Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:47 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

For the reading issue, I would also urge you to consider getting her evaluated for the specific reason she has fallen behind, like dyslexia. The school doesn't address dyslexia, only a "reading disability" and may not use methods that really help many kids with dyslexia. My daughter has severe dyslexia and never progressed with traditional special education services. So a year ago I took her to a dyslexia center and had her tested and she tested having severe auditory and visual dyslexia and has been making SO MUCH progress with a specialized tutor. The extra help they give her at school for her "reading disability" actually harms her progress, not helps. Which is frustrating.

This year I am going to have her dyslexia tutor work with her teacher and decline special services totally. I'm also going to record a video of a tutoring because the school has her leveled far behind where the tutor has her leveled. Reading for dyslexics is HARD and exhausting and she has been able to get the teachers to do a lot of reading for her by pretending she cant read at the level she is. And they don't believe me when I tell them.

Anyways this may or may not be helpful but I thought I would toss it out there. Finding out the root cause of the reading trouble might still be left in your lap to do, schools (in my experience) haven't been helpful with that. Then you can write an IEP to fit the specific needs of your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 04:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
Some of her reading problem could also be anxiety when it's time to read out loud to the teacher. Have you tried reading with your daughter at home to see how she's really doing?

Old 07-11-2016, 04:38 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Some of her reading problem could also be anxiety when it's time to read out loud to the teacher. Have you tried reading with your daughter at home to see how she's really doing?
Good point there too. My daughter does much better in places she feels safe and calm then in the classroom or places she feels anxious or pressured. Montessori programs tend to be very calm environments, but it could still be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting