Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:13 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,566,077 times

Advertisements

Here's the sad proof:
A Single Kiss Costs 24-Day-Old Baby Her Life

A newborn baby died just 24 days after she came into contact with someone with a cold sore and contracted the herpes simplex virus while she was still in the hospital.

My Father in Law used to kiss our infant and toddler son's lips and I cringed when he did it. My husband and I didn't even kiss our kids on the lips. It is just a very simple way not to spread germs. Kiss them on the cheeks or forehead instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 AM

16,587 posts, read 10,701,397 times
I can't even imagine the heartbreak those parents must be facing.

My father-in-law kisses my wife on the lips. Nothing more than a quick peck, ever. But still, I don't much care for it. I refuse to kiss my kids on the lips, even though my seven-year-old daughter thinks the idea is hilarious and tries to get me to do it. My wife doesn't tend to kiss the kids on the lips either, though sometimes our girl will pour on the cuteness enough to get her to do it.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,172,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Here's the sad proof:

A newborn baby died just 24 days after she came into contact with someone with a cold sore and contracted the herpes simplex virus while she was still in the hospital.

My Father in Law used to kiss our infant and toddler son's lips and I cringed when he did it. My husband and I didn't even kiss our kids on the lips. It is just a very simple way not to spread germs. Kiss them on the cheeks or forehead instead.
I kiss both my kids on the lips, as does my wife. I kissed both my parents on the lips well into my teens. When I started not to feel comfortable, I stopped. If my kids ever feel uncomfortable about it, it will not hurt me should they choose to stop. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

As for this instance, its very sad, but also was preventable. The Herpes virus is only communicable during an outbreak, and the person should have seen the sore or sores on their mouth and known better. I think it was more likely that this infant contracted the virus in the hospital due to poor medical care rather than an unknown person having close enough contact with the baby to transfer the virus without the parents or other caregivers seeming the sores on the person's mouth. That is obviously just a guess, but I find it more plausible than a kiss from an infected stranger.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,926,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I kiss both my kids on the lips, as does my wife. I kissed both my parents on the lips well into my teens. When I started not to feel comfortable, I stopped. If my kids ever feel uncomfortable about it, it will not hurt me should they choose to stop. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

As for this instance, its very sad, but also was preventable. The Herpes virus is only communicable during an outbreak, and the person should have seen the sore or sores on their mouth and known better. I think it was more likely that this infant contracted the virus in the hospital due to poor medical care rather than an unknown person having close enough contact with the baby to transfer the virus without the parents or other caregivers seeming the sores on the person's mouth. That is obviously just a guess, but I find it more plausible than a kiss from an infected stranger.
I agree, the baby probably caught the virus in the hospital and not from a stranger's mouth.

As far as kissing babies, I kissed my own babies on the lips, the cheeks, the forehead, the nose, the hands, the feet, the little tummy button. When they were toddlers, they would ask for a kiss, an Eskimo kiss (rubbing noses) and a butterfly kiss (eyelashes) before bed. I always rub noses with my baby nephew, assuming I don't have a cold. My kids kiss him on the cheek. It's just normal to show a baby affection.

My parents never kissed my kids. My dad has dementia now and he very enthusiastically kisses everyone now, on the cheek, the forehead, in the hair, on the neck or the hand. I wonder if he always wanted to be more affectionate but didn't feel like he could.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:32 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,310,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Here's the sad proof:

Hate to break it to you but you are still spreading germs that way.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:38 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,834,104 times
I always kissed my son on the lips. The worst thing that ever happened was I got to wipe the drool off my lips afterward.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times
2 months.
Wrap 'em in bubble wrap and stay home for 2 months.
Breast milk breast milk breast milk (if you can).

Immune system is deficient for first 2-3 months of life.

That being said, this was a freak thing.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:47 PM

1,038 posts, read 905,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
2 months.

people with herpes have no business kissing anything imo

Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
2 months.

You're a doctor, right? This isn't the first case I've heard of. Is it really all that uncommon? I've also heard that it's not standard procedure to warn parents about the herpes simplex virus. Can you give us the scoop?

I'm terrified of newborns because they're so fragile. I don't kiss them and I wash my hands obsessively whenever I'm around them. I prefer not to hold them too. Once they're past that danger zone, I loosen up a lot. I can only imagine how paranoid I'd be with my own kid.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:20 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,266,429 times
I remember reading about another baby that died in the same way and if I remember right, it said in the article that is only deadly if the parent is passing on a newly acquired case of herpes, does anyone know if that's true?

I hadn't planned on kissing mine on the lips, was quite against it actually, but once she was born it just felt natural to kiss her on the lips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting