Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm going to ignore the nasty comments. No, I'm not going to quit teaching but it starts at home. They should be teaching them prayers and taking them to church. They should also be on time. For example we start at 10am yet some didn't come until 10:20 or later. Yes I criticize cafeteria Catholics because it's obvious they don't care. I mean we have parents who have been divorced several times.
I saw minimal in the way of "nasty comments"....OP, how other people view the role of religion in their lives is really none of your business. That's between them, their God and, if applicable, their priest/pastor/leader. Not you. Not. You.

I am curious as to why you feel the need to take on the role of standard-bearer in other people's lives? I'm pretty sure there is some biblical teaching regarding self-righteousness.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

I am curious as to why you feel the need to take on the role of standard-bearer in other people's lives? I'm pretty sure there is some biblical teaching regarding self-righteousness.
Yes, but she does not recognize that particular credo.

Neither is she married or a parent.

I used to think I knew everything too, but I've since grown out of that.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Post history, wow! OP needs to embrace humility. Broke my heart a little. I cannot imagine feeling so perfect before others.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I mean we have parents who have been divorced several times.
That's none of your concern.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
I'm going to ignore the nasty comments. No, I'm not going to quit teaching but it starts at home. They should be teaching them prayers and taking them to church. They should also be on time. For example we start at 10am yet some didn't come until 10:20 or later. Yes I criticize cafeteria Catholics because it's obvious they don't care. I mean we have parents who have been divorced several times.
You have every right to complain about tardiness and about lack of volunteering. You have no right to judge what the parents are or are not teaching at home, or how often they take the kids to church, or how many times they've been divorced.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:08 PM

950 posts, read 924,352 times
Most of you don't get it !

When teaching Catholic kids, they are going to be taught that attending Sunday mass is mandatory and part of keeping the 10 commandments.

It is frustrating to try and teach the kids their Catholic religion knowing the kid's parents are not going to raise a finger to see that the kids get the parental help they need.

Like a person of the Jewish faith dropping their kids off for religion classes while they go out for barbequed pork and serve it at home.

Why send your kids if you do not believe what is being taught ?

The Catholic church does not allow non-Catholics to be the witness at a Catholic wedding or allow non-Catholics to be baptismal god parents.

I doubt the majority of you posters have a clue about the Catholic church, yet you bash the OP.

Yes, the parents of those children are just using those volunteers as free child care .
Shame on them !

Old 04-19-2015, 02:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post

When teaching Catholic kids, they are going to be taught that attending Sunday mass is mandatory and part of keeping the 10 commandments.
LOL remind me which commandment says this ...

Old 04-19-2015, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I mean we have parents who have been divorced several times.
One more thing: How would you know? Are the divorced parents confiding in you? ..... Or do you listen to gossip? Are you spreading gossip? Hopefully not.

Proverbs 11:13 Whoever goes around slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit, keeps a thing covered.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:

It is frustrating to try and teach the kids their Catholic religion knowing the kid's parents are not going to raise a finger to see that the kids get the parental help they need.

Like a person of the Jewish faith dropping their kids off for religion classes while they go out for barbequed pork and serve it at home.

The Catholic church does not allow non-Catholics to be the witness at a Catholic wedding or allow non-Catholics to be baptismal god parents.

I doubt the majority of you posters have a clue about the Catholic church, yet you bash the OP.

Yes, the parents of those children are just using those volunteers as free child care .
Shame on them !
I hardly think free childcare is what is on these parents minds.

I understand what you are saying. The Catholic Church has some very specific teachings, and I have often wondered why some people remain Catholic if they don't really believe all of that. I suppose it is tradition, culture, comfort. It doesn't really matter. It isn't my business, and it is none of the OP's business. I do understand what the bible says about judging.

All the OP should be doing is teaching these kids what he's supposed to be teaching them. It is up to them to hear what he's saying and see what they see at home, and figure it out for themselves. All religions have people who adhere to the teachings strictly, and those who have a more relaxed interpretation. The OP doesn't get to decide that for every one of these families.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:

Shame on them !
Raised Catholic, and attended Catholic school. I have a clue. I also left it, for several reasons, but judgmental busybodies were one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.