Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 01:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Even though people will be all rude about the leash and not the stroller.
Except for when the child has reached whatever magical number strangers have come up with to decide when children should no longer be using a stroller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:28 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't know, I think it can be useful to help them learn not to take off. A stroller wouldn't teach anything.
It worked wonders with our son. He was/is very inquisitive. So if he attempted a dart, I was like oh dear you are not ready for walking about. We will try again in an hour. And he made the connection between the freedom to walk around with the responsibility to stay with me.

Quote:
At lest with a harness, they have some freedom and they learn they can't run. You praise them when they are walking nicely with you and can use it as a cue to check in with their parent or to check in with them.
My own silly bias at play here... But I am picturing a kid taking off and getting pulled up short by their leash! My son was never much into praise. He was always an only the facts kind of kid. Ok I can walk around free if I pay attention to staying with Mom. That's it.

Quote:
Its not like putting a ferrel dog on a leash, they aren't like going wild yanking your arm off. Its to tether you to your kid so you don't get separated. I don't get how there isn't some learning in that.
Ha! You read my mind! I know it is not. And I have seen them used to great effect out and about.

Quote:
I think its fine you didn't use it. I also used a stroller at times but thought it was helpful for my daughter to use one to explore some. My son didn't use one. He wasnt afraid of getting lost and he also wasnt too much of a darter...and his game with it ruined the use for him.

Well at 9 and 10 my kids are really good at not running off, running into roads or in the parking lot. They are also able to explore an area without getting lost or freaking out. So I figure it all worked out fine for us.
Maybe it is part of living in a rural area. Exploration was done in the wild, not at places like shopping malls or other places where devices are more important. It also might be that I hate shopping more than any other activity, so we kept it short and... relatively sweet.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:29 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The child is strapped in and being pushed around. What difference does it make why? You are way too caught up in semantics and appearances.
Cuz. Moms suck and we are all meanies.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I wonder if this tether disapproval is related to this culture in much of the developed western world (especially the US) that making things hard on yourself is somehow inherently virtuous. I think we all know that person who is constantly almost bragging about how busy and overworked and overworked they are.

I also think parents tend to take a lot of credit for the kid's natural inclinations. Like, if your kid is an early talker, or sleeps through the night right away, or is empathetic, that's proof you're a better parent than others, when the truth is a) it's not a contest and b) many things come down largely the kid's inborn traits. Like, your parenting techniques were exemplary because your toddler didn't dart off? Well, maybe, maybe not.
Here we go, here comes the blame America crowd

Old 07-06-2016, 02:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It worked wonders with our son. He was/is very inquisitive. So if he attempted a dart, I was like oh dear you are not ready for walking about. We will try again in an hour. And he made the connection between the freedom to walk around with the responsibility to stay with me.

My own silly bias at play here... But I am picturing a kid taking off and getting pulled up short by their leash! My son was never much into praise. He was always an only the facts kind of kid. Ok I can walk around free if I pay attention to staying with Mom. That's it.

Ha! You read my mind! I know it is not. And I have seen them used to great effect out and about.

Maybe it is part of living in a rural area. Exploration was done in the wild, not at places like shopping malls or other places where devices are more important. It also might be that I hate shopping more than any other activity, so we kept it short and... relatively sweet.
My son did the run and be pulled short by the leash...for fun. He thought it was a riot. So we didn't use it for him. My daughter never did that. They get the point pretty fast. My son loves vestibular input so running and flinging back was right up his ally.

I think rural v. urban has a lot to do with it. When the kids were little, we lived in one of the largest cities in the country. We traveled a ton, usually to other big cities (via big airports). In these places, if a kid darts (or gets distracted or stays back), you can lose sight of them in the crowd in a matter of a second. I have lived in rural places and I doubt I would have found a use for it there. Also, I live in a small city and I doubt I would even use one here. There isn't any time we are really in a place so crowded that I could lose sight of a little one quickly.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Seriously? Are we really nearly 20 pages into arguing about kid leashes?

There is nothing inherently right or wrong about using a harness or leash or whatever you want to call it.

Don't want to use one for whatever reason? Then don't.
Want to use one for whatever reason? Than do.

But for the love of Pete stop whinging about it one way or the other. No one has the moral high ground here. Holy first world problems.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:23 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Seriously? Are we really nearly 20 pages into arguing about kid leashes?

There is nothing inherently right or wrong about using a harness or leash or whatever you want to call it.

Don't want to use one for whatever reason? Then don't.
Want to use one for whatever reason? Than do.

But for the love of Pete stop whinging about it one way or the other. No one has the moral high ground here. Holy first world problems.
Thanks for adding to the thread count. Thanks for your opinion

Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
I have never heard of using a stroller to restrain a child. That sounds cruel and unusual.
OK.

Clearly some people on this very thread think that strollers can be used for that purpose.

Strollers, harnesses, back packs, front packs, slings - parents have a wide range of tools to choose from when it comes to transporting or walking around with small kids.

Hey, I also used our stroller for a shopping cart sometimes, especially with my girls, since they were not at all prone to wander or dart off, and walked alongside me with no problem - and with no harness. But that boy - oh my goodness!

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Good Schools, I can't help but wonder what you are picturing when you think of a child being "restrained" in a stroller or with a harness.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I think the harness is an excellent idea to keep the kids from harm. I'm surprised they're not more popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting