Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Being too feelings-oriented isn't good either. Sometimes, you just need to suck it up in life. Kids don't learn that lesson anymore, which is why they can't handle even the smallest stressors and turn to drugs so readily (I know....a good portion of my friends from high school became drugs addicts).

Also, sometimes a kid needs their ass beat. Not always, but sometimes.

It's all about balance. Unfortunately, society seems to go from one extreme to the other on most things.
No one needs their ass beat. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 05:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I can attest to that. And as I said, hitting someone because you think they're stubborn or willful will only make the situation worse, much worse.

There are people who get down in the dumps and then there's clinical depression. You'd be a fool to confuse the two, so why would people think ODD is the same as being stubborn or willful?
Exactly. Its like saying someone who needs reading glasses is legally blind.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I know a few kids that take the meds...and not one of them are 'zombies'. In one case..the school doesn't even know he takes the medication.

In another the parents were only going to give the meds during the week....until their daughter asked to take it all the times because she felt so much better and able to actually enjoy fun weekend things rather than just bouncing off the walls, unfocused and getting yelled at.
I'd like to take some drugs all the time, too. Does that make it OK?

Old 06-30-2015, 05:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I do think that personality disorders (and disorders like this) exist. However, I believe they exist primarily due to poor parenting and upbringing.

From my observation, the vast majority of people these days are very poor parents.
Well I think you're wrong also! My husband and I have two children, (now adults) one with ODD, one without. We were GOOD, caring, loving parents. We raised them both equally with discipline and fairness.

I firmly believe that children are born with their personallity traits through their genes. Children are a combination of nature and nuture, but IMO, they are made up of more nature than nuture.

Our child with ODD was born with anger inside him. Before he could even talk, he gave himself bruises across his forehead from banging it on things during temper tantrums. Time outs were about the only thing that settled him down. No amount of talking or reasoning (when he was a toddler or adolescent) helped. He is now 30 and still has anger issues, but is now much calmer and happy.

Our other child was mild mannered from birth and remains so to this day.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I'd like to take some drugs all the time, too. Does that make it OK?
If they are prescribed medicines for an underlying condition of course it would be okay.

In her case they found a medicine that allowed her to function and increased her quality of life. Why wouldn't that be okay?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:30 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I was a teacher in a private school that specialized in learning disorder/behavioral problem for a while, and the principal had what I thought was a good clue for telling if a kid had and actual attention/hyperactivity disorder or was just having a self-discipline problem. FWIW this principal was a minimalist type - on the side of be very very sure before prescribing drugs for what may simply be a behavior problem.

The difference is this.
Watch the kid do something he wants to do, such as playing a difficult computer game or practicing a sport. A kid with ADHD has difficulty doing things he wants to do. For example, he can't stay focused on the computer game long enough to complete the levels, gets frustrated and throws the thing on the floor.
Kids whose problem stems from not being raised right will get zoned out and keep playing for hours. They may get frustrated when it's difficult, but that doesn't stop from staying in focus.
The ADHD kids, if they get the proper dose of their medicine, can stay focused and enjoy doing the things they want to do. It's like night and day for some of them.
You can also see it in sports. A regular kid will stand and practice shooting hoops for as long as you'll let him if he wants to. The ADHD kid will shoot, shoot, look at the ceiling, shoot, shoot, run in a circle, shoot and run off. Maybe later he'll come back and play some and then run off, but he gets frustrated because he can't stay focused long enough to practice and acquire the skill

It's a simplification, I know, but after working with kids with a variety of problems it really stands out for a lot of them.

Now I'm going to suppose something about ODD kids.
Disclaimer: ODD kids are not in my personal experience.
I suppose the ones with the actual disorder can't do the things they want to do with other people because they blow up at the slightest opposition (decisions like what movie should we go see? want to get a hamburger or hot dog?), and most other people will not put up with that twice, so the ODD kid becomes an outcast.
Kids who are just brats can go along and compromise when they think it's to their advantage. e.g. "The gang wants to go see that movie, but I don't. However, Susan is going to be there so I'll go along".
I think that principal was extremely unprofessional and should be removed. I have never heard of a teacher or principal trying to diagnose a child.

Our degrees are in educating children.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
That's when you get out the leather strap, take him into a tool shed or closet, and have a ten minute "confidential behavioral consultation."

Works wonders, although it might have to be repeated a few times.

As Nietzsche said, pain is a great teacher.
No mafter how much you'd enjoy beating a child.......that wouldn't work...especially with a child that has ODD.

Is your answer to everything just beating the kid?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If a medication is turning a child into a zombie then the medication should be stopped immediately. PROPER MEDICATION does not turn a child into a zombie. Quite the opposite actually.
I've never had a child that was a zombie in my classroom. A child that is in that state can not learn and it is not a good thing. Any teacher that prefers that state is not a good teacher and does not have the students welfare in mind.

We strived very hard to get the medication right for students, through countless hours of observation and note taking. Less was better than too much.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think that principal was extremely unprofessional and should be removed. I have never heard of a teacher or principal trying to diagnose a child.

Our degrees are in educating children.
You don't think teachers shoukd recognize the signs and pass that information on to patents and doctors?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You don't think teachers shoukd recognize the signs and pass that information on to patents and doctors?
They can suggest seeing a doctor, but they can't diagnose. A teacher or principal should not be diagnosing students.

"I have some concerns about "student x". He/she is having difficulty paying attention during lessons and focusing on his/her class work. Are you seeing signs of this at home? If so, have you discussed this with your child's doctor?"

Vs.

Your child can concentrate while playing basketball or video games, so I don't think this is ADHD. He/she just needs more discipline.(or whatever)

Or...
Your child can't focus while playing games, so they probably have ADHD.

Every child is unique and I have no way to diagnose them. I can guess because I have been around many students with issues, but that's all it is. A guess. I could be 100%wrong. Some children don't get diagnosed until they are in middle school or high school, because the teachers may think they will grow out of it.

I can observe the child and take notes for the parent to take to their doctor.

Last edited by Meyerland; 06-30-2015 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting