Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand how anyone-busy or not- can forget a child, especially an infant- in the car. When I worked i worried about my children, pictured them in my mind, etc. How can you not realize you forgot a child in the car?

Vitals - Two children die in hot cars as risky season begins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
I used to have nightmares about accidentally doing this.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I just don't understand how anyone-busy or not- can forget a child, especially an infant- in the car. When I worked i worried about my children, pictured them in my mind, etc. How can you not realize you forgot a child in the car?

Vitals - Two children die in hot cars as risky season begins
One time, I spaced out on my way to dd's daycare, thinking about work or what I needed to do probably, and drove right past the daycare towards work. I got a few blocks past it before I realized dd was still in the car, and turned around. It was one of those 'Duh!' moments, but I can't imagine going to work, sitting there 8 hours, and never remembering that I had not dropped her off. I've never been too busy to think about her, or remember dropping her off in the morning.

For a parent for who normally doesn't drop the child off, I can understand how they can automatically go into their normal routine and forget they have the child in the car. In those cases, it is a tragic, unfortunate accident. The ones I find unforgivable are the ones who deliberately leave kids in the car while they shop or visit beauty parlors, tanning salons, strip clubs, etc. Those are the ones who belong in jail.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM

25,958 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I don't know, I just cannot imagine that you could go an entire day and not remember that you forgot to leave a child at daycare. At 57 years old, I remember lots of things as I review if I have taken care of everything that needed to be taken care of. It just appears they don't have human instinct operating for them or maybe they are so wrapped up in themselves that they really didn't have room for a child in their life. It is so unfortunate. You got to wonder though how many are left and the parent realizes it. Bad enough they do this with their pets.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I agree, how on Earth do you forget a child in the car.????????????

I remember the Mother on Oprah, she was doing all her errands getting donuts for the office staff, parked the car and the kid was dead by the time she came out of work. She said because the routine was different that morning.

No, I don't buy it. Nothing is more important than your children, who could possibly be that pre-occupied that you forget your child in the car................??????????????

Murder, she belonged in jail.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 PM

530 posts, read 1,163,414 times
Years ago I read the article below from the Washington Post about this issue. The article is a bit heart-wrenching, and it helps explain how something like this could happen:

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:15 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Negligent homicide? I would want the death penalty for myself because I could not live after doing something like that. Perhaps, as a precaution, daycare centers should require a call-in like the schools and if the call isn't received, maybe they could call the parent. Here in town with the public pre-school program, a child was left on the bus and no one missed him. Now, they do a headcount of how many kids get on the bus and make sure that many come off the bus and go into the classroom. I'm sorry but I still can't imagine that pretty quick you would not just an "OMG moment", I know what I forgot! I don't remember this happening that much in the past but guess people have more important things on their minds these days!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the article ellar. Sometime it seems like "there but for the Grace of God go I." We all are saying this could never happen to us
"I'm a watchful father" but it does happen to the best of us. I guess what we should say is "I hope it never happens to us." Try as I might, I still can't understand how the human mind can block out leaving their offspring in an unattended car.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Negligent homicide? I would want the death penalty for myself because I could not live after doing something like that. Perhaps, as a precaution, daycare centers should require a call-in like the schools and if the call isn't received, maybe they could call the parent. Here in town with the public pre-school program, a child was left on the bus and no one missed him. Now, they do a headcount of how many kids get on the bus and make sure that many come off the bus and go into the classroom. I'm sorry but I still can't imagine that pretty quick you would not just an "OMG moment", I know what I forgot! I don't remember this happening that much in the past but guess people have more important things on their minds these days!
As the article points out, it is mainly because of the law that car seats have to be in the back seat and in the case of infant carriers it has to be facing backwards. What is not seen isn't remembered I guess is what it is saying. I cannot imagine a worse hell than knowing you have caused the death of your own child.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
As the article points out, it is mainly because of the law that car seats have to be in the back seat and in the case of infant carriers it has to be facing backwards. What is not seen isn't remembered I guess is what it is saying. I cannot imagine a worse hell than knowing you have caused the death of your own child.

NO, I can't imagine anyone being this STUPID as to forget a child??????

the grocery list, yes, a child............................NO !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting