting to school.
Just pointless, of course you have to factor in the wind chill. What is your actual point? You were tougher than kids today? Got it. If it makes you feel better then rock on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesu View Post
... This is the school that made the kids wait outside until the bell rang. Teachers came out and walked the kids in single file according to grade. So they cancelled school instead.
What a stupid rule. Bend the rule instead of cancelling school. Find a way to MAKE it work!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Just pointless, of course you have to factor in the wind chill. What is your actual point? You were tougher than kids today? Got it. If it makes you feel better then rock on.
With a name like The Windy City, most Chicagoans should be adept at dealing with wind chill factors.

It is unfortunate you didn't choose to defend the points you attempted in your previous post. I was looking forward to your explanation of how wind chill impacts motors.

My point has been the same since the OP... Should schools be closed at 0 degrees.

Looks like a solid chunk of folks in the poll don't think so.

Anything else I've mentioned has been in response to comments people made.

Last edited by Keim; 02-24-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
It depends on many factors. Here in the Denver suburbs, probably not. These kids are outfitted for cold weather, many are bused on well-plowed roads, and the schools are modern and heated. Other communities around the nation must weigh the pros and cons for themselves when faced with severe weather.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
The kids here are well acclimated to cold temps. It's not uncommon to see kids in gym shorts at the bus stop when it's 10-20 deg outside.

I'm not joking or making this up.

It took me one winter to acclimate to this state. First winter was horrid- I thought my face would freeze off. That was 5 years ago. Sunday I was out playing with one of my dogs, it was sunny and 15 degrees. I had a flannel shirt and jeans. No coat. You get used to it.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
There's a 40 degree difference between 20 and -20, to point out the obvious. Yes, temps in the teens or low 20s is not a big deal in comparison.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
With a name like The Windy City, most Chicagoans should be adept at dealing with wind chill factors.

It is unfortunate you didn't choose to defend the points you attempted in your previous post. I was looking forward to your explanation of how wind chill impacts motors.

My point has been the same since the OP... Should schools be closed at 0 degrees.

Looks like a solid chunk of folks in the poll don't think so.

Anything else I've mentioned has been in response to comments people made.
Chicago was not nicknamed The Windy City because of the wind or at least the popularity was not for that reason. The Windy City nickname referred to the *windy* politicians. The first use of the term may have referred to the wind off the lake (in 1876), but that is not what it came to mean. Charles Dana, editor of the New York Sun in the 1890s, annoyed by the vocal (and ultimately successful) efforts of Chicago civic leaders to land the world's fair celebrating Columbus's discovery of America, Dana urged his readers to ignore "the nonsensical claims of that windy city"--windy meaning excessively talkative.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Chicago was not nicknamed The Windy City because of the wind or at least the popularity was not for that reason. The Windy City nickname referred to the *windy* politicians. The first use of the term may have referred to the wind off the lake (in 1876), but that is not what it came to mean. Charles Dana, editor of the New York Sun in the 1890s, annoyed by the vocal (and ultimately successful) efforts of Chicago civic leaders to land the world's fair celebrating Columbus's discovery of America, Dana urged his readers to ignore "the nonsensical claims of that windy city"--windy meaning excessively talkative.
That's pretty funny.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:25 PM

141 posts, read 160,585 times
If school closed when temperature went under 0 F, the school year would never even in MN.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
In interior Alaska schools don't close until -50 or lower. Recess doesn't even get cancelled until like -20 F. The reason they close at -50 is that the busses, even winterized, tend to break down if run at lower temps than that, therefore windchill isn't even taken into account, since it doesn't actually affect transportation.

People are a lot hardier than the average person thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting