Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I don't see it as entertainment so much as people interacting with animals and developing relationship with them that is quite unique.
We know that in the wild dolphins have come to the rescue of humans ,why is a mystery but that all the more makes for a fascination for their regard for man greater than man's regard for them.
The animal thrives on performance ,much like dogs that are trained/bread for work.
I think that dolphins know the environment they are in, and know it's safer in there than in the ocean.
May be not true of those born in captivity however , dolphins to teach one another ,both their offspring and other dolphins.
Seems to me that if those with money loved these creatures so much they would teach dolphin how to avoid nets , seeing that is how so many are lost from fishing for a tuna or albacore or other popular fish or marine biologist .
What? So if I win the lottery, I should go out to the open ocean and teach dolphins how to avoid nets? OK then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 07:08 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,972,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was at the Los Angeles Zoo on Saturday and the Elephants seemed to be just fine. They are well taken care of and enjoying life. On top of that lots of people enjoyed seeing the elephant.
Elephants belong in large herds that they consider their family. Elephants have a very high cognitive level, mourn when a member dies, celebrate births, and roam over large areas in the wild. IF, IF they are captive in a family unit, AND given large areas to roam, AND humans are kept at a reasonable distance (for the respect of the elephants and the safety of the humans) I believe that captive-born elephants might be able to thrive in captivity.

However, elephants should never be kept in solitary units or small numbers. They should not be fed peanuts and marshmallows. I've never seen one digging for peanuts or trying to find a marshmallow tree in the wild. Yes, elephants have been somewhat domesticated in their native lands. I'm not sure how I feel about that. But I don't think we need to harvest them from the wild, breed without careful planning in captivity, and we should not contribute to training/domesticating them. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting