Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should schools close when the temperature is below 0F?
Yes 28 25.69%
No 81 74.31%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that in extreme cold temperatures starting the buses is not the main issue, but the diesel fuel can still gel while the bus is operational causing it to stall and not restart.

Quote:
School buses, which nowadays run mostly on diesel fuel, have glow plugs to heat fuel up near the injectors just before starting and block heaters to keep the overall engine warm. But problems still can occur. Diesel fuel can turn into a gel when it gets cold and not go through the injectors. And that could happen after a bus is on the roads as cold outside air rushes past a fuel tank and potentially gels the fuel, although diesel sold in the winter is thinner than the summer and treatments are available for cold weather.
Quote:
“We put anti-gel in the fuel, so we try to not let them gel up. But in these extreme temperatures, sometimes the fuel will gel anyway.” The folks at Propst say five degrees is their threshold. Anything colder than that and plugging the buses in to heat them up won’t help. So, a whole week of those temperatures makes for a lot of extra work.
Cold Temperatures Tough On Big Yellow Bus | WNEP.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:05 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Moved from NC to Iowa when my girls were in 1st and 3d grade. Our house was on corner of bus stop.

Vivid memory of it being well below 0, watching bus stop.

ALL and i say ALL the kids had their heavy coats piled on the ground, running around in tee shirts while waiting on the bus.

Yep, mom and dad made them leave the house dressed for the cold, but the kids did not have time for that mess.

Wasn't long before my daughters did the same. No how matter how dire are warnings were to them.

Since that revelation, I just laugh at these threads and or discussions. Not one kid died, froze, or had aliens exit their chests!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Moved from NC to Iowa when my girls were in 1st and 3d grade. Our house was on corner of bus stop.

Vivid memory of it being well below 0, watching bus stop.

ALL and i say ALL the kids had their heavy coats piled on the ground, running around in tee shirts while waiting on the bus.

Yep, mom and dad made them leave the house dressed for the cold, but the kids did not have time for that mess.

Wasn't long before my daughters did the same. No how matter how dire are warnings were to them.

Since that revelation, I just laugh at these threads and or discussions. Not one kid died, froze, or had aliens exit their chests!
I just laugh at posts that consider temperatures of 0 and 30 below as being the same.........

Old 02-21-2015, 09:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My understanding is that in extreme cold temperatures starting the buses is not the main issue, but the diesel fuel can still gel while the bus is operational causing it to stall and not restart.

Cold Temperatures Tough On Big Yellow Bus | WNEP.com
Winter diesel solves that issue, its not a problem here.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Winter diesel solves that issue, its not a problem here.
As they said in the article they do use it too.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:25 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,877,758 times
Quote:
By the way your facts were very off. The forecast was for -30F with the windchill, not -3, and most schools remained open.

I wasn't including windchill.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
The poor are already often well behind their peers in education and you want to hold them back even more? Imagine half the class being a day behind while the other half of the class is caught up. Unplanned days off already screw things up, this would just compound problems. Much better to cancel for everyone then have a teacher have two groups in the same class at different positions in the lesson plans.

So everyone should be held back for the sake of the few that would legitimately need to miss class on a cold day? Do you also advocate closing the school for the flu?

Getting behind by a day or two usually isn't much of an issue for kids. I've pulled my kids from school for a week. Their grades were unaffected.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
So everyone should be held back for the sake of the few that would legitimately need to miss class on a cold day? Do you also advocate closing the school for the flu?

Getting behind by a day or two usually isn't much of an issue for kids. I've pulled my kids from school for a week. Their grades were unaffected.
HUGE difference between one or two students being out and half or more of the class being out. For a lot of poor urban districts the reality is that the majority of students have to walk. It wouldn't be just a few students missing out. We're not talking about the areas where every parent has a car or all the walkers live within a half mile of the school and you might have 3 students in a 30 student classroom miss out. We're talking 15-20 missing out in a class of 30. Heck even the office I work for has done something like this when icy roads are a problem. If there's just a few impacted things go on like normal, when the majority of workers were at risk the COO just sent an email out saying to nor worry about coming in on time, just to delay til 10 am if possible. And that's for an office where a lot of people are doing different things and don't need to constantly be at the same point in work.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:03 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times
Quote:
As they said in the article they do use it too.
I looked it up, it seems there's no standard for winter fuel in the US so the kind they use might not be the right kind. You can get Arctic fuel for Arctic conditions so definitely there is winter diesel that'll work in the US.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
HUGE difference between one or two students being out and half or more of the class being out. For a lot of poor urban districts the reality is that the majority of students have to walk. It wouldn't be just a few students missing out. We're not talking about the areas where every parent has a car or all the walkers live within a half mile of the school and you might have 3 students in a 30 student classroom miss out. We're talking 15-20 missing out in a class of 30. Heck even the office I work for has done something like this when icy roads are a problem. If there's just a few impacted things go on like normal, when the majority of workers were at risk the COO just sent an email out saying to nor worry about coming in on time, just to delay til 10 am if possible. And that's for an office where a lot of people are doing different things and don't need to constantly be at the same point in work.
So, since the op was general, percentage of students likely to miss school is something to be considered.

Many kids could walk at zero degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting