Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

I am inspired by and in awe of people who have the discipline to freeze their cookies for later. Our family plows through our ten boxes in a matter of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynyvyr View Post
Hate to burst anyones bubble here, but you can buy the cookies year round and cheaper.
The company that makes the GS cookies also makes cookies for other stores...using the same recipes.
Bought some *Samoas* today. Same size box. $2.50.Different name, though.
Look for the Samoas at Family Dollar. You'll know 'em when you see 'em! (and yes, you can find all the others , too, just takes a bit of searching. Samoas just happen to be my fav!)
You don't buy Girl Scout cookies because they're cheap. You buy them to support a great organization, and put a smile on a little girl's face. The cookies are your reward for doing that. We sell Caramel Delites (the Samoa equivalent) for $3.50 a box here in NC, but if saving a buck is more important to you, by all means head out to Walmart for the Great Value brand equivalent.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:57 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Forty dollars? That's, what, five boxes? :ducks:
11 boxes if you're in my area. We sell for $3.50 per box. You can put the change in the "Operation Cookie Drop" jar, which buys cookies for US military personnel. Thank you for your support!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I really hate girl scout cookies.

I think that young girls can do so much more than sell cookies. And while I understand there is more to girl scouts than cookie sales, about the only time that I hear about girl scouts is during cookie sale time (right now).

The cookies are overpriced and you don't get a lot of them. And they aren't healthy - the serving size for thin mints really should be "one tube" rather than "3 cookies" or whatever it says on the box.

But my biggest rant are when the parents are the ones pushing the cookie sales rather than the kids. Some of my facebook friends have changed their timeline picture to something advertising cookie sales. It's clear to me that the cookie sales are all about this particular girl's parents rather than the girl herself. Technically, they have her make the sales but the parents do all of the advertising and lining up of "customers" so they can make sure her daughter is successful.

End rant.
Why not make a donation instead? The troop gets about 25 cents per box, hand them a dollar and you're both better off.

And maybe this makes me a curmudgeon, but I'm quite glad childrens groups are off quietly doing their thing without involving me most of the time. It really is tiresome sitting through performances and recitals for my own children, I'd hate to have to sit through them for random unrelated strangers as well.

Actually, now that I think of it, you hear quite a lot about the boy scouts, don't you? All those brave young people standing up and returning their eagle scout badges until the organisation drops its hateful bigotry.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
The only issue I have with Girl Scout cookies, is their refusal (for MANY years) to evolve with the times.

They JUST RECENTLY allowed online orders. But you're still forced to know a local Girl Scout. Why?

The Girl Scouts Org were smart, they would teach these girls MARKETABLE skill.
  • Show them how to set up a storefront. Create a template that they can all use and customize (Wix.com already has the mechanics. Partner with them!!)
  • Let them get creative with a subdomain name, or even a main domain name if they're really wanting to stand out. Teach them about the value of a memorable domain name.
  • Teach them about search engine optimization and how to ensure that your website is locatable.
  • Teach them about social networking and how to advertise their site without being annoying.
  • Teach them about digital shopping carts and how to manage inventory.
  • Teach them about retention and how to ensure that a visitor who adds something to the cart doesn't leave without buying it (which doesn't always work. A valuable learned asset)
  • Teach them about overall site design. Give them the tools to be creative but teach them about what works and what doesn't, and why.
  • Teach them about logistics: once you get orders, fulfilling them and how to ensure payment in return, whether that's a face-to-face model or a straight online purchase model.

They can still do the "old school" way of selling, but the reality is, most people just want to buy cookies. They don't care from whom. Online presence and the ability to purchase from a Girl Scout without "knowing" them is the way of online business anyway. Use it.
And all of this is pointless unless they're over 13, because it's illegal for any commercial sites to let an under 13 year old have an account. And besides, this is fundraising, not marketing 101. Let them flog their stuff and then get on with their badges.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:12 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I am inspired by and in awe of people who have the discipline to freeze their cookies for later. Our family plows through our ten boxes in a matter of weeks.
We always froze our thin mints, but that was because my dad liked them frozen. There was no saving them for later.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We always froze our thin mints, but that was because my dad liked them frozen. There was no saving them for later.
+1. Everybody knows they taste better frozen

Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I wouldn't eat one of those cookies. Goodness the ingredients in those things is horrible. You would think parents would demand better than that kind of crap. Talk about junk! Cookies don't have to be filled with all that nonsense.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:30 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Please do not drag Boy Scout Chocolate Popcorn into this sordid GSC conversation. And while you're at it, could you please not pick on Samoas? (and are they selling at grocery stores yet?)
Thanks......two of my favorites.....

Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
You don't buy Girl Scout cookies because they're cheap. You buy them to support a great organization, and put a smile on a little girl's face. The cookies are your reward for doing that. We sell Caramel Delites (the Samoa equivalent) for $3.50 a box here in NC, but if saving a buck is more important to you, by all means head out to Walmart for the Great Value brand equivalent.
The Great Value equilvalent isn't really the same..the peanut butter tagalongs taste like sawdust and the chocolate cheap....Back in the 70s they had a Samoa equilvalent called Yum Yums...THOSE were tasty..don't make them anymore...I was good for a whole box for lunch!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting