Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I say something genuine...you say something loaded and sarcastic. Really, I am happy for anyone who makes a major parenting decision and feels confident and happy about that decision. Parenting is so hard. I second guess 97% of the decisions I make. I am very happy for people who feel content and confident about their parenting decisions. Not loaded, not sarcastic.
Hard to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Hard to tell.
That's because the posts are filled with back handed compliments and passive aggressive nastiness. Don't sweat it, some people can't be genuine even if their lives genuinely depended on it.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Hard to tell.
See this, and the next post is why I think you all (in your club) are foaming at the mouths to attack. Just read things at face value and stop reading so much into them. I am very clear when I am insulting someone. You don't know me, I get that. You have preconceived notions about me. I get that too. But I am a straight shooter...which sometimes gets me in trouble. I am rarely passive aggressive (and if I am its with my husband) and never backhanded...unless I am thanking you for telling me I am an idiot. Its pretty obvious.

Anyways, best of luck to you on your parenting adventures.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
See this, and the next post is why I think you all (in your club) are foaming at the mouths to attack. Just read things at face value and stop reading so much into them. I am very clear when I am insulting someone. You don't know me, I get that. You have preconceived notions about me. I get that too. But I am a straight shooter...which sometimes gets me in trouble. I am rarely passive aggressive (and if I am its with my husband) and never backhanded...unless I am thanking you for telling me I am an idiot. Its pretty obvious.

Anyways, best of luck to you on your parenting adventures.
No, it means it's hard to tell, for exactly the reasons that lkb stated. I "attacked" because you insulted me. period. Nothing more to it.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
No, it means it's hard to tell, for exactly the reasons that lkb stated. I "attacked" because you insulted me. period. Nothing more to it.
Well you read my post in a way that felt like an attack. I promise, I never attacked you.

Again, best of luck

Old 02-18-2016, 09:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Well you read my post in a way that felt like an attack. I promise, I never attacked you.

Again, best of luck
You seem to be "misunderstood" (according to you) frequently lately, and by numerous people. I was taught that if that happened, the thing was to see what the constant was in the equation. Perhaps it's time to consider a good hard look in the mirror.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You seem to be "misunderstood" (according to you) frequently lately, and by numerous people. I was taught that if that happened, the thing was to see what the constant was in the equation. Perhaps it's time to consider a good hard look in the mirror.
or it could be....well....you know.

Power in numbers, right?

Old 02-18-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
or it could be....well....you know.

Power in numbers, right?
No, I don't know. I've seen a good number of folks either disagree with you or be outright offended by your statements. And not just on this thread. Anyone who dares have a dissenting opinion is now a "mean girl"? I find that mildly amusing since you are the one calling everyone else a "lesser" parent and not the other way around. Exactly what is "mean" about anyone else's comments that justify you concocting some sort of "mean girl's club"?

Old 02-18-2016, 09:25 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I see it this way. Families need to prioritize and their kids, the kids they brought into this world, the kids that didn't ask to be born into this family to these parents - those kids' needs and best interests need to be put FIRST by parents acting as a team. This doesn't mean that the parents' needs aren't extremely important. It just means that the kids' needs take precedent.

And of course, those needs differ widely among families. That's why there's no black or white answer to the idea of "having it all." Some people do better at "having it all" than others, for various reasons. And the very definition of "having it all" is subjective.

And some people live in situations and live lifestyles that would make others cringe and they don't care - because in their opinion they DO have it all.

I am a Christian, so these verses from Philippians 4 mean a lot to me:
While I appreciate your post, I don't think it relates to my post.

My post is coming from someone who is fed up with the guilt tripping from some women and the castigation by some men because a women chooses to work outside the home. There are many women who work outside of the home not because they want to live like royalty but because they have to. Or there are some women who work because they don't want their skills to diminish. There are others who work because they want the flexibility that a dual earning household provides. Some are all of the above. This is probably like the tenth topic I've seen on C-D about the age old "working parent v. stay at home parent". In real life, I don't really care about a woman's choice that she makes for her family. I feel the same way about that online. But I don't want to hear any lectures about being such a bad parent because my children attended daycare for ten hours. My husband shouldn't feel bad because he's not singly making the same amount of income as a dual earner household like that poster. In fact, no one should feel anything about other people if the kids aren't being abused and they're happy.

The primal need for my need to work IS to take care of my kids' needs.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
While I appreciate your post, I don't think it relates to my post.

My post is coming from someone who is fed up with the guilt tripping from some women and the castigation by some men because a women chooses to work outside the home. There are many women who work outside of the home not because they want to live like royalty but because they have to. Or there are some women who work because they don't want their skills to diminish. There are others who work because they want the flexibility that a dual earning household provides. Some are all of the above. This is probably like the tenth topic I've seen on C-D about the age old "working parent v. stay at home parent". In real life, I don't really care about a woman's choice that she makes for her family. I feel the same way about that online. But I don't want to hear any lectures about being such a bad parent because my children attended daycare for ten hours. My husband shouldn't feel bad because he's not singly making the same amount of income as a dual earner household like that poster. In fact, no one should feel anything about other people if the kids aren't being abused and they're happy.

The primal need for my need to work IS to take care of my kids' needs.
Careful. You're wandering into "mean girl" territory with that kind of talk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting