Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 06:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'll share a different type of prom story.

This happened to my older brother so it was not that many years ago. He asked a girl that he had been dating to the Senior Prom. Everything was perfect until they parked the car and walked to the door of the venue. Joan stopped and hesitantly asked "Where is the prom going to held?" My brother said "Right here. Just like the tickets say '200 West Main Street'". Joan replied "That is the Name of Our City Club. I can't go inside as they do not allow Jews."

Now my brother was stunned. He asked "How could they possible have a place that discriminated against people in our town today? And, how could they have scheduled the prom to be held there without knowing that?"

Joan said that the school officials and prom committee probably knew it and did it deliberately or just did not care. She also pointed out that they tried to hide it by only listing the address on the tickets and not the actual name of the place.

They ended up going to movies.
Since several people commented on my post I wanted to clarify. This happened to my older brother so this was a number of years ago. But, it was still astounding that a public HS would hold the Senior Prom at a venue that discriminated against someone of a different religion during his today (mid 1960s). His date was a senior at that HS and there were other seniors who were also Jewish so the school & prom committee should have been more responsible.

Yes, it true that they probably could have attended but my brother's date felt quite strongly that it was wrong. She also pointed out that the prom committee had clearly tried to hide where it was going to be held by just saying the address & not The Williamsburg Club (fake name).

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-06-2016 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 10:37 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Since several people commented on my post I wanted to clarify. This happened to my older brother so this was a number of years ago. But, it was still astounding that a public HS would hold the Senior Prom at a venue that discriminated against someone of a different religion during his today (mid 1960s). His date was a senior at that HS and there were other seniors who were also Jewish so the school & prom committee should have been more responsible.

Yes, it true that they probably could have attended but my brother's date felt quite strongly that it was wrong. She also pointed out that the prom committee had clearly tried to hide where it was going to be held by just saying the address & not The Williamsburg Club (fake name).
I remember an episode from the 1980s Family Ties sitcom where the conservative Alex is going to an event at a club and his liberal parents discover they don't allow Jews, so it was still an issue then. Yes, I know, it was a sitcom, but they often dealt with real-world issues.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:27 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:

Sadly, though these things were/are astonishing on one level, they're sadly predictable on another.

Racially-segregated proms still persist, for example, incredible as that seems - and they would undoubtedly be a lot more common still if certain locals weren't periodically shamed into dragging themselves into the post-Jim Crow era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segregated_prom

Old 05-12-2016, 11:58 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,754,204 times
Reading all these stories is making me feel pretty low about my prom experience. Yeah I went, by my self no date, no group of friends, didn't have any friends in high school. I came ate dinner hung out for a couple of hours got sick of watching everyone else have fun and left.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Reading all these stories is making me feel pretty low about my prom experience. Yeah I went, by my self no date, no group of friends, didn't have any friends in high school. I came ate dinner hung out for a couple of hours got sick of watching everyone else have fun and left.
Cool. That was pretty courageous of you to go by yourself. I didn't even do that.

Some of us just weren't in our prime in high school, and some who were are still stuck there. It was the highlight of their entire lives.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:32 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Cool. That was pretty courageous of you to go by yourself. I didn't even do that.

Some of us just weren't in our prime in high school, and some who were are still stuck there. It was the highlight of their entire lives.

This is funny that you should say that because I just saw some people that I went to high school with on fb and they still live in the same city and work the same boring job and have never left said city . It goes to show the ones who were popular in high school and they peeked there and that is truly sad .

Old 05-13-2016, 11:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post

I'm sorry for your experience . This kind of makes me glad my mom did not let me go to prom . Family issues .

Old 05-14-2016, 10:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
I went to most dances, but only once with a boyfriend. I didn't even go to the senior prom.

They weren't great or awful, just kind of meh.

I did meet one of my dates parents right before going, and I had no idea his father was a doctor....my gynecologist. Umm...awkward doesn't even begin to describe the situation.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
So prom weekend is done. She looked lovely and had a wonderful time, and I have learned a valuable lesson about not projecting my own issues onto my kids. It worked out just fine.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:22 PM

16,559 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
So prom weekend is done. She looked lovely and had a wonderful time, and I have learned a valuable lesson about not projecting my own issues onto my kids. It worked out just fine.

Easier said than done, isn't it. I'm glad it all worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting