Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:14 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Bullied. Nothing horrible. Did get in a fight once in 5th grade because of it, and I got real lucky. The idiot came at me and I ducked and he flipped over me and I instinctively sat on his chest and started punching until we were pulled apart.
Yes again lol in year 8 or 8th grade ( sorry lol ) we had a new kid big black kid that thought he was it!!! He started and I got a few good ones in and knocked his tooth out it certainly put off anyone else starting and we actually became best mates after that

But all Grown up I wouldn't want to fight him now he's HUGE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:26 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
I was never a bully. I attended parochial schools from K-12. Being white, I was a minority student. I was subject to a form of bullying, but it was psychological, rather than physical. I was never welcome to participate in any school activities, including sports. Basically, I was ignored. No one ever thought about getting physical with me, since my dad was a police officer and he enrolled me in martial arts classes at an early age.

I survived without any bitterness.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I was bullied in grammar school and the pain bothered me for years. My daughter was teased in middle school and after months of some boy making remarks about her breasts she decked him and he was sent to the ER. My son was bullied in high school as he was not a jock just a very smart kid. He finally had enough and even though the football captain outweighed him by 50 lbs. he knocked him down a flight of stairs. I think parents need to enforce the bullying at home, listening to what they are saying to their friends and if they think their kid is being a bully put a stop to it.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:15 PM

93 posts, read 83,433 times
Bullied. Daily. Mercilessly. I was shy and awkward. I had many health problems. My glasses were over half an inch thick. I had weird hair and shabby clothes. I never stuck up for myself because I was too afraid to do so. Needless to say, high school was a very rough time.

I think the more recent trend of schools, parents, and others encouraging kids to speak up about their being bullied, and actually doing something about it, is a very good thing.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:03 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,429 times
I was in the middle of the primate hierarchy, and so I bullied those below me, and was bullied by those above. I handed out my share of humilitations, and received quite a few of my own, and my karmic balance feels roughly even steven.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:45 PM

465 posts, read 418,510 times
I was bullied alot because I was the smallest guy in school, 2 of 4 high school years. Upon graduation, I grew to 6 foot and started pounding the weights hard, jumping up to 220 pds...and became a cop. Needless to say my bullies were suddenly scared of me but that was not goal...wanted to be a cop....but I did have some redemption when I saw fear in their eyes.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:57 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Never was a bully, though I was a pain sometimes, but nothing cruel. Never a bully.

I was picked on sometimes but never bullied, where I dreaded going to school.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:25 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Bullied. I was a year and a half younger than my classmates, so while I am at least an average sized guy, I was always smaller than my classmates growing up. I think a large majority of people would say bullied rather than that they were bullies - a few people cause most of the trouble.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:07 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
I was bullied by Fred Calhoun in the 5th grade. He beat me up and took my Timex watch. I am 50 years old and still remember this LOL

My 2 sisters and I are light skinned and had long hair. We would get ganged up on in elementary school years by dark skinned girls who would think that we thought we were better than them. (um, can't help how we looked, we're just here to play...hello) They cajoled us into going into the back alley to play and beat us up. Once.

Needless to say, I learned how to cornrow hair really quick and did mine and my sister's hair regularly, which we would place in a bun so our hair couldn't be pulled. We stuck together tight and did what we could (this was South Jamaica Queens back in the early 70's, so there was no parents, teachers, the President, rallies etc standing up for us and punishing bullies, you better be ready to fight your way to respect)

Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I was more of a bully than I was bullied. When I think back on it, I really do not know why I was like this. I do remember that I was a sort of spoiled brat...the first born and first grandchild, so I was treated like madam queen until my siblings came along, and then I still seemed to get away with being a brat.
After many years of smacking up against some cold hard realities, I became a compassionate person. But if my children acted like I did, they would not have gotten away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting