Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:45 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,238,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Excuse me?

Since when?

What USED to happen before folks had phones?
Folks have phones now.

Quote:
You'd rock up and introduce yourself.

It wasn't considered impolite 30 years ago, its still not.
Shrug. Not sure who defines rude. Even my MIL who LOVES to pop in on us announced knows its rude to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 12:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,939,859 times
I'd let her go but go in and introduce myself when I dropped her off. Don't be creepy and tag along or "drop in" unannounced. So rude. What are you going to find, them smoking meth?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:04 PM

649 posts, read 573,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Do not show up at their house unannounced! That is totally rude. Call them on the phone.
I totally agree with this, I don't want someone dropping by my house uninvited. Unless you interrupt a drug fuelled orgy, you're not going to gain any useful information anyway. Truthfully, every time you leave your kids with someone you're taking a risk but what's the alternative though, never letting them leave the house? I think a phone call would suffice but if you're still worried try Googling the parents and see if anything bad comes up. Facebook is a good way to learn a little bit about people also.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,964,325 times
Yes, of course let her go if you have raised her right. Go ahead, drop her off, meet the parents, make some small talk with leading questions to ensure an adult will be present, but good grief, quiet being a helicopter parent. If you did your job right, do you trust your daughter?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:17 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,281,131 times
Of course let her go! Past primary school age my parents never needed to meet my friends or their parents (met my friends if I invited them round but never asked to meet someone who hadn't been round) and they didn't need to in primary school but my mum naturally met them at the school gates when picking me up.

If you can trust your kid, then trust her.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:21 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,049,053 times
Are your daughter's friends attending? Maybe some of the other parents can answer your concerns.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,271,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Folks have phones now.

Shrug. Not sure who defines rude. Even my MIL who LOVES to pop in on us announced knows its rude to do so.

Apparently, you do.

I understand it may be a cultural difference however.

Downunder we tend to have our front doors stood open.

Folk walk in...hello.....anyone home....

But we don't need to be worried about being shot, down here. So there's that.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:36 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,640,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, of course let her go if you have raised her right. Go ahead, drop her off, meet the parents, make some small talk with leading questions to ensure an adult will be present, but good grief, quiet being a helicopter parent. If you did your job right, do you trust your daughter?
This is the best answer yet.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Apparently, you do.

I understand it may be a cultural difference however.

Downunder we tend to have our front doors stood open.

Folk walk in...hello.....anyone home....

But we don't need to be worried about being shot, down here. So there's that.
I don't think it's so much worried about getting shot as people are becoming more and more private here. I don't want people stopping by unannounced because they will likely catch me braless (with a top on still) and a pile of laundry on the living room couch and that would be embarrassing. I work too hard on my image to let that happen.... Well no I don't work hard on my image at all. I still don't want people to see it.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:19 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,564,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't think it's so much worried about getting shot as people are becoming more and more private here. I don't want people stopping by unannounced because they will likely catch me braless (with a top on still) and a pile of laundry on the living room couch and that would be embarrassing. I work too hard on my image to let that happen.... Well no I don't work hard on my image at all. I still don't want people to see it.
This, if you showed up at my door and I wasn't expecting you, didn't know you and you didn't have your child in tow (who one of my children would know), I wouldn't bother answering the door (probably wouldnt answer the phone either). Life is too busy and when I am home with family, I don't want to be interrupted by other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting