Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 05:44 PM

4,544 posts, read 12,416,612 times

Advertisements

Pyewackette said not needing to think about the oldest moving to a separate room until she's at least twelve. I disagree because many girls start puberty much earlier than that. I've seen 10 (and 9) year old girls who have started to develop. You are less than 24 months away from that day.

Puberty is coming. And much earlier than you think.

But overall, I would suggest asking the girls what they think, but make it clear that it is still the decision of the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 04:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think you should listen to your girlfriend. Since your older daughter is the oldest, she needs her own room.
Your child will adjust, I doubt she'll be woken up, the other lil girl can learn to occupy herself quietly.

I'm more concerned about your preferential treatment of your daughters over your girlfriends daughter. Long term that is very detrimental to the child...and yours and your girlfriends relationship...not to mention how modeling this is detrimental to all 3 girls. You might want to decide you need to be proactive in loving this lil one..a year and a half is a long time to be treated "less than" Step up
Sorry, I could have put this in a nicer way, you probably don't intend to come across as though you feel preferential to your bio girls, but imo you are doing so.

Give some thought to how you can integrate all 3 in your lives. And are you intending this living together to become "marriage" and truly a blended family....if so, blend a bit more. Less "my" and more "our" is essential imo...for the sake of those 3 lil girls.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:05 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,123,489 times
I don't think the oldest "needs" her own room. There are 3 girls in this family, all will hit puberty at some point and not all of them are going to have their own room. Being born first shouldn't automatically give you dibs for life on a separate bedroom. And while it's nice of the girlfriend to think of the older girl I think that is likely just an added benefit - the primary one being that she never has to get her younger daughter to sleep alone. Ask the girls. I would lean toward keeping the siblings together because it's great that the children all get alone time with their parent. I think it's important to blend the families as much as possible but it's a hard situation for kids. They didn't pick this new person to love and I don't think it's realistic to expect them all to treat a stepparent exactly the same as their own parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting