Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:54 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,578,505 times

Advertisements

When I smell my kid's head now, all I smell is Axe. LMAO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 PM

528 posts, read 939,660 times
I waited pretty late in life to have my first child. I wish someone had found the words - as if any exist - to explain to me just how awesome it would be to have a child (because then I'd have two or more!)

What I've learned is that there are no words to explain it, but once you experience it, you know just what I mean. To experience life as an adult but through the eyes of a child is one of life's greatest blessings. I can honestly say that everything in my life is better for having a child. There is no other love like it.

Sigh.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,413,105 times
Haven't read all these but for me when the rearing is finally done and your kids are successfully grown and happy with their lives, that tops all the rest.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:05 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,599,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
I've seen a lot of negative comments lately about parents and children such as:

Parents are miserable
Parents never sleep
Parents never travel
Parents never have fun
Having kids means you'll never have money
Parents are jealous of childless people
Parents are selfish
People shouldn't have kids because the world is already overpopulated
If you're a woman and you have a child, no man will ever want you
Kids are all disrespectful brats
Kids shouldn't be allowed in restaurants
Kids cry and scream all of the time
Basically being a parent sucks

Anyway, as parents we all know that some of these may be true some of the time but for most of us being a parent has more ups than downs. Having said all that, I thought it would be nice for parents to list some of the good things about having children, I'll start,

The amazing feeling of holding your newborn baby against your skin
Hearing your baby say mama or dada for the first time
Seeing the smile on your toddler's face when you walk in the room
Chasing your toddler through the house as they squee in delight
Seeing the excitement on your child's face on Christmas morning
Chores! Kids are an excellent way to get help around the house (I rarely did dishes from the time my daughter was about ten until she moved out)
Getting to experience fun kid stuff again like playing with play doh or dressing up Barbies
A teenager with a driver's license is eager to drive anywhere so it's an excellent opportunity to get them to run errands for you
The proud moment of seeing your kid accept their diploma in their cap and gown
My kid is only three months old, but thus far he only gets up once a night, so me and my wife aren't exhausted all the time. Even when he did (and occasionally does) get fussy or get up a few times, we have a great system and relationship where we alternate who gets up with him so neither one of us gets too drained.

He's really not that much more expensive than when it was just me and her (though I dread the teenage years when he's eating us out of house and home). I was never really big on having kids until my wife became pregnant (I was in favor of it but fully expected it to not be as miraculous and life changing as people say), but there's no doubt something very special, almost mystical, about being a parent. The moment he was born, I suddenly knew I'd do anything for him. Even when things get frustrating or I'm tired, when he cracks a smile it makes everything inexplicably better and makes me happy in a way I've never been before.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:14 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,031,262 times
Becoming a mother is the greatest job of all. I LOVE being a mommy so much. My little boy is the sweetest kid, sure he's only 14 months and he's a handful but I can't imagine life without him. What the heck did I do before he was born?!

Yes, I still run a book club, yes I still go out with my girlfriends once a month, but nothing makes me happier than to cuddle with my little boy

Old 11-03-2015, 05:16 AM

585 posts, read 496,439 times
My four year old son saying to me out of the blue "I love you Daddy."
My four year old daughter climbing on the couch to give Daddy a kiss.
My seven year old son excitingly telling me about his school day.

And that's just yesterday...

Old 11-03-2015, 07:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,624,095 times
My son wasn't a good sleeper but lots of babies are.

What I wouldn't give to feel his chubby toddler arms around my neck! Count that among the good things. That, and the love they feel for you and the love you feel for them. When you love someone so much that you would literally die for them if you could.

But that's not the end of it. Watching them grow in school and achieve in academics and sports, if that is their path. Watching their bodies grow and mature until they can do things that you never could! Families that you meet where you grow so close that you are raising your kids together.

My son is 20 now and far away in college. I love him JUST as much. We keep in touch through lots of texting and phone calls and I can't wait to watch him achieve his dreams.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 AM

7,272 posts, read 5,318,238 times
The daily grind of parenting is no different than the daily grind of life (work, social, etc).

The positive?

Having 2 awesome kids (son 32 & daughter 30), and 2 grandchildren from my son while my daughter continues her career as a nurse in the Army.

All I know is I feel I am in a minority, having two kids of that age that want to hang out or travel with their parents. I can't think of anything greater than having two kids that will be there for me for life. Did I parent perfectly? Of course not. I just tried my best along with my wife.

I believe having kids when I was young (23 and wife 21) kept us a generation closer than many other parents and children. Our kids always thought we were cool (I hated that), but in hindsight, being many years closer to their age than other parents I think helped.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:28 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,576,831 times
Except for my daughter being a screaming meemie, I don't really identify with any of those "parents are miserable" ideas.

Oh, and my 3 year old son is one interesting and fun dude.

It's awesome to see the wheels turn as he puts things together, forming conclusions and offering solutions.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,578,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post
What I've learned is that there are no words to explain it, but once you experience it, you know just what I mean. To experience life as an adult but through the eyes of a child is one of life's greatest blessings. I can honestly say that everything in my life is better for having a child. There is no other love like it.

Sigh.
This cracks me up because I remember seeing and hearing this a lot from new moms and old moms alike back when I was first having kids 20 and 14 years ago, and every time I did, I was just like, "yeah, little over the top, not really relating to that feeling at all. No sunshines and rainbows over here." I know I'm weird like that though, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting