Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well whatever, I just think it's strange to kiss an infant on the lips, germs/disease or not.

IMO, kissing on the lips is a romantic thing reserved for someone you have a relationship with. That's just me. You can all smootch away on the lips of a baby if it makes you happy lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
I find the thought of adults kissing babies on the lips utterly disgusting and wrong. Mostly for health reasons. Let the kid develop and decide wether they want to be kissed or not. I'm sure they will appreciate not being exposed to any a-symptomatic HSV floating around.
I completely agree with both of these opinions. I consider myself fortunate that I am one of the few *without* HSV of any type.

A baby's immune system is slow to develop, that's why honey carries a warning not to feed to infants under 1 year of age. (Botulism occurs naturally in the environment. Unlike most other foodstuffs grown/produced outside, honey could conceivably be consumed by an infant with no teeth. While older children and adults who are not otherwise immunocompromised can handle the small amount with no trouble, a very young infant cannot.)

After they are a year old let 'em crawl in the dirt, but before then they need to be protected.

I think people who know that they have a communicable disease and who interact with others in a way that can spread that disease are acting in a criminally negligent manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 PM

6,621 posts, read 6,557,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I completely agree with both of these opinions. I consider myself fortunate that I am one of the few *without* HSV of any type.

A baby's immune system is slow to develop, that's why honey carries a warning not to feed to infants under 1 year of age. (Botulism occurs naturally in the environment. Unlike most other foodstuffs grown/produced outside, honey could conceivably be consumed by an infant with no teeth. While older children and adults who are not otherwise immunocompromised can handle the small amount with no trouble, a very young infant cannot.)

After they are a year old let 'em crawl in the dirt, but before then they need to be protected.

I think people who know that they have a communicable disease and who interact with others in a way that can spread that disease are acting in a criminally negligent manner.

Actually, they'd probably be less apt to get sick if the crawled in the dirt. lol

Old 01-11-2016, 09:43 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,778,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Actually, they'd probably be less apt to get sick if the crawled in the dirt. lol
Yep!!

Erma Bombek (I loved her!!) wrote something that I've always remembered and loved:

Quote:
Pacifier
• 1st baby: If the pacifier falls on the floor, you put it away until you can go home and wash and boil it.
• 2nd baby: When the pacifier falls on the floor, you squirt it off with some juice from the baby’s bottle.
• 3rd baby: You wipe it off on your shirt and pop it back in.
I always let my kids play in the sandbox and grass and parks and playsets. The second and third kids had to keep up with their older brothers, so as soon as they could crawl, they were taking off after them through grass, sand, etc. That meant they got very dirty at a young age (because we had outdoor time every day). The dirtier they were, the happier they were.

Different families show affection in different ways. Much of it is cultural.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
people with herpes have no business kissing anything imo

Educate yourself.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:10 PM

1,038 posts, read 904,035 times
It doesn't matter if they kiss them on the lips or forehead

the transmission likely occurs through the breath of the person kissing

the moist gobules they breathe on the baby rather than the moist gobules they leave on its skin

Ive heard of babies being blinded by kisses on the forehead from Herpes sufferers, and from coming from the birth canal of one.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 PM

1,038 posts, read 904,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Educate yourself.

on what?

how easy it is to transmit a highly infectious disease to a newborn via slobbering on it?

I already know thanks.

I'd like to see what you would do if someone with an active cold sore wanted to kiss YOUR newborn

You wouldn't risk it either

Old 01-12-2016, 12:56 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,809,691 times
I don't have children, so I don't know if I would kiss them on the mouth. I know that my mom and grandma kissed me on the mouth when I was a kid and I had no problem with it. I don't see that it's a big deal unless you're sick.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:27 AM

797 posts, read 1,753,654 times
I never understood why people wanted to kiss babies... I mean, I understand giving your OWN baby a kiss on the forehead or kiss their little hands when theyre a newborn.... but think about it.. in any other circumstance is it OK to go up and kiss a person? without their consent? no. so why do we (society) think it's OK to do to babies? I will never understand... So sad for this family..

Old 01-12-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
on what?

how easy it is to transmit a highly infectious disease to a newborn via slobbering on it?

I already know thanks.

I'd like to see what you would do if someone with an active cold sore wanted to kiss YOUR newborn

You wouldn't risk it either
On herpes.

You DID NOT say someone with an active cold sore. You said, "anyone with herpes."

Old 01-12-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post
I never understood why people wanted to kiss babies... I mean, I understand giving your OWN baby a kiss on the forehead or kiss their little hands when theyre a newborn.... but think about it.. in any other circumstance is it OK to go up and kiss a person? without their consent? no. so why do we (society) think it's OK to do to babies? I will never understand... So sad for this family..
Without consent of parents? Heavens no. With consent? Muah! Babies are adorable little creatures and its totally normal to want to kiss and snuggle and hold them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting