Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,488 times

Advertisements

There's a poster at university from a fertility clinic encouraging "healthy young men" to become sperm donors. They say there's a lack of donors from the 18-30 age bracket.

Around 80% of students in this college are male so I suppose that's way they put it here. I'm 23, never been a smoker, never did drugs and I'm a blood donor so I get regularly tested for major STI's (never had sex anyway so it's unlikely I would have any).

I have no intention of ever having children of my own but I wouldn't mind helping others fulfilling their dream. Plus, you get paid for every donation.

However, I'm not really sure about how I would deal with the possibility of having biological children hanging around.

What would you say?

Last edited by Ironsmith; 01-29-2015 at 03:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
I would say that none of us know how you would deal with that either....

Old 01-29-2015, 05:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I would say that none of us know how you would deal with that either....
Just wanted to know other people's opinions. On one hand I feel good about helping others, on the other hand though...

Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,325,215 times
I'm pretty sure the sperm bank will interview you prior to donating, maybe this will help you make your final decision. Tell them about your doubts, they are definitely used to seeing people with mixed feelings, just like you.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
anonymous sperm donors have been around for centuries. I think they do a service to help couples build families. great care should be taken by reputable centers with lots of sperm mobility tests, questionnaire not only about you but your family as well. Be honest. If you do decide to be a sperm donor be very careful about where the sperm goes. I think most is frozen now but if you give in city X then if you have children someday and are still living in city X and your child (yes things change) decides to have a kid with somebody also born or raised in city X make sure that somebody is not a results of sperm donation or potentially your kids could be reproducing together. not usually a good idea.
You will be limited to how many specimens you can donate and the money is miniscule so don't do it for the money. Do it for altruistic reasons only. You could probably make more money by selling your blood.

My son is a sperm donor. He has donated almost all over the world as he travels a great deal. He has a healthy (too healthy) ego and figures he should spread his "superior seed".. whatever...I just told him if he has a child from this I don't want to know about it unless I can be part of the child's life.

He too was recruited in college. I asked him to wait and think about it until he was older- at least 1 year and he did.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
There's a poster at university from a fertility clinic encouraging "healthy young men" to become sperm donors. They say there's a lack of donors from the 18-30 age bracket.

Around 80% of students in this college are male so I suppose that's way they put it here. I'm 23, never been a smoker, never did drugs and I'm a blood donor so I get regularly tested for major STI's (never had sex anyway so it's unlikely I would have any).

I have no intention of ever having children of my own but I wouldn't mind helping others fulfilling their dream. Plus, you get paid for every donation.

However, I'm not really sure about how I would deal with the possibility of having biological children hanging around.

What would you say?
If I remember correctly from what I read you have to go through tests and other evaluations before you are accepted so this may not be an issue depending on what the tests and evaluations show.

Also, just because you donate does not mean you will be chosen so you will not know for sure if you do or do not have children running around.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:47 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,697 times
Are you tall? If you are short you may not be selected.

My friend conceived last year with donor sperm so I have a little info on the subject from the other perspective. She said all the donors are always tall.

The bank she worked with provides the clients with baby photos of the donors, info about the donor but no adult photos. I know she is part of the DSR and is in touch with half siblings. It is kind of complicated but this lays it out pretty well. Check out the donorsiblingregistry.com.

https://www.donorsiblingregistry.com...G%20SPERM.docx

Old 01-29-2015, 04:55 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,917 times
I think theres enough humans on this planet as it is. Let people adopt the ones already out there.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:06 PM

141 posts, read 160,639 times
The idea that a man is ok with having children he knows nothing about is a huge turn off for me. It just screams lack od paternal instinct.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
I do it quite often - go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting