Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:58 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

The Duggar family has been in the news lately, and this has peeked my interest in family size.

Is there a number of children that you think are "too many for just about anyone to handle" or not?

If so, what is that amount?

Finances are certainly part of this - but only one part. I am also thinking about the emotional resources involved with raising a huge brood.

Personally, I always wanted four children. I came from a family of four and I think that number strikes a balance between small and large that is, for me, just right.
I only have two children, however. I think two children is a bit small and lonely, for my taste.

It is my opinion that unless people are extremely wealthy and outstandingly energetic - emotionally and physically - that "double digit" families are really hard to pull off well.

So, my personal opinion would be no more than eight. And that is pushing it.

What are your thoughts? I am very curious and I tend to be generous with rep - so please share away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 05:11 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I always wanted four... until I had two.
And that was enough for me!

I cannot imagine having eight... having them on car insurance and getting them through college would be daunting. PLUS all the activities through the school years. Not for me.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I originally wanted two and got three for which I am extremely grateful. My grandfather was from a mega-family of thirteen. It seemed to work, but the family dynamics were very different from what happens in my household today. Nineteen children makes my head spin!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Even if a couple has the financial resources to support a large family (more than five or six children) in today's society I think it is a rare couple that can give the individual attention to each child that they need. When you have a very large family, like eight, ten or more children, often the parents rely on the older children to care for the younger children far more than is appropriate.

In the super large families, like the Duggers, the older children may devote hours a day to child care & child rearing responsibilities. IMHO, these hours would be better spend playing games, studying, having a hobby or doing other child or teen activities rather than doing their parent's jobs.

IMHO, for most middle class families it is difficult to raise and support more than two or three children, especially if you want to help them through college.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-11-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 PM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
Me and my husband want no more then 2 kids. We both came from families of 4 as well.

We both feel the world is built for 4 people; cars so no one has to sit in the middle, typical restaurant tables(without having to wait) theme park rides are either in 2's or 4's and so forth.

We also have the careers to support 4 people, but I feel like more having more and we would have to start sacrificing in other areas. I'd rather be able to do camps, vacations, live in nice homes etc than have a large family IMO.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:56 PM

509 posts, read 554,901 times
As long as you can take care of the kids I don't really care.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I always wanted four... until I had two.
And that was enough for me!

I cannot imagine having eight... having them on car insurance and getting them through college would be daunting. PLUS all the activities through the school years. Not for me.
LOL! I wanted two, then I wanted another but DH said "one's not enough and two's too many". As the youngest was graduating from high school I thought about my friend with six, and wondered how she/they kept up interest in school activities. (# 5 and 6 were around my kids' ages.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Even if a couple has the financial resources to support a large family (more than five or six children) in today's society I think it is a rare couple that can give the individual attention to each child that they need. When you have a very large family, like eight, ten or more children, often the parents rely on the older children to care for the younger children far more than is appropriate.

In the super large families, like the Duggers, the older children may devote hours a day to child care & child rearing responsibilities. IMHO, these hours would be better spend playing games, studying, having a hobby or doing other child or teen activities rather than doing their parent's jobs.

IMHO, for most middle class families it is difficult to raise and support more than two or three children, especially if you want to help them through college.
You know, there was a family in my hometown with 18. I was friends with one of the older ones; the oldest guy. That's not how they did it. I met this guy at work, plus we "hung out" after work.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
As long as you can take care of the kids I don't really care.
Me either. I was one of 7 kids. My mother took care of us, not the siblings. I have three, my son has one and says there won't be another. To each his own, as long as the children are happy and healthy, and provided for.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Duggar family has been in the news lately, and this has peeked my interest in family size.

Is there a number of children that you think are "too many for just about anyone to handle" or not?

If so, what is that amount?
FYI, it's "piqued my interest."

To me, "too large" depends on how well behaved the kids are.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I'm the youngest of seven, and my parents did a great job and never seemed too overwhelmed. I think seven or eight kids is totally doable by the right people, especially if they're spaced somewhat apart in age. More than that, and I start to wonder if everyone is really getting what they need. I would certainly never say that 9 or 10 or more kids is too many for absolutely anyone, but I do think it's too many for most people.

As for myself, I have three, and that is the right number for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting