Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 66,858 times

Advertisements

Hello, I need some advice on what to do. My dad told me that as soon as I turn 18 I will have to leave. I'm currently 17, so I have less than a year to prepare. I'll turn 18 the beginning of my senior year of high school. I've been trying to get a job so I'll have some money saved up but no one is hiring.

What can I do when the day actually comes that I have to leave? If I don't have any money and I don't even have a car where do I go or what do I do? I don't have any family or friends to take me in so I can atleast finish high school or find a job. I guess find a shelter or something? Hitch hike somewhere? I have absolutely no idea what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 06:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I believe as long as you are still enrolled in high school your parents cannot kick you out, as that would be child abandonment. You need to talk to a school counselor, states may vary.

It boggles my mind that a parent would say that.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:06 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Try talking to the councilor at your school. They will ggenerally help you.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Maybe start looking at why you are going to be kicked out at 18, are there reasons why your parents are being that drastic? If not, then, start looking for work. Apply for college, and live on student loans, you can make it work. You will have to live with roomates, in a cheap place, take a bus to work, until you save money for a car, or you will live in a homeless shelter, and work and save up money. Are you rude. doing badly in school? Doing drugs? Just asking...There is also the option of the military, you can go in as soon as you graduate, even at 17, for basic training. Then, no worries about a job, or place to live. There is also Job Corps, you need to start the application now. They give you training, and a place to live.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-06-2010 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-06-2010, 06:28 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Apply for college, and live on student loans, you can make it work.
While he can apply for college, no one will give student loans to a high school senior....

Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I believe as long as you are still enrolled in high school your parents cannot kick you out, as that would be child abandonment. You need to talk to a school counselor, states may vary.

It boggles my mind that a parent would say that.
Boggles my mind too!
There's more to this story...

Old 11-06-2010, 06:42 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
My parents told me I had to leave at 18 or pay them rent. I moved out way before that day came.

I had a part-time job so I took more hours, I was working as many as 60 hours a week to make my rent. I graduated.

My parents have missed out on most of my life since then and haven't even met one of my kids. Funny thing is I'm the only one that ever did anything they could be proud of with my life.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:03 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Maybe start looking at why you are going to be kicked out at 18, are there reasons why your parents are being that drastic? If not, then, start looking for work. Apply for college, and live on student loans, you can make it work. You will have to live with roomates, in a cheap place, take a bus to work, until you save money for a car, or you will live in a homeless shelter, and work and save up money. Are you rude. doing badly in school? Doing drugs? Just asking...There is also the option of the military, you can go in as soon as you graduate, even at 17, for basic training. Then, no worries about a job, or place to live. There is also Job Corps, you need to start the application now. They give you training, and a place to live.
You can actually join the military before you graduate. You get a signing bonus that is usually enough to buy a used car. I don't know if you get the bonus before basic training, but I believe that you do. I think you have to pass your physical and get all your enlistment paperwork done, but it is one way to get a foothold on your future. Train for an interesting assignment that will allow you to transition easily to civilian life when you start using your GI bill for college.

Your dad may be just barely holding things together until you turn 18. It may be better for all of you in the long run for you to be able to support yourself so that he can get his life together. One day you will know the whole story, more than likely. And if not, then at least he is giving you advance notice. Better to have some time to prepare rather than telling you on your birthday.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 66,858 times
@jasper12

I don't think it's really because of me, to be honest. My parents are just like that. One day they might be like "you have to make sure you do something good with your life so you don't end up like me. Make sure you graduate high school." etc. But then the next day they might be like "You're stupid, I swear I'm raising an idiot." or they might laugh if I bring up college. Their reactions are just based on their moods, I guess or whatever they feel like saying at the time. Maybe I'm like a love/hate thing, I don't know. Anyway, my dad did say "when you turn 18 you're gone", but just yesterday he said "I want you to make sure you do something good with your life." I just want to be prepared in case I do have to leave when I'm 18.

@chicagojlo

Sounds like what I may end up doing. I'm not sure I want my parents in my life after I leave and can support myself. Congrats on making the best of your situation.

@lhpartridge

I've looked into the military, I'll see what happens with that. I am glad he brought up the possibilty of me getting kicked out now, it does give me more time to prepare.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Well, good luck to you. We don't all live with great parents. I was living on my own when I was 15, for various reasons. The strong survive, and thrive. Just stay focused on what you want out of life. Look at military, and job corps, those are the best options, military being the first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting