Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:29 AM

769 posts, read 834,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
How do they know that you are taking your child to the doctor every two months- are you going during your work hours? Does the doctor not have evening or weekend hours? You don't have to tell your boss or your coworkers medical information about your child. If you are continually taking time off to go to the doctor, you should talk to your boss and see if some accommodation can be worked out.
She's probably asking to leave early or show up late to accommodate the doctors appts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:38 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,454,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
My child takes a medication in which every 2 mo requires a Dr's visit. This has been going on for about a year now and I know my boss and coworkers "may" be wondering why I am taking my child to the Dr. every 2 months. I don't feel comfortable disclosing what type of medication my child is on to my boss and coworkers, and why my child needs to be seen every two months. They have not come out and asked me but one coworker has a child around the same age and probably wonders why I take my child to the Dr. so much. I know/could be overthinking the situation, but come on, how many visits does a healthy child need at the DR??
If you would not tell anyone your child is going to the doctor no one would know. You are not required to state the detailed reason if you need time off of work.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,130,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
Tell them there is a federal law called HIPAA which says you do not need to disclose anything medical about you or your kids to them

BUT, keep in mind, they also have the right to FIRE YOU for taking what they may deem excessive time off of work to take him to the doctor.

Having a kid and the kid having medical issues is not a valid excuse for taking a lot of time off work. Sorry but this is truth.
I don't think that the adversarial method is the best, right off the bat (re: HIPAA). If the company allows PTO to be used for such appointments, I don't know how it would be grounds for firing. If it were me, I'd schedule the appt. for early AM or late PM, to take the least amt. of time off possible.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:30 AM

152 posts, read 174,876 times
Quote:
She's probably asking to leave early or show up late to accommodate the doctors appts.
Exactly. Sometimes I even bring my child in with me to work before the appointment because the Dr. is like a block away. My boss is fine with this.

I know there will come a time when somebody at my work will ask my child question #1. Why are you here with mom today (in which my child will say to go to the DR) and then question #2. Oh, are you sick? Sooner or later my child will probably say no, I'm not sick, I am going to the Dr because of this. People are not nosey at my work, but seeing a child at my work does not happen much. They're just being nice, having conversation.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:48 AM

769 posts, read 834,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't think that the adversarial method is the best, right off the bat (re: HIPAA). If the company allows PTO to be used for such appointments, I don't know how it would be grounds for firing. If it were me, I'd schedule the appt. for early AM or late PM, to take the least amt. of time off possible.
I'm sure the company does allow the use of PTO for medical, but if it's being abused, it most certainly can be grounds for firing, especially if she has deadlines she cant make because of it

Old 10-23-2015, 11:53 AM

152 posts, read 174,876 times
Quote:
I'm sure the company does allow the use of PTO for medical, but if it's being abused, it most certainly can be grounds for firing, especially if she has deadlines she cant make because of it
I use my sick leave.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:55 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,454,412 times
So you are making an issue out of something that has not happened yet?

Non issue what if drama.........

Old 10-23-2015, 03:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,334,250 times
You are allowed to take intermittent FMLA time, if it came to that. So unless your company is small enough that FMLA doesn't apply, then no, you can't get fired for dealing with your child's chronic illness. But you would to complete paperwork for FMLA time, so it may be worth having that on file if you think it could be an issue.

The Family and Medical Leave Act - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - U.S. Department of Labor

As for what to say, I agree with those who say to just state that your son has a chronic condition that requires regular medical follow up. If someone asks what it is, say "why do you ask?" - chances are they will be embarrassed into silence.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:29 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,607,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
My child takes a medication in which every 2 mo requires a Dr's visit. This has been going on for about a year now and I know my boss and coworkers "may" be wondering why I am taking my child to the Dr. every 2 months. I don't feel comfortable disclosing what type of medication my child is on to my boss and coworkers, and why my child needs to be seen every two months. They have not come out and asked me but one coworker has a child around the same age and probably wonders why I take my child to the Dr. so much. I know/could be overthinking the situation, but come on, how many visits does a healthy child need at the DR??
Yes, you are overthinking the situation. You get the time off when you need it, and no one has asked about it. What is the problem? If someone asks you say "I am taking some personal time". The end.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:07 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,139,194 times
Maybe they are just concerned and are asking a simple question. Don't make it into more than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting