Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:14 PM

171 posts, read 194,324 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 41 and although I never wanted kids in the past I'm now regretting it. I have friends that keep saying "you can still have one" even after I ask them to please not say that. I think it's rude. My husband and I both work full time and can't afford not to. I'm struggle with 30/40 extra lbs. I have thyroid issues, highly stressed and at this point it would be risky....I just feel like people just don't relate to me anymore....friends with kids are more distant now. When I'm with people with kids thats all they talk about. People that meet me seem to wonder why we didn't have kids. When people ask if I have kids and I say no just dogs I feel an awkward silence afterwards. It's almost like I feel completely useless as a person. It consumes me now. I don't know why I just didn't try for a child in my early thirties....I was just so scared of being pregnant and dealing with more weight gain since I always struggled with it. The worst is when you find out someone you know in their 40's who you never thought would ever have a child is now pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:35 PM

22,642 posts, read 47,813,230 times
No, it is not shameful.
Not everyone is cut out to be a parent.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
No. Not shameful. Also not rude of your friends to say you could still have one. They are trying to be supportive.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:57 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,480,568 times
Here's your sign: https://img1.etsystatic.com/011/0/59...63093_tsmg.jpg

Old 10-25-2015, 09:20 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,313,525 times
No one's business but your own.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,813,767 times
Not shameful at all. For some reason, society thinks it's a woman's duty to have kids. Men are treated differently about this as Jennifer Aniston has pointed out by asking the media when are they going to start bugging George Cloony about having babies! Having kids is not a requirement for anyone and should be a complete choice. The human population isn't on the verge of extinction, if anything the more people we have opting out, the better .

As far as your friends being rude, I think it depends on how well they know the situation. If they know you didn't want kids before, and you say or imply that you regret it now, pointing out that there is still time (either through pregnancy or adoption) then they are being supportive. If they don't know the reasons, then I think it's rude, because some people may have wanted kids, but weren't able for whatever reason and proding could bring up painful emotions. If you are just meeting someone and they don't know how to respond to your "no just dogs" reply, try to make a light joke then ask them about their kids, that should move the conversation along .

Old 10-25-2015, 10:48 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,783,810 times
Your worth as a human being is not determined by whether you have children or not. It is not shameful to be childless. Only you can decide what is best for you . If you want a child then have one . If not, then don't. No one's business but your own.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:11 AM

6,404 posts, read 6,301,455 times
^ USELESS!? *pft* None of that please! Whatever you do for work is contributing to many more people than just ONE! In addition, you can volunteer or do anything else that you want to feel more "useful!"

Our society does seem to have a special shaming for childless women of 40+. It's like they don't understand them or know how to relate. Most are probably curious about "why" but won't ask.

When people ask you, maybe follow up with something like, "that was just not for me" or "i went in a different direction," etc. My usual response is "I can barely take care of myself and two cats!" This is the truth for me!!

If you REALLY still want to *be a parent,* many foster kids need placement. It costs less and should not make you gain weight.

But it seems to me that this is more about not being able to have the *option* which i totally understand and it is very normal.

It is the childfree person's equivalent of "empty nest syndrome."

Old 10-26-2015, 05:28 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,520,934 times
It is best for people to have children and pass on their values and traditions to a new generation. But some people have bad circumstances or just aren't good at parenting. Some people want to have kids but they never find an ideal partner. BTW I took many demographics classes in college and throughout history about 20% of women never have children. What's different today is that the women having children only have one or two so it isn't enough to raise the fertility rate above 2.

Myself I have a bad family situation and major student loan debt problems. I was born into a bad situation and always vowed I would not bring an innocent life into a situation that wasn't mostly ideal.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 AM

555 posts, read 894,600 times
I'm 59, never had children, and don't regret it. That said, I have enjoyed being grandma to my late first husband's grandchildren and enjoy staying in touch with former students. There are lots of ways to be useful to young people; biological parenting is only one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting