Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 04:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Am I the only one who never kisses family members on the lips?
Not parents, not children, no one (except spouse)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
No, you're not the only one. I never kiss anyone but spouse on the lips. Ick.
I also only kiss my husband on the lips, not my parents, not my siblings, not my kids, and certainly not my students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 09:35 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
There are different familial and cultural views on this so that from this information alone it isn't clear that anything inappropriate is going on - some families kiss children on the lips - even into adulthood - just a quick peck and that is normal for them and that might extend to young kids in general for them without them seeing it as strange - but it is appropriate for you and your child to set boundaries and expect them to be respected. You should let this person know that your family is not comfortable with x where in x you spell it out - kissing on lips with non-family - whatever it is. And then if that is not respected, you definitely have grounds to go somewhere with that. In the mean time, just be alert for signs something 'wrong' is going on.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:30 AM

521 posts, read 292,834 times
OP, you mentioned she is a parent besides being a part time teacher.

How is her situation with her children? does she sound like a good mom? is she a single mom?

There is something really wrong with her

Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Where they French kissing necking or was it just a smack and go , makes a difference

Old 06-19-2016, 04:36 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
I cannot let something like this go. I don't know any parent who would be ok with this. I have asked my friends and all said that a line was crossed.
Probably because you and your friends all come from similar backgrounds.
There are many parents who wouldn't think twice about it. Does this woman kiss her own child on the lips, is it normal and acceptable in her family?
Not to mention a kiss on the lips from a child is usually close mouthed, dry and very brief, no more unsanitary or gross than a kiss on the cheek.
Kids generally think a kiss is simply something people do who like each other, it's the adults who put a sexual spin on it. I'm actually disturbed by how many people seem to eager to turn childish kisses into something dirty and shameful. Not saying that it should be done by virtual strangers, but omg at how many people apparently can see it only as something sexual, disgusting, pedophilia, abuse, etc!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I don't think kids should ever be forced into physical contact with adults against their will. But......for many cultures kissing on the lips is commonly accepted and not taboo or considered sexual in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There are different familial and cultural views on this so that from this information alone it isn't clear that anything inappropriate is going on - some families kiss children on the lips - even into adulthood - just a quick peck and that is normal for them and that might extend to young kids in general for them without them seeing it as strange - but it is appropriate for you and your child to set boundaries and expect them to be respected. You should let this person know that your family is not comfortable with x where in x you spell it out - kissing on lips with non-family - whatever it is. And then if that is not respected, you definitely have grounds to go somewhere with that. In the mean time, just be alert for signs something 'wrong' is going on.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:21 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
This is not normal adult/child behavior in a professional context. Hug. Maybe. Kiss on cheek eerrrr, not so much.

Kissing child with whom is supposed to have professional relationship on lips = pervert.

I am not talking about a kiss from grandma. This is school.

Even if the kid asks, the correct answer is "No, that's not something that is appropriate in this context."

Old 06-19-2016, 10:12 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
All my kid's schools (preschool and elementary) had a rule "no kissing at school". They weren't allowed to kiss their friends...let alone their teachers. My son, who is big on rules, wouldn't let me kiss him good bye at school. "There is no kissing at school mom!". I thought it was so funny.

Remembering that, it makes me think this is even more weird. I mean, if it happened. It sounds like she is a little odd in the first place. Trying too hard. She has low self esteem and is having the kids attention and love compensate. And she might be trying to seem great to get the job as well. I'd be bothered.

I did kiss my kids on the lips when they were little. It didn't seem weird to me or my husband. Maybe our cultural back grounds. It seemed natural. When they were 5 or 6 it faded out mostly. My 9 year old daughter try to kiss me on the lips sometimes and I tell her she is too old but she can kiss my cheek.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:13 PM

403 posts, read 935,973 times
We are a pretty affectionate family. I'm Italian and understand some cultures are more expressive. But I think most adults would understand it is not acceptable in a school setting.
Her son is so cute and seems happy. One of the good ones. But I know nothing else about their family. Which makes it all the more strange that she felt comfortable enough to do that. I would never in a million years even kiss my nephews and nieces on the lips let alone a stranger's child.
I believe this is going to be addressed on Monday. I'm nervous about it. I asked if the school had a policy and the director didn't know and said this is the first time it needed to be addressed. She said this particular teacher is very "affectionate" which is why she is mostly with the younger students who need more comforting. I don't know. I think some comfort is good but whenever I come in to the classroom, she is holding a child, or one is sitting on her lap. Ironically, the main teacher in that classroom quit right around the time she was hired. Wish I could have talked to her before she left.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
I asked if the school had a policy and the director didn't know ...

You have no reason to be nervous. You have not done anything wrong.

Sure. sometimes little kids need comforting, but there are very blurry boundaries at work here. Your son did not need comforting at the time this was happening, and the fact that the director doesn't know if there is a policy that addresses this is alarming.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My 9 year old daughter try to kiss me on the lips sometimes and I tell her she is too old but she can kiss my cheek.
Why? How can one's child show inappropriate affection? I'm not being snarky, I truly don't see why a parent would say anything like that to a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting