Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
In your world perhaps, however in my world, we still allow our children some say in the matter and do not prescribe to the all or no one concept. In my world, we view those who expect their kid to be invited to everything and throw a fit when that does not occur as the one who is a impolite or petty.
They don't get along with everybody, kids have personalities, likes and dislikes, they do not get along with everybody and I don't agree in trying to force that. I do not believe that you can make a 5 year old like someone any more than you can make a 10 year old like someone

I don't believe in allowing a school to dictate what I do in my free time. I am not of the everyone gets a trophy thought process. I do not believe in being cruel and unkind but I also do not believe that hurt feelings are a bad thing. I think they are life lessons, whether at 5 or 25

Ugh - what if the kid is a tyrant? What if your child really does not like this kid - why force the issue?
Because I'd like to see for myself what the issue is. The child could very well have behavioral issues. Or the child could merely like dinosaurs. But I wouldn't leave it to a 5 year old. Their minds change with the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Did your daughter receive an invitation to the dinosaur boy's birthday party?

That worked out well for you.
Yah, the invitation came home in her backpack, so I assume the whole class got one of them (as per the policy). His party is 1-3pm and ours is 2-4pm, so it's kinda too bad that they overlap and the kids will have to choose to go to one or the other. My daughter has only been invited to one other party all year, so I don't know if other kids are having them and she's not getting invited or what. But it's surprising to me that his party overlaps hers.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yah, the invitation came home in her backpack, so I assume the whole class got one of them (as per the policy). His party is 1-3pm and ours is 2-4pm, so it's kinda too bad that they overlap and the kids will have to choose to go to one or the other. My daughter has only been invited to one other party all year, so I don't know if other kids are having them and she's not getting invited or what. But it's surprising to me that his party overlaps hers.
Why is it surprising?

Old 04-08-2015, 11:19 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
She's not excluding just one, shes excluding 4.
Why should she invite kids she doesnt like and will ruin the party for her?
Because she's 5 and doesn't understand the ramifications. That's why there's this thing called parenting that includes teaching your child empathy and compassion.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:20 AM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Why is that surprising? Is the party on a Saturday? It's been my experience that most school-age birthday parties are held early in the afternoon of whatever Saturday is closest to the actual birthday. Even in a group of only 16 kids, it's hardly implausible that your daughter could have a birthday in the same week as dinosaur boy.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
If you were only inviting a small handful of kids; I'd say it was not a big deal. If you were inviting just the girls or just the boys; again, not a big deal. But kids talk. They talk about their birthday parties A LOT! And those poor little boys will find out they weren't invited and will get their feelings hurt. So yes, I think in this case you should invite the whole class. Yes, it is your child's birthday and her special day. But teaching empathy is more important imho.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why is that surprising? Is the party on a Saturday? It's been my experience that most school-age birthday parties are held early in the afternoon of whatever Saturday is closest to the actual birthday. Even in a group of only 16 kids, it's hardly implausible that your daughter could have a birthday in the same week as dinosaur boy.
Lmao it's pretty funny that we've all thought of him as dinosaur boy.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:27 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Because I'd like to see for myself what the issue is. The child could very well have behavioral issues. Or the child could merely like dinosaurs. But I wouldn't leave it to a 5 year old. Their minds change with the weather.
Thus the reason I said the guest list should be discussed. This gives the child an opportunity to relay their reasoning and it gives the parent the opportunity to discuss kindness etc.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Thus the reason I said the guest list should be discussed. This gives the child an opportunity to relay their reasoning and it gives the parent the opportunity to discuss kindness etc.
I was responding to you saying you wouldn't push for a play date. A five year old's reasoning is not developmentally rational all the time. That's why I'd want to SEE it rather than rely on their reasoning.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:34 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
Quote:

Hmmm...when did your original evite go out? You think its possible there is a birthday party conspiracy? lol, I'm just kidding! Well, really, you never know... some moms are a bit nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting