Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 03:09 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

oh here is the quiz if you want to test yourself (Narcissistic Personality Inventory - Psych Central)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 04:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Your talking about physiological narcissism, which is a true issue that needs counseling. . a personality disorder.

The OP post was not about true narcissism but more of a general unease about the self-absorbed materialistic.

Now no doubt if your a full blown narcissistic personality disorder, you should get help. Yet its unlikely that how you treated your kid (to many good jobs) could of created the disorder (though I suppose its possible).

We aren't raising a America full of sociopath narcissistic. . be realistic.
That's not accurate. People with narcissistic tendencies have the same problems, to a lesser degree, the full blown personality disorders.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Your talking about physiological narcissism, which is a true issue that needs counseling. . a personality disorder.

The OP post was not about true narcissism but more of a general unease about the self-absorbed materialistic.

Now no doubt if your a full blown narcissistic personality disorder, you should get help. Yet its unlikely that how you treated your kid (to many good jobs) could of created the disorder (though I suppose its possible).

We aren't raising a America full of sociopath narcissistic. . be realistic.
Many of the traits of narcissism (not full blown disorder) are highly undesirable such as needing to be the center of attention, being manipulative, superiority complex, self centeredness, etc.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
oh here is the quiz if you want to test yourself (Narcissistic Personality Inventory - Psych Central)
That was fun. Authority, self-sufficiency, and superiority. Since when are those negative traits?

Old 03-13-2015, 04:30 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That's not accurate. People with narcissistic tendencies have the same problems, to a lesser degree, the full blown personality disorders.

Everyone has f'n Narcissistic tendencies. . unless your a sloth. I can tell you 100% that parent's are not accidentally raising clinical narcissistic.

don't believe me, talk to a freaking psychologist

this is smoke-mirrors-drama and people use narcissist when they mean spoiled brat

Old 03-13-2015, 07:18 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Is there such a thing as "physiological narcissism"? I've never heard of it.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:38 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
This rash of "bred" narcissistic kids came from parents in a previous generation....

Baby boomers, to be exact. How odd.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
I believe true narcissism (the mental disorder) is born and not bred. My mother is a narcissist. She grew up in a very abusive household, which is what many experts believe "causes" narcissism. I raised my children with love and care, and lo and behold, one of my children is also a narcissist. I believe she inherited this trait from my mother.

Even things like borderline personality are being shown to be genetic. There is a lot we don't know about mental health disorders and how they are born (it used to be believed that cold mothers made their sons gay, we now know this is not true).

Old 03-14-2015, 01:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Everyone has f'n Narcissistic tendencies. . unless your a sloth. I can tell you 100% that parent's are not accidentally raising clinical narcissistic.

don't believe me, talk to a freaking psychologist

this is smoke-mirrors-drama and people use narcissist when they mean spoiled brat
You know how to tell if someone is a narcissist? Ask them. They will proudly exclaim they are and that there is nothing wrong with it...its actually the better way to be.

Also, no point arguing with a narcissist.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:22 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I believe true narcissism (the mental disorder) is born and not bred.
You're speaking of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, which is a learned disorder. This thread is about narcissistic traits.

Quote:
My mother is a narcissist. She grew up in a very abusive household, which is what many experts believe "causes" narcissism.
Please provide us with a link from these experts.

Quote:
I raised my children with love and care, and lo and behold, one of my children is also a narcissist. I believe she inherited this trait from my mother.
One cannot inherit a trait for narcissism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting