Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should schools close when the temperature is below 0F?
Yes 28 25.69%
No 81 74.31%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think its highly debatable on what is special equipment and what is not, especially when you are talking about camping out in subzero temperatures but you are expecting children to dress as though they are camping when they are going to school.

http://www.bsa44.org/wp-content/uplo...ival_Guide.pdf

No, I'm pointing out they can easily survive the 20-30 minutes at 0 degrees. About all they need is thin gloves, a stocking cap and a coat. Not dressed for camping at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Kids home alone during cold weather, or kids safely at school during cold weather. I wonder which is safer?
Again, you are missing the point. Those kids without a ride to school benefit when they are allowed to go into school later than usual after the temperature has risen a few degrees. Additionally, because of the havoc extreme cold causes with diesel fuel, it allows buses the time needed to get started after the temperature has risen. You can get frostbite or hypothermia after just 20-30 minutes exposure and yes, some students ARE outside that long waiting for a bus or walking to school.

This is a note from our superintendent about delays:

Quote:
Dear Parents and Guardians,

The threat of winter weather is a fact of life here in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Freezing temperatures and unpredictable snow storms can cause road conditions to deteriorate quickly. It is becoming more and more evident that due to the total geographic area that our district encompasses, our current system of school delays, early dismissals, and school cancellations needs an additional upgrade. Thus the xxxx School District will be implementing a three hour delay immediately to our current listing of possible winter weather related announcements.

Please keep in mind that in using a three hour delay it allows the decision making process to be more accurate concerning possible cancellations, and will allow additional time for local municipalities to properly plow and cinder local roads and boulevards.

3 hour delays mean exactly that. Three hours should be added to the estimate bus arrival time for your child’s A.M. pickup. If the expectation for your child is to be picked up at 7:00 AM, on a regular day, then with the announcement of a 3 hour delay, the bus will arrive at 10 A.M.

The 3 hour delay schedule will be used judiciously in order to supplement our current 2 hour delay system. Please keep in mind that weather conditions can change rapidly especially in higher elevations. Thus a 2 hour delay that was announced during the evening, can turn into a 3 hour delay the next morning. Delays can turn quickly into cancellations as a storm approaches and conditions worsen. So please monitor your local television and radio stations, as well as on line news services for changes that may occur in our district’s school closing status. Our district also provides a Skylert system where parents and guardians can receive up to date changes in our district’s school closing status through personal e-mail, cellphones, or texting. Parents can get in touch with their respective schools in order to receive this free of charge service.

The xxxx prides itself on its commitment to student safety. With the introduction of the 3 hour delay, this additional option helps our district keep our students safe and warm during these difficult winter months.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,433 times
Our district has a policy that if the temperature or temp/wind chill combination equals -17F or below, the district will call a delay or close. We are in Colorado.

However, if the temperature is below 20F, there will be indoor recess.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 PM

546 posts, read 1,819,279 times
I think it depends on what type of weather you are used to getting in your area. We live in Colorado. It snows a lot here and can get very cold at times. Even though we have fairly mild winters overall, we are also used to dealing with the frigid cold days and snow. We have not had a snow day, delay or school closure in the past 2 years. Even when it snows a ton. In fact, the children line up outside the door in the morning unless the weather is really bad. Some days it is less than 20 degrees and the kids are lined up outside the classroom doors--which does bug me a little bit. I purposely bring my kids just before the bell on those days. It's funny--when we lived in TX they would not let them out to play on the playground if it was under 50 degrees. Here in Colorado they play outside for recess in the snow and with temps in the teens. Another weird thing here--no one ever really seems like they are cold and people don't really dress for the weather. Think shorts and a hoody when it is 30 degrees and snowing. Not kidding.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
I heard last night that some Chicago area schools were going to either open late or close entirely due to cold temperatures. The temp was expected to be about -3F.

By the way your facts were very off. The forecast was for -30F with the windchill, not -3, and most schools remained open.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:23 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
I'm a bit confused about problem with buses in cold weather. Don't you plug in your cars in the winter (those in areas that get cold winters)? We have sockets in our car park (and so I would assume its the same at bus depots) to plug in heater cables for half an hour or so before its time to start the car. We have a diesel van and have no trouble starting it in extremely cold temps.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:24 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I don't know if those engine warmers are used elsewhere around the country. Where we live, if it's abnormally cold, such as this past week, the mechanics start up the buses at 3:00 am so they're ready to roll at about 6.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Quote:

School should be cancelled for this small minority why? They could as easily be excused, while the school remains open.
The poor are already often well behind their peers in education and you want to hold them back even more? Imagine half the class being a day behind while the other half of the class is caught up. Unplanned days off already screw things up, this would just compound problems. Much better to cancel for everyone then have a teacher have two groups in the same class at different positions in the lesson plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I'm a bit confused about problem with buses in cold weather. Don't you plug in your cars in the winter (those in areas that get cold winters)? We have sockets in our car park (and so I would assume its the same at bus depots) to plug in heater cables for half an hour or so before its time to start the car. We have a diesel van and have no trouble starting it in extremely cold temps.
Schools are often stretching every dollar and in many areas it's not cost effective to purchase engine block heaters you might only have to use a few times a winter. I'm in the southern US, our average low in winter is right at freezing so we definitely don't need block heaters. It got down to near 10 degrees F a couple of times but most of the time there were no issues. I can't speak for places in the northern US, I'm not nearly as familiar with colder climates here. I know in places like Alaska they're common but I'm not sure about areas like Chicago. Also, the cold has been unusually cold this year. I had heard that the eastern US had the greatest negative temperature anomalies, the greatest departures from average and some of the coldest temperatures.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:53 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

Schools are often stretching every dollar and in many areas it's not cost effective to purchase engine block heaters you might only have to use a few times a winter. I'm in the southern US, our average low in winter is right at freezing so we definitely don't need block heaters. It got down to near 10 degrees F a couple of times but most of the time there were no issues. I can't speak for places in the northern US, I'm not nearly as familiar with colder climates here. I know in places like Alaska they're common but I'm not sure about areas like Chicago. Also, the cold has been unusually cold this year. I had heard that the eastern US had the greatest negative temperature anomalies, the greatest departures from average and some of the coldest temperatures.
Ah right, didn't realise they'd have to be bought separately, not cost effective if not used often. I think they're built in the cars here, the cars have a normal electrical socket low down at the front of the car to plug it in.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Ah right, didn't realise they'd have to be bought separately, not cost effective if not used often. I think they're built in the cars here, the cars have a normal electrical socket low down at the front of the car to plug it in.
Yea it varies widely. Down in Florida most school busses have A/C built in. In Atlanta we don't. Again, not sure about farther north but I imagine it's just not as common in a place like Chicago as Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting