Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:21 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times

Advertisements

I see this a lot at the health clubs kid care - moms dropping off kids who are clearly ill. Can't miss spin class or yoga ya know.

I feel terrible when my kid is sick - I have one shelf in the pantry devoted to "sick supplies", lol. Ginger ale, 7up, saltines, clear broth soups, pudding cups, etc. Plus meds and with lotion tissues. I put her in her pjs, get her set up with a straw cup of ginger ale and let her lie on the couch with her head in my lap watching tv.

I can't wrap my mind around taking a sick kid out if you don't have to.

One me when I was getting my nails done - a child told her mother several times hat she didn't feel well. I think maybe from the smell. When she first began telling her mom, the mother hadn't started her mani-pedi yet. The ladies working there seemed to feel bad for the child and offered to reschedule. The mom said that kid would be fine. While the mom was getting her pedi, the kid toldher a couple more times that she didn't feel well. The mom was really getting annoyed. Finally she left - AFTER her daughter threw up all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 06:54 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Eh. If a kid has the flu or a stomach virus, definitely stay home. A cold/runny nose/cough? The world can't stop for that. I have had to take sick kids to the grocery store; if you're the only adult home and you need food/toilet paper/medicine/whatever, what other option do you really have? I also would not cancel a vacation or miss a flight because my kid was coughing or had a mild fever. Something serious, of course, but a sore throat/100-degree fever thing? Nah.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Eh. If a kid has the flu or a stomach virus, definitely stay home. A cold/runny nose/cough? The world can't stop for that. I have had to take sick kids to the grocery store; if you're the only adult home and you need food/toilet paper/medicine/whatever, what other option do you really have? I also would not cancel a vacation or miss a flight because my kid was coughing or had a mild fever. Something serious, of course, but a sore throat/100-degree fever thing? Nah.
People really wait until they are all the way out of toilet paper, food and medicine before getting more?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:53 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
People really wait until they are all the way out of toilet paper, food and medicine before getting more?
Yep...all the time.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:00 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
I never let our house get below a couple rolls before we restock. But that's just me.

As for taking sick kids out in public, I would say "it depends." As previously mentioned, having a kid fall ill while out and about is a different situation. I can see a parent taking their sick kid to Target; after all, they may need to go there to pick up the medicine that had just been prescribed by the pediatrician.

As for plane flights . . . well, let's see, you can have the entire family stay home and lose several thousand dollars in non-refundable plane tickets and miss seeing the extended family at the one time a year they're all gathered together at Grandma's house, or you can load up the kid on Tylenol and take the trip. Personally, if it's my kid and it's something not severe enough to require a trip to the doctor, then sorry but we're going.

Now, as for dragging the sick kid into Starbucks for your daily latte fix, that's just unconscionable. Find a drive-thru, or do without.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:09 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
It's all about the scale but there's a whole lot of "do as I say, not as I do" in this thread. So it's bad to take your sick kid on a long planned, expensive and non-refundable vacation but ok to take them to the grocery store or Target. Frankly, I don't care where you are taking them, you are exposing me and my kid to your sick kid and their germs either way. I can't stop you but don't pat yourself on the back thinking that you're so much better than the people you are criticizing.

And btw I'm a single mom so I'm always the only adult who has to juggle things with a sick kid. That's when I call a friend or family member to do a grocery store run for me, or I use a delivery service. For married people who just have to wait until their spouse can run the errand or who can stay with the kids while they go out, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy about how you *need* to take your sick kid into public places.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Yep...all the time.

This one strikes me as a no brainer. Once you wind up in this situation where you HAVE to bring a sick kid to the store. Then you say to yourself, self, I don't think I want that to happen again. Poor kid. If I were smart, I would manage my shopping better. Problem solved.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:17 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
This one strikes me as a no brainer. Once you wind up in this situation where you HAVE to bring a sick kid to the store. Then you say to yourself, self, I don't think I want that to happen again. Poor kid. If I were smart, I would manage my shopping better. Problem solved.
Seriously...now you are telling people how to shop. What about people who need to wait for a pay check to be able to shop? What about the kid having been home for days and you are now running out of all the staples in your house? What about when the doctor calls in meds, or you run out of tylenol for the sick kid? Do you keep all possible medications on hand at all times?

Not everyone shops at costco

Old 01-05-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Seriously...now you are telling people how to shop.
No I am not. I don't care what anyone else does. I was replying a solution to this horrible first world problem of HAVING to take their sick kids to the store. I don't live under any illusions that I can count on other people to live such that my kids aren't exposed to other people's illness because they can't bother to think. People will do what they do.

Quote:
What about people who need to wait for a pay check to be able to shop?
Ynab. But that is not what we were discussing.

Quote:
What about the kid having been home for days and you are now running out of all the staples in your house? What about when the doctor calls in meds, or you run out of tylenol for the sick kid? Do you keep all possible medications on hand at all times?

Not everyone shops at costco
You are the single most easily offended, sensitive person I have ever encountered on the net. And that is saying something. Can you REALLY not see any other solutions to these issues besides dragging your sick kid to the store? As I said, I don't care what other people do. But the whole POOOR MEEEEEEE IMMMM AAA POOOOORRRR MOOOOOM makes me sick.

Last edited by somebodynew; 01-05-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 10:14 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
I feel so very sorry for the kids whose parents put themselves in front of their child's well being. Take the poor child home and put them to bed, or take them to the hospital if they're that sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting