Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:55 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verymortified
I immediately got out of the store and went straight home and told him to never say anything like that again and asked him where he heard it. He said at dad's. I have been trying to get ahold of my ex husband to talk about this but he hasn't been answering. But I am mortified and want answers.
I dont blame ya!!!!

Sounds like your EX is avoiding things........ I hope you can get it resolved!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
How does a 6 yr old even know what a prostitute is?????

Old 07-28-2016, 10:45 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Well mine learned from a game, grand theft auto, which he plays at his fathers. We do not even own a video game system.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Watching 5 minutes of completely uncensored TV Hollywood provides today. Time of day no longer matters. Access to a cell phone or computer with internet access or video games the raunchiness is inescapable even for the most innocent.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:34 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Watching 5 minutes of completely uncensored TV Hollywood provides today. Time of day no longer matters. Access to a cell phone or computer with internet access or video games the raunchiness is inescapable even for the most innocent.
Yep....the media is probably the most likely source.

Mom....you've had the 'talk' with your son about what is appropriate, and what is not, to say/ask people. Unless it happens again (or something very similar), time to let it go.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 PM

253 posts, read 304,919 times
Quote:
Reading the bible and/or going to church.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
Reading the bible and/or going to church.
That would require a lot of reading to simply find the word. The description is far easier to find in the media or internet.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:24 PM

253 posts, read 304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
That would require a lot of reading to simply find the word. The description is far easier to find in the media or internet.
That's definitely how I learned what a prostitute was. Pretty sure it first started with some sort of Sunday school lesson, likely also heard it mentioned in a christian tv program, probably first read it in a blurb in a children's bible stories book.

My point is that it's almost hilarious when people blame everything on specific types of media while ignoring that, in America especially, a huge amount of poor behavior and bigotry is explicitly taught in churches. That stuff carries over into pop culture. A lot of christian denominations have a special obsession with prostitutes, and it's a particularly nasty obsession.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
That's definitely how I learned what a prostitute was. Pretty sure it first started with some sort of Sunday school lesson, likely also heard it mentioned in a christian tv program, probably first read it in a blurb in a children's bible stories book.

My point is that it's almost hilarious when people blame everything on specific types of media while ignoring that, in America especially, a huge amount of poor behavior and bigotry is explicitly taught in churches. That stuff carries over into pop culture. A lot of christian denominations have a special obsession with prostitutes, and it's a particularly nasty obsession.
Of course there are many who claim to be christian. Let's not lump good folks in with the TV commercial evangelist profiteers/frauds, snake handlers and other unfortunate souls. This is the parenting forum not the christian bashing forum.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
OP - Other kids is your answer. Starting a fight with your ex over things like this is going to make for a very long and uncomfortable parenting experience.

The other day my 9 year old daughter pointed at a women in a full burka (she was with a toddler and a man dressed ethnically as well) and said "mom is that a terrorist?". I was...not too happy. I know she picked things up from the news, friends, random tis bits from adult conversations. No one taught her anything like that. We are very liberal leaning.

I put her hand down and said "we do not point at people". I know the woman had not heard us. When she got closer I smiled at her and her baby. I told her her daughter was very cute and we exchanged pleasantries. When she walked away my daughter said "mom, she is very nice". So I felt like I was able to do a little on the spot teaching.

I did readdress it with her later...in a calm way just to see what she is thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting