Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

"I Made A Huge Sacrifice To Buy My Dream Home"

Apparently this mom is getting a lot of criticism for this. Thoughts?

They seem more well-off than most people, and maybe a little out of touch to the true sacrifices a lot of people make. Other than that, I don't find her story to be all that unique. Don't we all make sacrifices? Don't a lot of people make a financial plan and determine how many kids they can afford? I don't pity her at all. I don't know if that's what she was after. We all make choices in life. She's making hers. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 AM

634 posts, read 708,781 times
Odd article. She can afford a dream house but not a 3rd child? Maybe I am picturing a dream house that is my dream house and not her dream house - a normal 4 br/2.5ba.

We have spent the least amount of money on our 3rd child. We already had everything (e.g., crib, baby gear, etc.). Our 3rd kid was a different sex than our 1st 2 kids. So for her clothes, I just got all of my niece's hand me downs.

I understand there are long term expenses that will arise, but the author brags about how diligent and organized she and her husband are about money and their future. If she cannot to afford to budget in future expenses of a 3rd child they must be living paycheck to paycheck for their dream house also. The house seems more like a nightmare to be such an overarching influence on her happiness.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
They scrupulously saved and bought secondhand in order to have their luxury dream home, but accidentally forgot to have room to grow. Kids can't share a bedroom? And that powder room is for GUESTS. Heaven forbid the meticulous plans mean the butler's pantry is knocked out to make a bigger family room or something.

I just can't even.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I'm not sure if I consider that a sacrifice really. Nobody says a couple needs to have 1, 2 or 5 kids at all. It's a personal decision that two people need to make on their own and outside of that, it's nobody else's business.

If they want to have 1 child and buy a nice house and drive a Mercedes, that's their call. If they want to buy a cheap fixer upper to support 5 kids...that's their call as well.

I don't see a big deal with their choice. They have a certain lifestyle envisioned, and the way to keep that lifestyle intact is to stop at two kids. Their decision, their choice, their business.

I think the article blows it over the top a little bit in the way it's worded. I have plenty of friends who debated that 3rd child and mulled it over and decided their way for whatever reasons.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-01-2015 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Ick. That's all the response I can muster.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
"I Made A Huge Sacrifice To Buy My Dream Home"

Apparently this mom is getting a lot of criticism for this. Thoughts?

They seem more well-off than most people, and maybe a little out of touch to the true sacrifices a lot of people make. Other than that, I don't find her story to be all that unique. Don't we all make sacrifices? Don't a lot of people make a financial plan and determine how many kids they can afford? I don't pity her at all. I don't know if that's what she was after. We all make choices in life. She's making hers. End of story.
I'd say she's brilliant. She wanted her dream house, and knew she could have one as long as she didn't have another child. Good for her.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:01 AM

813 posts, read 601,011 times
My uterus aches for her...

Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
Odd article. She can afford a dream house but not a 3rd child? Maybe I am picturing a dream house that is my dream house and not her dream house - a normal 4 br/2.5ba.

We have spent the least amount of money on our 3rd child. We already had everything (e.g., crib, baby gear, etc.). Our 3rd kid was a different sex than our 1st 2 kids. So for her clothes, I just got all of my niece's hand me downs.

I understand there are long term expenses that will arise, but the author brags about how diligent and organized she and her husband are about money and their future. If she cannot to afford to budget in future expenses of a 3rd child they must be living paycheck to paycheck for their dream house also. The house seems more like a nightmare to be such an overarching influence on her happiness.
I was thinking that, too. If things are that tight, maybe they didn't budget all that well.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 AM

154 posts, read 259,950 times
I don't see how she made "a huge sacrifice to buy her dream home", she specifically says they bought the house last year and have been enjoying it ever since. She just realized that to keep her current lifestyle she cannot have another child. So I do not think there is a sacrifice there, this is simply an informed decision. A choice. There is nothing physically preventing them from having that 3rd child, but they know what it entails to do so and they made a choice not to.

I do not see the heroics.

My uterus aches for her as well.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:13 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
Sounds like a smart couple who have planned well over the course of their marriage. Sorry the woman is having doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting