Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:05 AM

28 posts, read 73,485 times

Advertisements

This belong's on Jerry Springer....My 28 year old son who lives with us with his 3 children is now dating his estranged wife's sister. I am absolutely at a loss here. He brought her over here yesterday and even after I told him she could not spend the night he didn't take her home. I am thinking seriously about kicking him out. But I do not want his girls to go with him, as they will be raised around all that crap! HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,929,319 times
It happens. My friend's stepfather is her uncle. Her mother and father got divorced and the mother married her brother-in-law. I guess it was hard at first, but they're family seems to make it work. Regardless, your son should still respect your house and if you said she couldn't sleep there, then she shouldn't have. How old is the sister?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:20 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,676 times
Nothing you can do about it if he's a grown man. Tell him how you feel and then stay out of it. I hope you're making him pay rent and utilities to live with you. Long as you want to keep those kids around, you're going to have to live with his bad decisions.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whattodo? View Post
This belong's on Jerry Springer....My 28 year old son who lives with us with his 3 children is now dating his estranged wife's sister. I am absolutely at a loss here. He brought her over here yesterday and even after I told him she could not spend the night he didn't take her home. I am thinking seriously about kicking him out. But I do not want his girls to go with him, as they will be raised around all that crap! HELP!!!
There's really nothing you can do about who he chooses to date. As far as him not taking her home, that isn't cool not only for you, but for his children.

I would tell him he needs to get his own place if that's the way he wants to conduct his life. Do it nicely and mention the negative effects on his children because of his actions.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I am not only a little disgusted that he is dating his wife's sister but that he is still marrried and dating anyone at all. What a fine example he is setting for his children.

His children, I believe you said girls will learn how a man should treat a woman from their Father and learning the lesson that marriage vows are meaningless is a sad lesson to teach them at any age.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am not only a little disgusted that he is dating his wife's sister but that he is still marrried and dating anyone at all. What a fine example he is setting for his children.

His children, I believe you said girls will learn how a man should treat a woman from their Father and learning the lesson that marriage vows are meaningless is a sad lesson to teach them at any age.
I have to say, I agree with you.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,150 times
Well it's not easy at all, being that he's your son and those are your grandchildren.
Your son's making a bad choice. Maybe he's not over his ex so he's trying to make her jealous? Or he's confused as to what he really wants and should give dating a long break? But he ought to respect you and your house and the rules that come with it. You may have to resort to tough love and tell him to go get his own place. There's not much you can do about the grandchildren, they're his kids and he must have custody right? So they'll live with whatever choices he makes, he must realize that.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,806,234 times
Quote:
How is it he has the children and not his wife? Where is she? Regardless, it sounds like he's trying to replace her with the closest clone possible, the sister. Or again, she may be the one he should have married all along, who knows?

While you can't control his behavior as an adult, you most certainly can control what goes on in your own home. Put him on notice with a warning that he has crossed over the boundaries of what behavior is acceptable and will not be tolerated one more time and if he does it again, he'll have 30 days to vacate. Put this in writing and send it to him certified mail. However, if you issue this ultimatium, you must be willing to follow through and proceed with an official eviction notice.

Now, to the children. Dang, what a mess for them! First, not having their mother there... having to move from their own home and then exposure to this type behavior by their father. Someone needs to sit down with your son, maybe a clergy or a counselor or even an attorney... and lay it out to him and the consequences of his actions, i.e., not only the moral issues, but from the legal side as well, and how he could loose these children if he doesn't get his act together... quickly. He needs to address his situation with the wife, and start filing for a legal separation or divorce, plus custody and child support, etc. I'd also advise you to find out what your own legal rights are in this situation as far as the children if he is uncapable of caring for them on his own. You, at least, need the ability to be able to legally get them medical attention if an emergency arises.

I feel for you... you've been put in the middle of a nasty situation. While I know you're main concern is for your grandchildren... please DO keep your own mental and physical health and welfare first... 'tis the only way you'll survive this intact!

Best to all of you!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM

28 posts, read 73,485 times
My son's wife is 29 and addicted to crack. My son and I have physical custody of the girls. His sister in law is 30. He and his wife have been seperated for several years, but neither have bothered to get a divorce. Money is a big issue for both of them. It has been a very sad situation for the girls for a long time. Their mother will try to do well for awhile and visit with them and promise to be ok, and then take off and we won't hear from her for weeks at a time. The girls are 7, 5 and 3.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
Quote:
My son's wife is 29 and addicted to crack. My son and I have physical custody of the girls. His sister in law is 30. He and his wife have been seperated for several years, but neither have bothered to get a divorce. Money is a big issue for both of them. It has been a very sad situation for the girls for a long time. Their mother will try to do well for awhile and visit with them and promise to be ok, and then take off and we won't hear from her for weeks at a time. The girls are 7, 5 and 3.
So your saying the Mother doesn't even have custody of the girls. I can't imagine but then again I have never taken anything like crack. I am so sorry your family is going through something like this. I am glad that you have some control over the issue with the children. How on earth did your son manage to have three girls with a woman who is a crack addict?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting