Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I never let our house get below a couple rolls before we restock. But that's just me.

As for taking sick kids out in public, I would say "it depends." As previously mentioned, having a kid fall ill while out and about is a different situation. I can see a parent taking their sick kid to Target; after all, they may need to go there to pick up the medicine that had just been prescribed by the pediatrician.

As for plane flights . . . well, let's see, you can have the entire family stay home and lose several thousand dollars in non-refundable plane tickets and miss seeing the extended family at the one time a year they're all gathered together at Grandma's house, or you can load up the kid on Tylenol and take the trip. Personally, if it's my kid and it's something not severe enough to require a trip to the doctor, then sorry but we're going.

Now, as for dragging the sick kid into Starbucks for your daily latte fix, that's just unconscionable. Find a drive-thru, or do without.
LMAO....did you tell your family about the secret gift you're bring them. My sister does this. She loads her kids up on cold meds and Advil then drops them off for the weekend to play with mine. I don't realize they are ill until all the meds wear off later and they have a fever and look miserable. It's thrilling. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
LMAO....did you tell your family about the secret gift you're bring them. My sister does this. She loads her kids up on cold meds and Advil then drops them off for the weekend to play with mine. I don't realize they are ill until all the meds wear off later and they have a fever and look miserable. It's thrilling. lol
Start sending your sis the doc co-pay bills after her sick kids have been visiting. THAT is sharing.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Start sending your sis the doc co-pay bills after her sick kids have been visiting. THAT is sharing.
Good idea! She's one to think the "show must go on" and assumes we all share her sentiment. I of course think she just needs a break from her kids and it's all worth it in the end.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Good idea! She's one to think the "show must go on" and assumes we all share her sentiment. I of course think she just needs a break from her kids and it's all worth it in the end.
No skin off HER nose if your kids get sick. Hers already are!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No I am not. I don't care what anyone else does. I was replying a solution to this horrible first world problem of HAVING to take their sick kids to the store. I don't live under any illusions that I can count on other people to live such that my kids aren't exposed to other people's illness because they can't bother to think. People will do what they do.

Ynab. But that is not what we were discussing.

You are the single most easily offended, sensitive person I have ever encountered on the net. And that is saying something. Can you REALLY not see any other solutions to these issues besides dragging your sick kid to the store? As I said, I don't care what other people do. But the whole POOOR MEEEEEEE IMMMM AAA POOOOORRRR MOOOOOM makes me sick.
Far from offended, I find you amusing...but not in the good way.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Far from offended, I find you amusing...but not in the good way.
Too bad you have such a hard time understanding what you read.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
This really irks me. This kid of one of my social media friends has been sick going on three weeks now and they've spent the entire Christmas break traveling. She has been hospitalized twice (not for long), had chest x-rays and been on a few different types of medication; still not well. All the while they have traveled to the other side of the state, back home, then to another state by plane, then back home, then to a border state and back home. I understand being disappointed that your kid getting sick puts a damper on your holiday plans, but geez, if they had just skipped the first trip and let the kid rest, she likely would have gotten well and they could have continued with their rest of their plans!

This isn't the only instance I've observed either. There have been several times I've seen sick kids out for unnecessary reasons. I was shopping for clothes once and this kid around 9/10 was so sick she laid down on the bottom of an end cap, eyes closed, face all puffy, while her mom shopped!!!

I understand the disappointment of having to cancel or reschedule, but I don't understand why you would force your kids to go out in the world when they are not feeling well. It just seems like such an awful thing to do. Okay rant over .
I feel sorry for these kids.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:57 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Seriously...now you are telling people how to shop. What about people who need to wait for a pay check to be able to shop? What about the kid having been home for days and you are now running out of all the staples in your house? What about when the doctor calls in meds, or you run out of tylenol for the sick kid? Do you keep all possible medications on hand at all times?

Not everyone shops at costco
Hmmm, I do try to keep the usual OTC meds on hand at all times, fever reducer/pain reliever, pepto, immodium, emetrol, cough cold stuff. Also never run out of TP because you know that's a pretty necessary item and who knows when you'll be stuck at home due to a bad storm or something, so I always have a nice stockpile of that if nothing else! The 5 P's of success!
As for the other, maybe try using a drive thru pharmacy, or wait to pick up when you get a text or call from the rx that your meds are ready? (technology is a wonderful thing) What about getting help from your SO, family, friends, neighbors?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Hmmm, I do try to keep the usual OTC meds on hand at all times, fever reducer/pain reliever, pepto, immodium, emetrol, cough cold stuff. Also never run out of TP because you know that's a pretty necessary item and who knows when you'll be stuck at home due to a bad storm or something, so I always have a nice stockpile of that if nothing else! The 5 P's of success!
As for the other, maybe try using a drive thru pharmacy, or wait to pick up when you get a text or call from the rx that your meds are ready? (technology is a wonderful thing) What about getting help from your SO, family, friends, neighbors?
I will never forget the stink eye I got from the pharmacist when I went in for a script without my kid. She had ASSUMED I left my kid in the car alone instead of with a trusted friend. Sheesh.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:29 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
I guess I don't see it as a mirtal sin to expose other people to a kid with a cold. There are germs in the world. If you are that concerned about being exposed to a sniffle or a scratchy throat, then it's probably best to use the drive thrus and just stay home all winter long. A very sick child should stay home, but lingering coughs, runny noses, etc, are just par for the course in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting