Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 05:05 PM

25,996 posts, read 22,187,436 times

Advertisements

The budget must be really tight because I have known a lot of people who ended up being able to budget in a 3rd or more child that they didn't plan on having.

She's able to stay at home while the children are young. I have seen this before. The thought of the kids getting older and then her taking a job, if a baby comes along, she would extend her time at home. No, seriously, I have seen this a few times. My guess is they will have an "oops" and she'll have her 3rd child.

This woman has not a clue what a "sacrifice" is by what she described as their lifestyle. A whole year living on canned foods and shopping consignment? A lot of people would be happy for that alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,882,237 times
She does seem to have the words choice and sacrifice confused. ��

Old 07-01-2015, 05:21 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,921,327 times
Sounds like some poor budgeting. If having the dream home made them that tight on money, what happens if she accidentally gets pregnant? Husband loses his job? Child gets sick and they have medical bills to pay?

Also, she sounds like the kind of person I avoid in real life. I agree that we all make sacrifices, and if this is the sacrifice she wanted to make then that's fine for her, but are we really supposed to feel bad for a woman who has a time-share, a custom built "fully loaded luxury home" of her dreams, stays-at-home, has an "essential" riding lawn mower, and so on? There are families who have none of that, and can barely afford a 1200 square foot rambler in a crummy neighborhood. Give me a break.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:38 PM

6,782 posts, read 5,503,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
"I Made A Huge Sacrifice To Buy My Dream Home"

Apparently this mom is getting a lot of criticism for this. Thoughts?

They seem more well-off than most people, and maybe a little out of touch to the true sacrifices a lot of people make. Other than that, I don't find her story to be all that unique. Don't we all make sacrifices? Don't a lot of people make a financial plan and determine how many kids they can afford? I don't pity her at all. I don't know if that's what she was after. We all make choices in life. She's making hers. End of story.
I have no children and DON'T {yet} own my dream house! {what I DO own is OK for now, as I don't yet know where I will retire to}.

MANy forgo retirement comfortably JUST to have children.

I know SEVERAL "mothers" around here, who cannot afford the children they've got! Some are just breeding factories with a different father for each child, never married to any of them or divorced quickly once the alcohol wears off! Bad statement I know,but THERE ARE those!

This couple is SMART to know they cannot afford a 3rd child!! SMART! At least they did the Budget FIRST, and NOT AFTER the kid is here!

Old 07-01-2015, 06:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,196,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I always laugh at the assumption young people like this make that they have absolute control over their lives.

She thinks this is a bad problem worth writing about. LOL

So what happens if she accidentally gets pregnant ... with twins?? Or if hubby who planned so carefully gets laid off??

The hubris of the young and well-to-do is always entertaining.
Even among our friends and coworkers I can easily think of a dozen things that will throw a monkey wrench into her "carefully planned world".

I know several people who died from cancer or other illness in the 30s or 40s.

My friend's husband was in a car accident which caused serious brain damage. He now has the mental capacity of an 8 year old and obviously, can not be the family bread winner any more.

Another friend's mother had a stroke and she is now a SAHM and a full time caregiver.

There is my friend who used to be a professor at a top ranked University who developed early onset Alzheimer.

etc.

etc.

etc.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,302,254 times
Good for her .

Old 07-01-2015, 06:58 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Don't take this as snarky, but I'm trying to figure out why you said you husband is very tall. It seems like it is supposed to be related to having kids close in age, but I'm not sure.
I was wondering the same thing.

What is the relevancy of his height in relation to her post?

Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Well...she's a woman.

Need I say more ?
Wow.

I can't believe you really went there.

Enjoy the wrath that should follow.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,395,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Well...she's a woman.

Need I say more ?
And yet the bulk of the criticism is coming from...wait for it...other women.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:14 PM

389 posts, read 427,316 times
Sounds like she should have married a man who made more money or should have gone into a more lucrative career than teaching herself. As a single mom with one child who bought a small home last year on my own, I have absolutely no sympathy for this person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting