Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:25 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You lost me at "stickers on her sticker chart."

A token economy actually makes some behaviors worse, and the fact that she talked back to you by asking what about YOUR homework shows that your methods may not be getting the desired outcomes.

We live in a token economy. I go to work to get electronic tokens in my bank. Without those, I'm outta here.

I'm getting the desired outcome. She's not a gullible follower who jumps off a bridge just because mom tells her to. Asking about my homework was a completely legitimate question. If I preach "work before play", you better believe I better follow "work before play" in my own life.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:33 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
For goodness sakes. Personal property within a household is not the only boundary that exists! You are a smart guy who usually has some pretty good posts that I agree with, please stop playing dumb like "oh my gosh you have one different rule than we do you must not have any rules omg omg!" Some households do personal property boundaries, and some households do communal property. BOTH ARE OKAY. Just like some spouses have separate bank accounts and some have joint. Get over it.
OK. You are probably right here and I was probably wrong about your approach. Nevermind what I said.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
OK. You are probably right here and I was probably wrong about your approach. Nevermind what I said.

Lol thanks, no problem

Old 04-13-2016, 11:43 AM

634 posts, read 708,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was allowed in any part of the house and allowed to touch anything I wanted. As are my children. Anything dangerous is in a safe or locked up.

Don't care.

Btw, my son is kind and respectful and asks permission for everything.
Seriously, me too. My kids can go into my closet, my room, my purse, etc. Anything I don't want my kids to have access to is in the safe. Anyone who thinks a kid can't discern the difference between their home and school is being obtuse. Being comfortable in their own home does not mean they won't learn boundaries.

There is one place in the home they can't go into without permission and that is the pantry. And guess what? They have no problems abiding by this rule. Imagine.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Oh that's easy. I tell them that their Christmas presents are in the attic, and that if they peek, I'll just return them to the store. If they insist on peeking, Christmas is now a gift card affair. Done.
What kind of punishment is that? As a kid I would much prefer it because I could get exactly what I wanted. Maybe if you cut it by 75%. You certainly are anything but a warden...no fears there.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
We live in a token economy. I go to work to get electronic tokens in my bank. Without those, I'm outta here.

I'm getting the desired outcome. She's not a gullible follower who jumps off a bridge just because mom tells her to. Asking about my homework was a completely legitimate question. If I preach "work before play", you better believe I better follow "work before play" in my own life.
It's amusing that you're SO CERTAIN you're getting the desired outcome now, even though there are many options between what you're doing and "jumping off a bridge."

And when your daughter figures out that she just doesn't care about stickers and doesn't want to go through the effort required?

Which surefire technique will you whip out next?

The OP's problem really isn't privacy anyway. Her child was so in "need" of candy that he was searching in the wayback of her closet, and he saw NO REASON to consider that what he was doing might not be right.

Which column do you file THAT under on your sticker chart?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:29 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
If they aren't allowed to dig around in my closet, then I'm not allowed to dig around in theirs either.

Are you serious right now?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What kind of punishment is that? As a kid I would much prefer it because I could get exactly what I wanted. Maybe if you cut it by 75%. You certainly are anything but a warden...no fears there.

It's not a punishment, it's a consequence. Punishment is when you bring home a note from school that you disrespected school property and you get grounded. You do something bad, and you get punished. But peeking at Christmas presents? You punish your kids for that? Why? I mean really, why? I mean, you want your presents to be a surprise, sure, but so? That's your problem. Not theirs. If they don't want their presents to be a surprise, then I get them a gift card, and it isn't anymore. Christmas presents are about giving something that the other person would like, right?

I don't like surprise presents either. Every birthday, Christmas, and anniversary, I pick out my (reasonably priced) present, buy it, and tell my husband what he got me. It makes me happy. Should he punish me for it? No, of course not.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:31 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
She shot back "but what about you?"

You allow your daughter to talk back to you? Nice.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:32 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was allowed in any part of the house and allowed to touch anything I wanted. As are my children. Anything dangerous is in a safe or locked up.

Don't care.

Btw, my son is kind and respectful and asks permission for everything.
This is us too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting