Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,169,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Sometimes there is a cultural element to these situations. Some cultures accept (or actively support it) the situation and there is nothing "sad" about it. We would have to know the whole story to really be judgmental.

And I do think that this thread belongs in the Las Vegas folder.
I figured since we live in Vegas, the school is in Vegas, situation is in Vegas and I prefer to converse with the good folks on this Vegas forum, then why not post in the Las Vegas forum? I'm sure Mods work their magic as necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 AM

550 posts, read 638,677 times
I agree. No need to move this thread. It's about a situation happening here.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:10 PM

670 posts, read 1,105,805 times
This happened to a friend of mine's younger sister 23 years ago back East. She was 13 years old. Poor single (mother) family home, loser boyfriend, bad crowd, etc. This was alarming at a highly rated school in New England. The local paper and the evening news were all over it and did several interviews and stories about her.

Fast forward 20 years she is a very successful business owner, happily married to a great husband. She straightened up and worked her ass off. Interestingly, it looked like her daughter was heading down the same road she was on when she was young (loser boyfriends, wrong crowds, etc) but, she too straightened out and is now happily married. I saw on Facebook they just closed on their first house.

I think genetics plays a big roll in all this. Any number of setbacks can happen in life but they don't automatically determine the future. Alternatively, if classmates are influenced by this girls behavior they were probably headed down that road anyway.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM

204 posts, read 319,425 times
I went to a super small school. We had a girl pregnant in the 7th grade. I asked my nephew how many girls were pregnant or had kids while he was in high school (small school, maybe 350 total) he paused. I'm thinking "How many could it be?" Turned out he was counting all of them in his head. He said that he could think of 15 that had kids and 4 more that were pregnant. Times they are a changin'

Old 09-04-2015, 02:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,011,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro1320 View Post
Times they are a changin'

Actually, times (and kids) aren't changing all that much. This was always happening. It's just that the obits way back when were full of notices about teen-aged girls who died "after a brief illness." And then the family swept the back-alley botched abortion under the rug and knocked their consciences back with booze and pills.

At least it's out in the open now. That's somewhat of an improvement.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:54 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,071,219 times
Quote:
Sometimes there is a cultural element to these situations. Some cultures accept (or actively support it) the situation and there is nothing "sad" about it. We would have to know the whole story to really be judgmental.

And I do think that this thread belongs in the Las Vegas folder.
Personally, I feel 13 year olds having babies is sad, regardless of their culture.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:16 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,830,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Personally, I feel 13 year olds having babies is sad, regardless of their culture.
Why?

Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,071,219 times
Quote:
Why?
Major decisions like childbirth and marriage shouldn't be made by children. They shouldn't be robbed of their childhood.

Think back to your 13 year old self and who you would have chosen to marry at the time, think you would be happy with that decision now?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:21 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,719,625 times
In the 90s I worked for a school district in San Jose, CA. I was shocked to find a daycare center at one of the middle school were for teen mothers grade 6-8 grade. I use to notice more teenage mothers back then than I notice now.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:47 PM

625 posts, read 798,198 times
That sucks. I had a student in the 8th grade back in Alabama who had a 1 year old. Got a HS girl pregnant. Its sad, but his type of culture it wasnt a big deal. He would get picked up at dismissal to go work because he wasnt old enough to drive.

IMO, one of the saddest things is seeing a kid getting robbed of their childhood for dumb mistakes on their part or things that are out of their control(molest, rape, crappy parents, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of: